75 Gallon Fish Only Tank

Triggerfish31

WOW, Bare hands you have bigger Church Bells than most. I do agree bristle worms keep the sand clean.

I am with Hilary. I bare hand them, too. No issues!

So, do I have Big Brass Bells!?! :why: :wig: liberty_bell.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i touch everything barehanded including bristle worms 3or 4x larger than the one pictured as well as anemones and other stinging animals and i havent noticed any problems. but the red cross said i have very thick skin so maybe thats it. i would say if you are worried contrlling feeding and cleaning detritus will control their populations for free but i see no need. i had so many in my tank early on and was worried so i got a wrasse which worked a little too well and i saw detritus accumulate more so be sure its a problem first

I called the company up about getting a wrasse and got hounded because I did not have any live rock in my tank or some type of biological filtration. I have a 75 gallon tank, with 8 medium size rocks and one large rock in the tank, all of which have been in there since February. I am using two of the large Eheim Eco canister filter. I found out from the guy that I have fire worms instead of bristle worms. What other type of bio filtration do I need? I cannot afford getting a bunch of live rock for my system. I need some advice on what direction to go in. Or is it safe to just go ahead and by another fish for my tank.

:fish:

Who ya gonna call? Not him, again, I hope...

It is NOT altogether easy to identify fire worms from other bristle worms, and absolutely impossible over the phone. (Hold the mouthpiece of the phone up to the tank and shout 'FIRE!' - I will be able to tell by the rustling sound which kind of worms you have. Trust me. I have a $149 fire-worm trap that will fix you right up!) Not to mention fire worms are uncommon. Someone posted on here a while back trying to find some - and didn't have much luck.

Medium and Large size don't mean a lot. You need 'about' 50-75 pounds of live rock in your system to keep the nitrogen cycle running. Do you have healthy fish in there already? Then your water quality will probably support a wrasse.

Do you measure your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, salinity, pH, alkalinity, and temperature? There are 'norms' between which you should remain in order to have a healthy tank. There are also bristle-worm traps, if your population is out of control. I think they are about $10. Out of control bristle worm populations are caused by excessive fish feeding.

Hope all that helps.

bob