Boret's 92g Corner Tank.

Boret

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!!!

I haven't advanced much lately. I had a couple of business trips and now I have friends over staying at home so that pretty much makes it impossible to dedicate any time to "the project".

I am still a little bit worry about the move. I am set on moving the 55 to the garage. That will give me the time and space to work on the new tank without having to coordinate a weekend move. If I try to move everything the same day and something goes wrong it could be a disaster.

I need to find out if I can hang the lights from the garage ceiling. Other than that I should be able to move it there without a problem. I think I can limit the chances of anything dying that way. Then slowly move things from the 55 to the 92.

Do you think I should cycle the 92? I am going to use all of my own rock and some live rock I will purchase. I will be using new sand and live sand, and might seed with some of my current sand. And I will use new RODI saltwater.

I might drill the 55 while it is empty, that might increase its resale value and let me get rid of the overflow box. I have to drill the corner tank one more time, so might as well drill both.

Still have to do a test run of the close loop. Can't do it until I get it drilled.

And probably, at some point, I might need assistance moving things around. So I might tap on WAMAS for some help one of these weekends. :biggrin:

Do you think I should cycle the 92? I am going to use all of my own rock and some live rock I will purchase. I will be using new sand and live sand, and might seed with some of my current sand. And I will use new RODI saltwater.

And probably, at some point, I might need assistance moving things around. So I might tap on WAMAS for some help one of these weekends. :biggrin:

Well, it depends on what you get as live rock when you purchase it. If you buy from a tank break down where the rock has been established for a long period of time, then no or very minimal cycle. If you buy it online or from an LFS, then you will have to completely cure/cycle it before adding it to your new tank.

JMHO :)

Good point! Gracias!

I was going to get the rock from a LFS, unless I can find pieces from a tank break down. I will keep in mind your advice!

• 7 months later...

It's been over 6 months since I last posted about the new tank.

I have been dealing with work issues to the point of almost relocating outside of the US.

As it stands right now I will stay in VA for another year.... so "the project" is back on the table.

Now is pretty cold, so keeping the 55 in the garage won

It's been over 6 months since I last posted about the new tank.

I have been dealing with work issues to the point of almost relocating outside of the US.

As it stands right now I will stay in VA for another year.... so "the project" is back on the table.

Now is pretty cold, so keeping the 55 in the garage won

Good to have you back!

• 1 month later...

It happened!!! After almost a year, I finally had the time to delve into the install.

I am only half done because all the corals and fish are still in the 55, but things are moving along!

Many tanks to Dschflier, he made it happen, without his invaluable help I wouldn't be posting these pics.

Thanks also to Origami and B-Fit for their help.

So here are some of the pictures. Please disregard the mess in the basement and surrounding areas..... it is still way better than it was yesterday!!

I have the plumbing and lighting done. I am still working on the electric, so don't pay much attention to the cables all over the place.

gallery_2631272_415_101827.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_168593.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_53112.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_124611.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_49820.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_50599.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_50001.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_275527.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_336179.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_343822.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_66924.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_11444.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_181012.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_235882.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_77512.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_137683.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_131477.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_52025.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_245417.jpg

Looking good. I say keep your 55 and plumb it together with the 90 and start packing the 90 with rock and corals :clap: You can never have too many tanks.

Any ideas on your aquascaping?

Looking good. I say keep your 55 and plumb it together with the 90 and start packing the 90 with rock and corals :clap: You can never have too many tanks.

Any ideas on your aquascaping?

He he he, if only I had the space for it. Right now it is in front of the fire place!!!

The 92 plus a 30-40 gl sump will have to do. There is some space undernith the 92.... maybe... lol

As far as aquascaping, I have a large piece in the corner. But I am waiting till the water clears up to start doing a bit more.

I am going to start mixing water from 55 and the 92, that should take care of the cloudiness associated with brand new saltwater. I have both of them at the same temp, salinity and pH. However, the water in the 92 is band new water, the one in the 55 its establish water. I am not sure if it would be a good idea.... In the other hand, the 92 is filled up with the same water I use for regular water changes on the 55, so it should work.

Any advice?

What about switching out a couple dozen gallons of the water in between the tanks for a week or two. Then just connect the two for about a week. That way the system would be the same water, and you could just swap over the corals.

In regards to aquascaping, if you have outflows of the closed loop in the back corners of the tank, I'd go with rock against the back to corners. As long as you have flow behind the rock to prevent detritus from accumulating, I'd push it all the way back against the glass. I made that mistake when I first setup 92gal, and not having the rock against the wall uses up ALOT of space in the tank.

Definitely looking forward to updates........

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see the aquascaping

Good to see you back, and the tank coming together. Two questions:

1. Where did you end up finding that flex PVC?

2. What did you end up deciding to do with your electrical situation?

~Mark

What about switching out a couple dozen gallons of the water in between the tanks for a week or two. Then just connect the two for about a week. That way the system would be the same water, and you could just swap over the corals.

In regards to aquascaping, if you have outflows of the closed loop in the back corners of the tank, I'd go with rock against the back to corners. As long as you have flow behind the rock to prevent detritus from accumulating, I'd push it all the way back against the glass. I made that mistake when I first setup 92gal, and not having the rock against the wall uses up ALOT of space in the tank.

Definitely looking forward to updates........

That is what I want to do. But it is still cloudy... its driving me nuts! I had new water for 4-5 days now and it is still cloudy! Maybe I should stop the Close Loop for a while...

I have both waters with same parameters.

Yesterday I took 20 gallons from the new tank and 20 from the old tank and swapped them. It is still cloudy.

How do I go about connecting both tanks James?

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see the aquascaping

Thanks D!!!! me too!

Good to see you back, and the tank coming together. Two questions:

1. Where did you end up finding that flex PVC?

2. What did you end up deciding to do with your electrical situation?

~Mark

1. I exchanged the 1" flex pvc I had with 3/4" from a WAMAS member.

2. I have built an "electric panel" with an old kitchen cabinet!! :biggrin: I then put the PC-08 Switch Outlets (we did a group buy sometime ago) in a wood door that opens so I can plug things in.... I will take some pictures. As far as dividing the load for all the new electrical devices I ended up running a thick extension cord from an outlet in the garage that is in a different circuit. I run half of the stuff in one and half in the other (the half based on actual watts consumed). I have an extension socket for the ACIII that allows me to divide the electric load and still control it from the same AC8. With pictures it will make more sense!

Got the rock, corals and fish in!

Still not done with the rock design but at least everything is in and alive.

It looks better than this picture. I need to borrow my friends Digital SLR. My pocket camera just doesn't do it justice.

gallery_2631272_415_130824.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great bud. What took you so long in getting the tank up and running? :) Looks great.

Thanks guys!

I will be posting some pictures soon. I added some corals and it is slowly coming along! I am thrilled!

Did you decide on a skimmer upgrade?