Jon and Maureen's reef thread...finally

Jon, sorry to hear about all the damage done from the alk spike, that sucks. How is it going with some of those NPS? Great polyp extension on them!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it going with some of those NPS? Great polyp extension on them!

Thanks Chad. Both the orange and black tubastrea colonies are doing ok, have excellent PE, and are good eaters. The black sun coral lost much of the tissue between polyps soon after I added it to the tank, but the polyps themselves have maintained their health. Neither one has grown much, although the orange is spreading some. I target feed them a combination of cyclopeeze and rotifers a couple times a week, and they also capture larger food when I feed the tank during the day.

The orange dendrophyllia fistula, or "dendro", has grown considerably and has several new heads. I think it might like more room to grow, but I like it's location a lot and don't plan to mess with it.

The new stereonepthya didn't last long at all. It wasn't connected well to the frag plug when I received it, and it fell over in the tank a couple of times before detaching completely. I tried sewing the remaining pieces to a different plug, but by then I think it was too late. So now I'm on the lookout for another "lemon tree" stereonepthya. :)

The good news is I recently found some offspring from the black sun coral! I was clearing excess sponge growth off a trumpet coral and found two polyps of the black sun coral attached to the trumpet's branch.

Great tank! Keep up with the pics.

Jon,

got some real nice pink birdsnest if you want a frag LMK

Thanks guys. My pink birdsnest is growing back and I have a couple of frags of it left over if I decide to restart it. I really appreciate the offer, Chip.

• 9 months later...

Read this thread and was really impressed by the rockwork and the advice that was included. I am building a 150 from scratch (no experience) and will be picking up Live Rock this weekend. Your tips on choosing pieces and setting it up will certainly help. Thanks

Tom

• 1 year later...

Wiw is that a dramatic and sad ending!!!!!

Hopefully part deux will have us smiling and cheering!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4