Yauger's 120 SPS Reef Build

Hey guys, just wanted to start a thread on here to document my plans & design of a 120 gallon (4'x2'x2') acrylic reef tank. I'm still in the process of designing the tank and need your help on the design to ensure I'm doing things the right way (more like in a way that will work)... It's still going to be a long while until this tank sees water but you can never begin to plan to early... I hope to have this system finished by the end of summer...

The first problem I'm having is designing the 4 return lines for the OM4Way... any suggestions?

Also in the drawings you will notice that I do not have the main return pump lines in there so I need suggestions on where I should place them...

The 2 holes in the overflow box will be 1 1/2" drain holes... the one in the back of the tank will be the feed line to the Sequence Dart running the OM4Way this is a 2" hole...

gallery_1704_364_12333.jpg

I'm Planing on using the extra space in the overflow box as a frag staging area, the box will be close to 6 inches wide so it can accommodate a retro T5 lighting over it...

gallery_1704_364_56100.jpg

I wanted to add this view so you can see the coast to coast overflow design... I will have grates on the drain openings to prevent and one wondering over the coast to coast flow....

gallery_1704_364_130239.jpg

Edited by yauger

Dang dude, and here I was thinking of using graphing paper and pencil to draw out my new tank's design. I was thinking that if I go with Naga's custom built, I would put a coast to coast outside the tank as well.

Put them in the bottom corners (sides or bottom) pointed up towards the middle.

you mean in all 4 corners? I did this one my 180 reef tank but I wasn't too happy with the actual flow path... generally I want to have a circulating patter of flow that eventually leads up to the overflow... Is this even possible?

Dang dude, and here I was thinking of using graphing paper and pencil to draw out my new tank's design. I was thinking that if I go with Naga's custom built, I would put a coast to coast outside the tank as well.

yeah I did that too until I was told using google's sketchup program is free... very cool program and very realistic measurements, on top of that I can have NAGA build exactly what I want and he can understand by looking at the drawing..

yeah I did that too until I was told using google's sketchup program is free... very cool program and very realistic measurements, on top of that I can have NAGA build exactly what I want and he can understand by looking at the drawing..

Google sketchup???? I need to look into that. Thanks dude.

James

Yauger - You can keep an eye on my 120SSO build to see how my overflow works out. I plan to do the screening on the standpipes themselves to lessen the visual impact from the front - Have to see how it works out.

If you use my stratos side idea you'll gain a lot of structural soundness on the overflow and it will help out on the top bracing required - plus it looks cool.

Once I get things rolling you are welcome to come check it out for ideas that might help you.

_Matt

I personally would be worried about having livestock in the overflow box. You're not worried about corals falling over and blocking the drains? I'm sure precautions could prevent this, but still sounds risky. Maybe I'm just paranoid after having my HOB overflows clog on me and cause a flood.

I personally would be worried about having livestock in the overflow box. You're not worried about corals falling over and blocking the drains? I'm sure precautions could prevent this, but still sounds risky. Maybe I'm just paranoid after having my HOB overflows clog on me and cause a flood.

James, I have one of those calfo overflow box exactly like How Yauger showed it except that his extends the length of the tank and it's on the outside vs the inside of the tank. Dan made it for me when I first got into the hobby. Most likely Yauger will have egg crate over the the over flow box and there will be bars where the water flows into the overflow to keep fish from getting in there.

James, I have one of those calfo overflow box exactly like How Yauger showed it except that his extends the length of the tank and it's on the outside vs the inside of the tank. Dan made it for me when I first got into the hobby. Most likely Yauger will have egg crate over the the over flow box and there will be bars where the water flows into the overflow to keep fish from getting in there.

siunds just about right, however the overflow or cut into the tank to allow water to flow over will only be one inch tall but four feet long... should keep the bigger fish out but if a snail walks in that will be okay because I plan on keeping a filter on the drain pipe to prevent them from going down... and I have no worries about the overflow box falling because its jeff building and he builds them tough...

BTW any suggestions on how I should place the return pipes?

Put them in the bottom corners (sides or bottom) pointed up towards the middle.

I've seen this type of set up before and it can be very effective.

I assume the back panel will be a solid color panel, if not, you're likely not going to be happy.

Not as bad if it's on a side panel due to reflection.

I cut this type of overflow into my tanks with external overflow boxes. This one is on a side.

IMG_2264.jpg

I like it better than the whole slit overflow since the water level in the tank is not as low.

I've been keeping tabs on this thread and I have a question for Yauger....

why have the slot on the back? Why not have just have that back piece at the level you want the water level to be? That way the tank looks a lot cleaner.............take a look at stratos's tank and the back panel in particular.

Jeff

why have the slot on the back? Why not have just have that back piece at the level you want the water level to be? That way the tank looks a lot cleaner.............take a look at stratos's tank and the back panel in particular.

Jeff

Jeff,

If I'm not mistaken, yauger probably think the same way I did. He based it on the calfo's design of the overflow box with slots.

(edited)

Jeff

Because with that design anything large or small can flow over the edge into the overflow box... with having a small (however long) cut out for the water to flow out I can utilize the overflow box to house anything I want in addition to keeping the main tanks inhabitants out... I'm not to worried about the water level being 1 inch below the tanks top, in most of the systems I have ever seen or had myself the water level in the tank is that way... besides it gives me a sense of security that the water wont overflow the top....

I've seen this type of set up before and it can be very effective.

I assume the back panel will be a solid color panel, if not, you're likely not going to be happy.

Not as bad if it's on a side panel due to reflection.

I cut this type of overflow into my tanks with external overflow boxes. This one is on a side.

IMG_2264.jpg

I like it better than the whole slit overflow since the water level in the tank is not as low.

interesting going to look further into this type of box... get back to you on this... might need some more advice...

Jeff,

If I'm not mistaken, yauger probably think the same way I did. He based it on the calfo's design of the overflow box with slots.

you hit the nail right on the head with that comment, your right I have seen many calfo's designs and am a big fan of them...

Looks like I most likely go with Jeff's custom built and most likely I will copy your design placement for my tank as well.

not a problem, if you want I can give you the final design file so you can take a look at it and modify whatever you choose then send it to Jeff...

Edited by yauger

you hit the nail right on the head with that comment, your right I have seen many calfo's designs and am a big fan of them...

Dan was the one who introduced me to calfo's design. I like your idea of having the overflow on the outside so you don't lose any valuable real estate on the inside of the main tank. That's the one main issue I have of the calfo's internal overflow box.

not a problem, if you want I can give you the final design file so you can take a look at it and modify whatever you choose then send it to Jeff...

Thanks, dude. That would be awesome.

What's the dimension of your new tank? I originally wanted mine to be 5'X30"X30" but I'm reconsidering the height of the tank and perhaps reducing it down to 24". I like the height but the more I think about it, it's going to be hard for someone my size to reach down toward the bottom of the tank without me falling in.

What's the dimension of your new tank? I originally wanted mine to be 5'X30"X30" but I'm reconsidering the height of the tank and perhaps reducing it down to 24". I like the height but the more I think about it, it's going to be hard for someone my size to reach down toward the bottom of the tank without me falling in.

the main display usable space will be 4'x2'x2' however the external overflow box will add an extra 6 inches to the width... the calfo box will be a total of 48"x6"x8" enough space to allow me to incorporate a frag grow out area and the width will allow a T5 bulb to supplement the lighting aside from the main display lighting... I saw this original design by someone on RC a long time ago, always been a fan of it...

the main display usable space will be 4'x2'x2' however the external overflow box will add an extra 6 inches to the width... the calfo box will be a total of 48"x6"x8" enough space to allow me to incorporate a frag grow out area and the width will allow a T5 bulb to supplement the lighting aside from the main display lighting... I saw this original design by someone on RC a long time ago, always been a fan of it...

I thought about having the overflow on the outside when I talked to Jeff at the last meeting and not realizing that someone else had already thought of it and did it. I read that you were only going to have your overflow 1" deep, is that correct? Is there a particular reason for that?

I thought about having the overflow on the outside when I talked to Jeff at the last meeting and not realizing that someone else had already thought of it and did it. I read that you were only going to have your overflow 1" deep, is that correct? Is there a particular reason for that?

thats correct, I want it only 1" tall for the opening of the overflow to prevent larger items from flowing over... this way I can minimize what can actually fit down in the overflow box... with having the overflow being 1" tall may limit the flow into the overflow but with having it 48" wide flow shouldn't be a problem...

Decided on this configuration for the closed loop OM4WAY drain and return... let me know if you see a problem with the design...

gallery_1704_364_130812.jpg

Still thinking of a efficient way to plumb the return lines from the main Sump pump...

Why not go with vertical slots on the overflow instead of a long horizontal slit? 1" is still pretty big and a lot of fish (and what have you) will be able to get through that. A series of 1/4" or 1/2" vertical slots though would accomplish the same thing and with each opening being smaller it would allow for less "stuff" to get into your overflow.

G.

Why not go with vertical slots on the overflow instead of a long horizontal slit? 1" is still pretty big and a lot of fish (and what have you) will be able to get through that. A series of 1/4" or 1/2" vertical slots though would accomplish the same thing and with each opening being smaller it would allow for less "stuff" to get into your overflow.

G.

originally I thought of doing that but the design I have now isn't an issue for me... if anything I will add some gutter guard to prevent fish or what not from going down...

The issue I'm having now is the main return lines from the sump pump, where to place them is what I'm unsure about...

Well it is sort of obvious I am being ignored and talked around via this thread..not quite sure why. I have no problem if you like my new tank and want something similar..so everything is cool from my side. Did I do something to offend? Let me know what's going on.

Anyway, since you side-handedly mentioned it - I thought a good deal about the things going over the weir prob while planning...I will first use screened standpipes to see how it works out. If I find I have to restrict more - then Plan B is to pressure fit a 48" long piece of screened eggcrate between the top brace and the external overflow's bottom plate. Pretty simple.

I am also a Calfo fan too James and when I showed him my acrylic stratos side design last Oct he said it was "wonderful to see" which I thought was cool coming from the man himself.

_Matt

Well it is sort of obvious I am being ignored and talked around via this thread..not quite sure why. I have no problem if you like my new tank and want something similar..so everything is cool from my side. Did I do something to offend? Let me know what's going on.

Anyway, since you side-handedly mentioned it - I thought a good deal about the things going over the weir prob while planning...I will first use screened standpipes to see how it works out. If I find I have to restrict more - then Plan B is to pressure fit a 48" long piece of screened eggcrate between the top brace and the external overflow's bottom plate. Pretty simple.

I am also a Calfo fan too James and when I showed him my acrylic stratos side design last Oct he said it was "wonderful to see" which I thought was cool coming from the man himself.

_Matt

dude I'm not ignoring you, as a matter of fact I have read your build thread 3 or 4 times now... sorry if I haven't responded directly to you about your design... I do like the way you built your and I have spoken to Jeff about it also, the only issue I have is when Jeff told me how much extra $$ you put down to do your tank... It had something to do with the level of difficulty of installing the calfo false back overflow.. so basically I came up with this design to prevent the sudden jump in price...

Again trust me I'm not ignoring you...

Back to the tank.. I have run this 4 or 5 times in my head now and it seems to work, the main return lines will go through the bottom of the overflow then elbow 90 degrees into the display tank... I'm planing on having a check valve on the return lines in addition to siphon breaks to prevent flooding during a power outage... let me know if this should work...

gallery_1704_364_128721.jpg

_Matt

Matt,

If you don't mind, I would like to make a trip out to your place on one of these weekends so I can see how you have yours to get some ideas on what works and what doesn't.

Yauger - Ok cool, no problem..invite still stands btw.

Matt,

If you don't mind, I would like to make a trip out to your place on one of these weekends so I can see how you have yours to get some ideas on what works and what doesn't.

Sure James...sounds great..In a few weeks I should have a good start on things. You can check out my discus setup as well..got to get you back into them.

_Matt

Edited by stratos21ss