75 Gallon Fish Only Tank

Triggerfish31

I got my algae problem under control. I just looked into my 75 tank and noticed a lot of bristle worms crawling around on my rocks. What is the best way to deal with this problem? I have counted at least 20 worms in my tank.

Aaron :fish:

Unless they are extremely large worms I would just leave them alone. When I was just starting to keep saltwater tanks I used to freak out about trying to remove them. Now they are the least of my worries. Most tanks are going to have them and they help to break down solid fish wastes or anything that might accidentally die. Make sure you are not overfeeding your tank as the uneaten found will make them multiply.

Agreed with what was said above, but I like to limit the amount of scavengers in my tank to a degree. I let my asterina star population get out of hand, and I woke up to several stars devouring one of my dendro polyps. Two harlequin shrimp have put a stop to that. I had an ENORMOUS population of bristle worms in my tank, which has been severely cut back due to having 4 wrasses in my tank. Not gonna lie, I also have a personal vendetta against the bristle worms. I am VERY allergic to them, and my skin takes literally weeks to recover after a sting. I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hence me having 3 Melanarus wrasses in my tank ;)

Agreed with what was said above, but I like to limit the amount of scavengers in my tank to a degree. I let my asterina star population get out of hand, and I woke up to several stars devouring one of my dendro polyps. Two harlequin shrimp have put a stop to that. I had an ENORMOUS population of bristle worms in my tank, which has been severely cut back due to having 4 wrasses in my tank. Not gonna lie, I also have a personal vendetta against the bristle worms. I am VERY allergic to them, and my skin takes literally weeks to recover after a sting. I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hence me having 3 Melanarus wrasses in my tank ;)

ouch...and i thought i hated the way they feel like fiberglass in the skin....

Edited by GaryL

I don't think I have touched a bristle worm more than 4 or 5 times in my 16 years of keeping a reef tank. What are you guys doing that you come in contact with them so often?

I called the company up about getting a wrasse and got hounded because I did not have any live rock in my tank or some type of biological filtration. I have a 75 gallon tank, with 8 medium size rocks and one large rock in the tank, all of which have been in there since February. I am using two of the large Eheim Eco canister filter. I found out from the guy that I have fire worms instead of bristle worms. What other type of bio filtration do I need? I cannot afford getting a bunch of live rock for my system. I need some advice on what direction to go in. Or is it safe to just go ahead and by another fish for my tank.

:fish:

I called the company up about getting a wrasse and got hounded because I did not have any live rock in my tank or some type of biological filtration. I have a 75 gallon tank, with 8 medium size rocks and one large rock in the tank, all of which have been in there since February. I am using two of the large Eheim Eco canister filter. I found out from the guy that I have fire worms instead of bristle worms. What other type of bio filtration do I need? I cannot afford getting a bunch of live rock for my system. I need some advice on what direction to go in. Or is it safe to just go ahead and by another fish for my tank.

:fish:

I really don't think this guy can give you any accurate advice about your system or what type of worm you have over the phone.

It would help us out if you could post some pictures.

I don't think I have touched a bristle worm more than 4 or 5 times in my 16 years of keeping a reef tank. What are you guys doing that you come in contact with them so often?

Its not like I get stung all the time. I've only really had truly bad run ins with them when redoing my aquascaping. I also have a ricordea garden in the middle of my 92gal, and the rubble the ricordeas are attached to slowly sink into the sandbed. I periodically pull the rubble pieces out of the sandbed so they are resting on the DSB, and that is when I usually noticed a bunch of baby bristleworms everywhere. If you have a frag disk, or LR rubble piece laying on your DSB somewhere, pick it up sometime and I'll bet you have some worms hiding out underneath. I like to get my turkeybaster out every now and then and shake up the sandbed where the ricordeas are. Make the baby worms shoot out and the wrasses are quick to come out later to scoop them up. LOVE IT!!!!

Funny you say that I remember moving all my aninals to the new tank I found all kinds of Brisstle worms everywhere. I noticed the hermits and the six line wrasse have kept the population very low. Plus the feeding of the tank is kept very low. I only place enough food to feed the fish in there and that is it.

This is a test for my pic. Here is a pic of my tomato clownfish. If it does not show up, well then I have given up hope on putting pics on here. I have been having trouble on how to put pics on here. Maybe someone can explain on how to do it step by step.

This is a test for my pic. Here is a pic of my tomato clownfish. If it does not show up, well then I have given up hope on putting pics on here. I have been having trouble on how to put pics on here. Maybe someone can explain on how to do it step by step.

Don't use this site to post pics. Register for a free account at photobucket.com and upload your pics there. Then you can copy and past the IMG code from photbucket into the thread, and the pic will show up. Far and away the easiest way to do it.

for the noobs out there:

Click the little imgcapture.jpg up there. It will want you to use your WAMAS album. However, you can use the HTML img tag "[ img] url for your picture [/img ]" to accomplish the same thing. (Note: the HTML tags in the example have extra spaces in them so you can see the code.)

Photobucket generates the code for each picture as part of their service. You just cut and past the code from the picture entry. Really nice!

• 1 month later...

Here is a picture of a worm that I got out of my tank. Is this a bristle worm?

DSC_0001.jpg

yup, that looks like a bristle to me

When I trim back my chaeto I actually go through it and throw the bristleworms and any pods I can find back into the tank. Bare hands, and never been stung. IMO the bristleworms serve a purpose, and anything that eats detritus is OK in my book.

When I trim back my chaeto I actually go through it and throw the bristleworms and any pods I can find back into the tank. Bare hands, and never been stung. IMO the bristleworms serve a purpose, and anything that eats detritus is OK in my book.

WOW, Bare hands you have bigger Church Bells than most. I do agree bristle worms keep the sand clean.