Boret's 92g Corner Tank.

Boret

Thanks guys!!!

I've spent a couple of weeks reading about Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO, etc... but it make a big difference when you see this things live instead of reading the theory. I can see how I could use a Lens with a lower f to get better pictures. I still can't get a full shot with everything crisp, but at this point I think the round glass is the biggest impediment.

I will probably end up going for either the Canon T1i or the Nikon D5000. If I find a good deal on either one ill go for it.

The Nikon D40 takes great pictures but Nikon just released the D3000 that is supposed to replace the D40. So I am keeping an eye for a deal on one of those.

Another thought was to change the tank!! LOL For that kind of money (dslr) I can probably get a custom made cube. I have enough space for a 32-34 by 37-39" rectangle with a height of about 26-27".

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I really hate not being able to edit your own build thread. Wouldn't it make sense? It is your build after all.... anyway, I made a mistake it was SteveM who gave me the crush course in photography and not DavidM who I guess I just made up! :) Thanks Steve and sorry I got your name all wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks man!! What are you doing up this early?? :)

Well... almost 7am, I guess is not that early anymore. Had a tough day yesterday and went to sleep at 10pm got up at 5am... I am going to be tired today. I am getting the new ballast, the Vertex that I won online, today. Can't wait to try it out vs my current elec. Icecap ballast.

Edited by Boret

I'm curious to hear how the Vertex performs. I've heard some good things about them.

The tank is looking great Boret. I'm thinking about stealing your idea of a mixed ricordia substrate. :biggrin:

Thanks guys! The ricordea garden is definitely not my idea, I am copying it from Robz's old 90 gal tank.

Hunter, these are the same rics I got from coralmorphologic.com, I did get a new ric though that is not in those pictures, a very nice Pink Yuma, pricey but beautiful!!

Nice Boret,

I'm going to have to come over this weekend or so and take more time looking at your tank. Besides, I have to come over and return your autofeeders (by the way, thank you so much for letting me borrow them).

Thanks man!! What are you doing up this early?? :)

Well... almost 7am, I guess is not that early anymore. Had a tough day yesterday and went to sleep at 10pm got up at 5am... I am going to be tired today. I am getting the new ballast, the Vertex that I won online, today. Can't wait to try it out vs my current elec. Icecap ballast.

School starts at 7:55 for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have not updated the tank thread in a while!!

I have been busy with work and have relegated the tank to 3rd or 4th priority!! After family, friends and work! You guys know how it is.

Anyway, I had a little bit of free time this weekend and did a couple of projects.

First I placed the Calcium reactor in a more convenient place. I used to have the CO2 tank underneath the sump and it made it very difficult to adjust. The Ca Reactor was also kind of tough to access and it was time to add media. I decided to clean it as well and end up placing everything on a better location.

I also replaced the Aqualifter pump with a peristaltic pump.

This is what it looks like now:

mini-CalciumReactorKNOP_C%20.JPG

This is how I control the reactor, by measuring the pH of the effluent:

mini-Ca_Effluent_probe.JPG

I use a plastic container with a plastic lid. It is one of those they sell to hold screws in a peg board. I drilled 2 holes in the top to have the Ca Reactor effluent tube and to place the pH probe.

I then drilled several smalls holes in the container, about halfway up, so there will be about an inch and a half of liquid and the probe can measure the pH.

The second project (...still a work in progress) is a Sulfur Reactor.

I read this DIY article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-01/diy/index.php and decided that this was pretty straight forward.

Here the final result:

mini-denitrator2_labels.jpg

I still need to test for leaks and get the media. I haven't found a LFS that sells the Sulfur media, so I will have to order online. This is the media I need:

CS0528_1.jpg

The Sulfur Reactor it's supposed to be a great device to fight Nitrates. I have mine around 10ppm so it is not a huge issue. It is the byproduct of the reactor that I am interested in. The effluent of the sulfur reactor will lower Alkalinity. Mine is hovering above 12-13 dKh. I keep loosing Zoas and I think it is due to high alkalinity.

Looking good Boret!! Your tank has come a long way. Absolutely amazing. Making me reminisce about how my 92gal was before my crash :cry: :cry: I just sold that tank today actually. After seeing your tank, I'm wondering if I made the right decision.