"Recipe" for 1.025

Hilary

Before I move to the trial and error method, does anybody else mix to 1.025 on a regular basis, and if so, how much IO do you add? It's 1/2 cup per gallon to get 1.022, just not sure whether to add 1 tsp, 2 tsp..... to get 1.025.

I've got a good refractometer. I'm looking for a measure to use that will get me close when I do check it (like the overflowing cup :) ).

I've got a good refractometer. I'm looking for a measure to use that will get me close when I do check it (like the overflowing cup :) ).

I use a measuring cup from the kitchen, and go slightly above what the directions tell me. Usually gets me to within +/- .001 of 1.025

Hope that helps.

All you have to do is to keep track of what you put in next time, then use that same amount next time..

LOL. Measure out how much salt you use the next time you make 1.025 and you won't need to use the refractometer as much :). That said...I don't know the answer.

I have a very good system for getting 1.025 every time.

Get a good refractometer.

Yea, I was just hoping that somebody ELSE had kept track and could just pass on the knowledge.... I think I'll try the slightly above/overflowing method and see how close that gets me. Thanks!

I did measure it out to figure out once but changed salt mixes and can't remember which one it was that I measured - they are not all the same.

I find it changes amongst batches but 11 cups for 25g gets me close.

I also check my tank and go from there since sometimes it;s needs a higher or lower batch.

i did the guess and check method for the first couple batches. after that, you tend to know. might i suggest using a solo cup as your measuring device. easily replaceable when it needs it and you can just leave the cup in the bucket of salt. then just figure out how many solo cups of salt for the amount of water you normally make. future batches become much easier.

i did the guess and check method for the first couple batches. after that, you tend to know. might i suggest using a solo cup as your measuring device. easily replaceable when it needs it and you can just leave the cup in the bucket of salt. then just figure out how many solo cups of salt for the amount of water you normally make. future batches become much easier.

Which size solo cup do you use Brian? :biggrin:

Which size solo cup do you use Brian? :biggrin:

I used the little yellow ones when all I had was the nano. I mixed water in 5-gal buckets then. Since I have the nano, a 29 gal QT and 2 120gal the 5-gal bucket of water wasn't doing it anymore so I have 2 44gal Brutes now :biggrin:

... and I use the standard frat party beer cup to measure salt :cheers: also the regulation beer pong cup :)

takes about 4 cups in a trashcan of water.

Edited by Brian Ward

My method for super accuracy...

Put 30 gallons of water in a 36-gallon trash can.

Add salt until it looks about right.

Measure salinity

Add more salt or more water to taste.

Measure salinity

Add more salt or more water.

Measure salinity

Repeat until correct, or you feel really stupid.

bob

2.5 C for 5 gallons gets me pretty close.

I use 3 cups for 6 gallons or 5 cups for 10 gallons. It is sometimes close.

...Add salt until it looks about right....

Add more salt or more water to taste.....

bob

Bob,

A good friend of mine does that. He can accurately judge salinity by taste. I personally can't, but I have seen him do it. I once challenged him on it, and he got out a refractomoter and proved his assertions about the salinity. I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes...

John

Very easy, I use one full scoop from my old cereal bowl per 5g of water and just about perfect!!!

:biggrin:

Obviously we're a bunch of scientists, here... heaping scoops, cereal bowls, just until it tastes right...

And then after willy-nilly throwing salt in water - we pull out a fancy refractometer and measure it to the thousandths....

Yeah - it's an odd hobby.

bob

Now that I actually think about it, I do kinda have a method.

Fill your water resivoir to it's normal level.

Measure SG.

Add one level cup of salt.

Mix / stir / wait.

Measure SG. Make note of the change. Lets say the change was from 1.020 to 1.021

Now you can pour half a bag of salt in instead of measuring out each cup, and once you are close you only need measure once. If you get 1.023 then you know you need two more cups.

You still need to measure, but only once.

SO is 1.025 what everybody is mixing now a days?