Yauger's 120 SPS Reef Build

Yauger - Ok cool, no problem..invite still stands btw.

Sure James...sounds great..In a few weeks I should have a good start on things. You can check out my discus setup as well..got to get you back into them.

_Matt

WAIT!!!!

Did I read that right? You're a discus man too? WOO HOO!!!!

The chloramine in the water killed 4 of my discus last year and I didn't even know it until the water authority guy came out and tested my water. I'm left with 3 discus. I would like to get 3 more for my discus tank, but I can't at the moment.

Make sure your rockwork plans will cover that shotgun blast size hole you have planned in the back

no doubt... big hole is for the Sequence Dart pump 2" intake... wish it could be smaller... I guess I could do 2 1" intake lines and join them together for the pump... would that still work?

Once I get things rolling you are welcome to come check it out for ideas that might help you.

_Matt

Very cool, when can I stop by? you're not far from me so anytime would be okay...

no doubt... big hole is for the Sequence Dart pump 2" intake... wish it could be smaller... I guess I could do 2 1" intake lines and join them together for the pump... would that still work?

I think someone had a question about that on a different thread. One of the suggestions was that you could put a Y valve so you'd have 2 intakes to reduce the amount of suction it would otherwise cause with one large one.

I think someone had a question about that on a different thread. One of the suggestions was that you could put a Y valve so you'd have 2 intakes to reduce the amount of suction it would otherwise cause with one large one.

yes you can do that but I have read that you can modify the output of the pump but if you restrict the intake even a little the pump might make excessive noise and break prematurely. is this even true?

Figured I'd post a final rough draft of my tank design with the top on...

let me know what you think...

gallery_1704_364_243051.jpg

gallery_1704_364_24637.jpg

gallery_1704_364_179077.jpg

Figured I'd post a final rough draft of my tank design with the top on...

let me know what you think...

I still prefer the vertical bars slit over your old design and new design with the two round holes for water to flow into your overflow box.

(edited)

I still prefer the vertical bars slit over your old design and new design with the two round holes for water to flow into your overflow box.

I don't understand... "new design with the two round holes for water to flow into your overflow box."

maybe you can draw it for me?

**James can you edit the pics out of your reply?

Added a black background for the tank... gallery_1704_364_266656.jpg

This way you can't see pipes and what not behind the display...

Edited by yauger

Yauger - tomorrow from 2pm..on is fine.. I'll pm you the info..

James - That's why I use ClorAm-X for my discus water storage..been through that excitement. I have f1s from a cross I did last year..great shapes and size, but they don't reflect the cross due to being first generation..they will when further line bred together..but if you want to balance out your 3 with three more come over and they're yours. There is a pic of them on a thread here somewhere when they were younger..and on daah. I know they will be in a good home if you get them.

_Matt

I don't understand... "new design with the two round holes for water to flow into your overflow box."

maybe you can draw it for me?

**James can you edit the pics out of your reply?

Added a black background for the tank... gallery_1704_364_266656.jpg

This way you can't see pipes and what not behind the display...

Sorry dude. With this last picture showing the view of the tank from behind, I see that you still kept the old design with an opening all the way across your tank. Those two round holes in the back of the tank where the overflow box is, what are they for?

Yauger - tomorrow from 2pm..on is fine.. I'll pm you the info..

James - That's why I use ClorAm-X for my discus water storage..been through that excitement. I have f1s from a cross I did last year..great shapes and size, but they don't reflect the cross due to being first generation..they will when further line bred together..but if you want to balance out your 3 with three more come over and they're yours. There is a pic of them on a thread here somewhere when they were younger..and on daah. I know they will be in a good home if you get them.

_Matt

I used to use sodium thiosulfate to remove chlorine from the discus water storage tank because at the time I was told that they only use chlorine. Once I found out that they use chloramine and chlorine in high doses, as in 3.5 ppm with 4.00 ppm being toxic to human as well, I went back to using Amquel plus. How much do you want for those three discus?

James..I don't want anything for them..I think you know all the work that goes into breeding and raising a group of these so it is nice to give up the extras to someone who appreciates them. Pm me whenever you can arrange to come by on a sat/sun. and get them..bring a cooler and/or some med/large fish bags. Sorry Yauger for cluttering up your thread!

_Matt

Hey Josh, I would be leary of that 2" hole... I have never used a dart, but if you can open up another hole in the back of the tank, or even a couple of holes, you'll reduce the flow through the intakes enough so that you don't get fish stuck to them. I know that when I plumbed the barracudas I have onto 1.5" intakes, the draw was enough to pull snails out of their shells so I split each into two separate 1.5" strainers but even that was enough to grab a fish and pull its eyes straight through the sockets so that one was not in the head anymore and the other was in the wrong side...

Also, is there going to be bracing or is it rimless? If there's bracing, you can also drill the bracing and have returns through the top of the tank.

Never mind, saw the bracing...

Hey Josh, I was finally able to read through your whole thread - great find on Google SketchUp - I'm going to be using it for plans on the stand I told you about yesterday.

Anyways, the tank plans look great, but I'll echo what a few others have said about the suction on that 2" intake for your CL. I had a 2" intake on my 75 and it was just way too much. You'll be a lot happier if you broke the intake up - say maybe 3 1" (evenly across the back) Y'ed/T'ed into a single 2" feed to the pump.

Also, if you ever need help, an extra set of hands or what ever, just let me, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

-Matt