Boret's 92g Corner Tank.

Boret

OK now I am thinking what could be the best approach to lighting.

The canopy is 21" tall, about 19" inside and about 12-16" from Lightbulb to water.

I am pretty set on the lumenbrights, but I don't know if I want to do:

A. 1 Large Lumenbright and 2 24 VHOs

B. 1 Lumenbright Mini and 3 VHOs

C. 2 Lumenbright Minis and No VHOS.

A and B could be either 250 or 400W. If I get enough supplement I will do either the 12K Reeflux or go with a 10K Ushio.

If I go with option C then I will probably use 2 x 250w 20Ks to compensate for the lack of Actinics.

Some of my thoughts:

Option A: Much larger reflector, probably a better spread of light, but less access to the tank. Worse air circulation.

Option B: Smaller reflector, more space for VHOs, could get away with just 1 250W, less heat, better air movement, however less light spread... some areas of the tank won't be well lit.

Option C: Best Area coverage but almost no space for air movement, 500W definitely quite a bit of heat... maybe even too much light, no possibility of Actinics. Overall more expensive (2 of everything)

Here are some pictures to give you a better idea of the dimensions.

gallery_2631272_415_40763.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_59058.jpg

I also added the 1" Sea Swirl.

gallery_2631272_415_136915.jpg

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think BRK has it... I did also find this place [www.dtpetsupplies.com] online. Have anyone heard of them or done any business with them?

What type of Ballast is it? With the VHOs it will look great!

I also measured where those pipes will meet the wall and I am clear to drill thru no studs or cables, perfect location!

Definately go with the locline on the outputs of your PVC. You want to be able adjust the flow once you get everything in there. Other than that it's looking good!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!!

The canopy is done! Now I need to paint it. I actually feel pretty bad painting the wood... it looks pretty nice as is... and painting it black seems so ... oh well.

Anyway, here are the pictures and then some questions. :biggrin:

gallery_2631272_415_120804.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_82767.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_5866.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_133345.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_191141.jpg

This is way better than my first attempt at a canopy. I didn't have the tools so my first try was pretty crappy, however, it provided a lot of info as to some of the design aspects. Now, with the proper tools, at my friend's father's shop, we were able to come up with a very nice (imho) canopy. It is about 21" h in the inside, so plenty of space for lights. Right now I placed a 175w MH I had laying around so disregard the light.... I kept it on all night and it is fairly warm inside... so I am pretty sure that with a 250W, and definitely with a 400W, its going to get HOT. I have researched a bit on fans, and I found 120mm computer fans that are virtually silent. I will get a couple and put them on he canopy.. not sure where...

At first I thought I will put them on the top, (heat rises right?) but that will flood light in the room... So my next option is to put them on the side that will face the wall and my small "wet room". I can then drill a big enough hole in that wall and have the heat go from the canopy into the room. But, if I am not getting any cool air in, I really don't know is only exhaust is going to accomplish anything. I will probably end up getting a chiller.....

PAINT

I want to paint the inside white and the outside black.

What paint should I use?

I have even thought about taking it to a paint shop and have it spray painted, both the canopy and the base. I have used the spay cans, but I am not totally thrilled with the "look/feel". I think I might want to just use a brush instead.

Do I need to treat the wood prior to painting it?

CORNER

There is a picture where you can see what I did in the far corner. I left that in there for integrity of the canopy, however... it does take a bit of space and blocks quite a bit of light on that corner.... just with the pictures... if I cut that round piece.... am I going to mess the integrity of the whole thing?

LOC LINE

Got the lock line in. I'm not sure if you can tell, but that is my first idea on how to direct the Close Loop otputs.... Any ideas? Suggestions?

Chip, it is taking forever!!! But at least I am planning the whole thing and taking my sweet time. Hopefully it will payoff at the end.

As soon as I have the canopy painted and all the lights in I will be ready to start "hunting" for Live Rock. I just don't have enough in my 55. I also need to get sand... I want to go with very fine sand, kind of risky with the close loop, but I really like that look.

I also need to redo the wet room. I want to create a new sump, get a new skimmer and place my reservoir tanks (fresh and saltwater) underneath the stairs. Maybe even setup a remote Deep Sand bed.

Right now I am also dealing with large pH swings. I go from 7.62 to 8.15

I was thinking on adding an air stone and introducing fresh air into my refugium to see if that helps with the pH.

With the pH getting as low as it does now my Ca Reactor is never kicking in.

I topoff with Kalk water...(pH 12) and still it remains that low at night.

Very impressive!!! Very nice work.

With regard to:

CORNER

There is a picture where you can see what I did in the far corner. I left that in there for integrity of the canopy, however... it does take a bit of space and blocks quite a bit of light on that corner.... just with the pictures... if I cut that round piece.... am I going to mess the integrity of the whole thing?

I'm not an engineer but I suggest leaving the corner as is.

I wouldn't worry about the space or "blocked: light.

Keep in mind that the canopy is hinged and there will be some tension on the structure when it is opened and closed. I think you corner design is neat and will help maintain the integrity.

Finally, in the WAMAS tradition, you can never have TOO much structural integrity

(edited)

Thanks Steve!

About the corner..... that is what I thought. I left enough room for the 1" Sea Swirl and the 4 PVC 3/4" pipes. I didn't go all the way to the corner because I wanted to be able to lift the whole canopy without taking the Sea Swirl. I should have built the base with acrylic, but I only thought about it when it was almost done.

All I need now is hydraulic lifts for the door! :) (Remotely controlled of course!!)

I am also thinking about placing the VHOs attached to the side columns inside the canopy instead of on the top.

I will probably go with the Lumenarc mini. It is 7" high, so I could place the VHOs 7" from the top, on the side... and maybe have a 3rd one on the top front.

Edited by Boret

i love the wood color-- its looks nice as is--

but correct me if im mistaken if you paint (by brush) than i believe treating or priming it may be a good way to go if its not entirely needed...

but i would think an antique varnish (stain?) would look really beautiful also-- (not brown but a black one-- but that gets real messy i think.. not sure haha)

looks really nice!!

Another option would be to sand down the stand and use the same stain you used on the canopy. The canopy just looks too nice to paint over.

In regards to heat, I just cut four holes in the top of my canopy, and the heat just rises out of my canopy. The holes are 4" in diameter and the air flows out well. I also have on hole on eat side of the canopy. I just got a couple fans to place in the side holes. Should help the heat rise out even faster. I have all my equipment in the closet next to my tank, and a fan helps keep my tank below 80degrees. I might have to hook up my chiller later in the summer though. We'll see.

Also, if your friends Dad can build a canopy like that, why not ask for his help with building a new stand??? Sorry man, that canopy is just too nice. You could also have him build the stand a few inches taller. My stand is 30" tall, and I still have to bend over to see stuff way in the back. Another 6-9" taller would be so nice, so I could just walk up and see everything without having to bend over. Steveoutlaw hates this about his old 92gal, which is why he made his second stand much taller.

P.S. I've still got that Lumenarc mini for sale if you want it.

Boret,

Awesome setup job so far! Love your ideas on the lighting!

IMO: I would recommend the 250w MH 10k with 2 x 24" T5 Daylight Bulbs in the back and 2 x 24" T5 Actinic+ on the front. Put the Lumenarc setup with the bulb 10" from the waterline with an AIRDUCT to draw out the air around it through your back wall and out of the room. 2 x 4" Fans, one blowing just below the T5 Daylight bulbs.

Attach the back T5 to the side walls with reflectors pointing down to the tank and put the 2 front T5 on hangers so you can raise/move them out of the way for maintenance?

My stand is 30" tall, and I still have to bend over to see stuff way in the back. Another 6-9" taller would be so nice, so I could just walk up and see everything without having to bend over.

Agree, Mine is 42" at the base and top of water line is equal to my eyes height! No bending to enjoy a great job!!

Looking forward to the tanktour!!!

:cheers:

i love the wood color-- its looks nice as is--

but correct me if im mistaken if you paint (by brush) than i believe treating or priming it may be a good way to go if its not entirely needed...

but i would think an antique varnish (stain?) would look really beautiful also-- (not brown but a black one-- but that gets real messy i think.. not sure haha)

looks really nice!!

Thanks!

I like the wood color as well, that is why I am rethinking painting it. I do however think that the main focus should be the tank itself, and that is why I like to paint it black.

Another option would be to sand down the stand and use the same stain you used on the canopy. The canopy just looks too nice to paint over.

I think that sanding down the stand will be a pain.

In regards to heat, I just cut four holes in the top of my canopy, and the heat just rises out of my canopy. The holes are 4" in diameter and the air flows out well. I also have on hole on eat side of the canopy. I just got a couple fans to place in the side holes. Should help the heat rise out even faster. I have all my equipment in the closet next to my tank, and a fan helps keep my tank below 80degrees. I might have to hook up my chiller later in the summer though. We'll see.

I will probably end up with a chiller. The idea was to block all the light coming out from the canopy as much as possible. Any holes that face the ceiling or the room will flood light in. I will have to provide ventilation for sure... however the whole heat issue is making me lean towards putting a single 250 MH light instead of 400.

Even if I add a chiller, cooling down the canopy will increase the life of the bulbs and will also limit the amount of heat that goes into the room. If I get a lot of heat from the canopy I will end up spending more money on A/C cooling the basement.... I will probably end up adding fans either way, maybe with some type of grille that redirects the light, something like this:

fangrille.jpg

Also, if your friends Dad can build a canopy like that, why not ask for his help with building a new stand??? Sorry man, that canopy is just too nice. You could also have him build the stand a few inches taller. My stand is 30" tall, and I still have to bend over to see stuff way in the back. Another 6-9" taller would be so nice, so I could just walk up and see everything without having to bend over. Steveoutlaw hates this about his old 92gal, which is why he made his second stand much taller.

I am limited on the amount of space I have to the ceiling. There is a vent duct just above where I want to place the tank, so my total clearance is 84". I might be able to raise it a few inches if I dont open the canopy completely, maybe lowering the piano hinges. Right now, when I open the canopy it stand 82" tall.

P.S. I've still got that Lumenarc mini for sale if you want it.

I know!! I will probably PM u about it soon! :)

Boret,

Awesome setup job so far! Love your ideas on the lighting!

Thanks!

IMO: I would recommend the 250w MH 10k with 2 x 24" T5 Daylight Bulbs in the back and 2 x 24" T5 Actinic+ on the front. Put the Lumenarc setup with the bulb 10" from the waterline with an AIRDUCT to draw out the air around it through your back wall and out of the room. 2 x 4" Fans, one blowing just below the T5 Daylight bulbs.

Attach the back T5 to the side walls with reflectors pointing down to the tank and put the 2 front T5 on hangers so you can raise/move them out of the way for maintenance?

Agree, Mine is 42" at the base and top of water line is equal to my eyes height! No bending to enjoy a great job!!

I agree with your approach to the light scheme. I will probably end up doing something very similar to that.

If I use a single 250 MH I am pretty much forced to use 10k just to keep up with the demand of light, because I want to have "tons" of corals! Maybe if I supplement enough blue with the VHOs I can keep a good blue coloration.

Looking forward to the tanktour!!!

:cheers:

Anytime!!!

Thx Steve!!

I am thinking of using Spray Paint Enamel for the stand and canopy. White for the inside and black for outside.

At Home Depot they only have the Rust-oleum brand.... any idea what to expect from that paint?

I was also thinking of taking both to an autopaint shop. I called one close by to get a $$ estimate. They are supposed to call me back.

I remember seeing some great specials like $100+ for cars... what could be pretty crappy for a car (at that price) might be ideal for the stand and canopy. Any thoughts?

All I ever did for my canopy was use one coat of white primer and a high gloss white latex paint.....both brushed on.

I was also thinking of taking both to an autopaint shop. I called one close by to get a $$ estimate. They are supposed to call me back.

H-E-double hocky sticks - why don't you just see if they could chrome the inside of the canopy for you! :biggrin:

All I ever did for my canopy was use one coat of white primer and a high gloss white latex paint.....both brushed on.

H-E-double hocky sticks - why don't you just see if they could chrome the inside of the canopy for you! :biggrin:

how sweet would that be??? LOL :)

UPDATE on Canopy.

Hi there.

These are a few pics of the canopy. I finally decided to paint it black on the outside and white on the inside.

gallery_2631272_415_176128.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_126333.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_91327.jpg

I think it came out way better than my first attempt:

gallery_2631272_242_184317.jpg

Thanks Larry!

I haven't been able to test the Close Loop yet. Hopefully this weekend I will have the time to set it all up.

I am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of work that the whole transfer is going to take. It just doesn't seem a very simple task.

I still haven't acquired the new skimmer or the lights.

Based on whatever skimmer I get I will have to decide on the sump.

I want to have the CL pump as far as possible without much of a performance hit... mainly to maintain noise levels very low.

I have to place the new tank in the same location as the current 55 so I have to move the 55 into the garage, and then move the 92 into the corner. I will have to move the sump, skimmer and lights also into the garage to keep everything alive.... I really hope that I don't loose livestock...

I am thinking about taking my time with the move of the livestock.. meaning, setting up the 92 with new sand and new water and cycle it while the 55 remains in the garage.

Just an idea... the whole mechanics of the move/swap is driving me nuts!!!

Any ideas/suggestions are very welcome!!

We're going to be getting some days in the 90's so I would be very careful of the heat. Is there any way you can just move the 55 out of the way but still keep it close? At least temporarily until you get the 92g setup.

Good point Steve.

Nice thing about my garage is that it is air conditioned. The house used to be the model home and they used the garage as an office.

Right now my garage is 72, and temp outside is 83.

(edited)

Taking your time is a good idea. I recently sold my 65 and had NAGA make a 96 for me. I have the fish and some critters and some LR in the basement in a 55 attached to a 30 gal refugium. We have now decided to remodel the room the display tank will be in but I'm not in any pressure to keep things alive.

Edited by Larry Grenier

everything looks great! Nice job!

quick question: what size bulk head did you use for your drain? What do you think the GPH will be with said drain size and how far down did you drill the hole from the top of your tank?

1 and 1/2 inch drain. About 3 inches from the top, but I will measure and tell you for sure when I get home.

All I want is for the drain to handle the GPH of the return pump (Mag 9.5) which I am guessing would be around 600 gph given the 2-3 feet head.

1 and 1/2 should handle over 1200 GPH.