Ricordea's

CHUBAKAH

Been doing a lot of homework lately to see which direction I am going to go with my reef tank. I've been on lots of boards [obviously not as good as this one], and I see very little talk of these specimens, and curious why that is? I saw a "post your softie tank" over at CMAS and while I saw a few tanks with them, IMHO those were the best looking tanks.

Thoughts?

Any of you selling them?

Anyone growing them?

Anyone have them?

Edited by CHUBAKAH

I really like ricordeas.... !!!

I was turn into them when I saw ROBZ's old tank. You can see it here.

At some point I would like to have a tank like that!! The whole "carpet" of ricordias and zoas is beautiful.

If you see some good deals on ricordias let me know!! I will keep an eye on this post to learn more about them. I currently have 3 and they are all doing fine... not growing... but not dying either ;)

Edited by Boret

25 views, and two comments?

Haters!

;)

I've had 3 or 4 different types and they all die :(. I think my hermit crabs eat them, but I'm not sure if they just start doing that when the coral starts going down hill?

What sort of lighting, tank position, and waterflow do you keep them in?

Granted I haven't had mine for very long, but so far they're doing great just in the sand in my tank. I've read that they don't like extremely strong lightling so mine are all close to rock. So far, so good!

We did a group buy about a year ago for some (I think 'Rik in Arlington arranged it). We got some really nice ones. I got a a bright blue one with red mouth, came with two mouths. Now there are about 7 in my tank. I really like them, great variety in colors.

I love 'em!!! I don't have very many though. Just a couple morphs. I would love to get more and plan to have more when my new tank is up and running. :)

Rics.jpg

We did a group buy about a year ago for some (I think 'Rik in Arlington arranged it). We got some really nice ones. I got a a bright blue one with red mouth, came with two mouths. Now there are about 7 in my tank. I really like them, great variety in colors.

Have any for sale?

I have one that cbashaw gave me over a year ago. It's doing fine. I wish I had more! Perhaps we could ask Mr. Coral could do a special???

Sure, I would love to trade some of the blue ones I have for some frags Gadgets or tonkadawg. Let me take a photo tonite. Yours look great Gadgets.

I love Ricordias, I think they look cool. I got my first one a couple of months ago, it moved off the plug it came on and left bits of itself on the plug which grew into two more. I got an orange one from Bkmarket with two mouths which is starting to split. Give bkmarket a pm, I think he had a few to sell.

Wreck

My experience with ricordea floridas is that they are quite hardy and excellent specimens for propagation. Like most coralimorphs they prefer lower lighting and lower flow, though the can be adapted to higher flow/lighting (though I wouldn't go as far as to say that I would ever place them 3" under a 400w HQI lamp with 2 Tunze 6100s pointed at them). The are known splitters in the hobby and can also be sliced in half a la the Chip and his anemones.

Yumas seem to be a different breed. IME they should be placed in low light and low to moderate flow. I wouldn't even bother with trying to acclimate them to full halide lighting. Anecdotally some will say that they can be, I say why bother. If you can, get a captive split/propation/baby as opposed to buying a wild yuma. Wild yumas have a notoriously horrible track record. I know of people that have purchased 6-8 pink yumas (at a cost of from 100 up to 250 per mushroom) all on different occassions, only to have them perish. Ouch!

Garrett.

Here is a pic of my red yuma that I've been propagating. It was one, it is now three.

Sllice2.jpg

Here is a pic of a pink florida that I've been slicing and dicing:

G_Ricordea.jpg

I bought one from Mr Coral when he had the March Madness sale. It is blue and red I call him superman!

Pic on the far left

DSC00029.jpg

Well how would everyone like to spend as little as $9.00 bucks a piece for them for 3/4" to 1" inch.

Yes ladies and gentlemen I have found a supplier in Florida who sells group buys! I just got off the phone with him and if we take over 50 of them, he will work direct with me to customize an order and give us as much as we want.

We'll have to spend at least $450 for 50 to get the ball rolling.

We could just get a 10 pack for $100, so don't worry if your not ready to go large!

Who is with me, and I'll get a thread going in the group buy section?

:clap:

Well how would everyone like to spend as little as $9.00 bucks a piece for them for 3/4" to 1" inch.

Yes ladies and gentlemen I have found a supplier in Florida who sells group buys! I just got off the phone with him and if we take over 50 of them, he will work direct with me to customize an order and give us as much as we want.

We could just get a 10 pack for $100, so don't worry if your not ready to go large!

I'M IN !!! I'll take 5 different ones!!

I'm in, I'll have an idea of how many I want in a bit. But to be clear, what type of rics are these? I'm assuming florida, but you never know, they could be yuma... :why:

It looks like I confused Faviaa with Ricordea. Don't ask me how :(. I've got a single ricordea head as of a month ago and I'd love to have more. I'm up for a group buy.

In case you're in more of a hurry... Marine Scene just got some ricordia florida's in. I saw them today, but not yet priced.

bob

Well for those of you that don't have access, we had a group buy on some of these [just under 90 pf them] and we all met this morning to distribute them. I'm curious to see how everyones are doing. Are they all swelling up and gaining color by the minute?

:biggrin: