Wanna show me your tank?

amay121

All,

I'm looking into purchasing a 90G and would like to get ideas on plumbing and well everything else on setups. Anyone mind me coming over one day and snooping around to get some real visuals?

Here's what I'm looking to do so far (just a list):

90G AGA w/ overflow or 90G Oceanic w/ overflow

20G long for sump (to include a fuge) or should I just buy a separate 10G and use it as a fuge?

ACIII so maybe I can control everything

10G for the ATO

AirWaterIce Typhoon III (I don't want to buy water and lug it anymore)

GreySeas Aquatics Shorty (heard so many great things)

Current USA Outer Orbit (2x 250W MH and 4 54W PC w/ moonlights) or should I just do a DIY kit and build a large custom canopy (seen this done everywhere on the boards with 2x250W MH and some T5s).

Am I missing something here? Someone have a similar setup that I can take a look at? I'm in Gaithersburg so the closer the better.

You have more or less described my tank and sump. I am using a DIY 2X250 MH + 2X54 T5 canopy, a DIY Ca reactor and a Euroreef skimmer. It works fine, but I would probably go with a 120 and a 30 or 40 breeder sump if I could turn the clock back. Will try to find some recent pix to post.

im upsizing to a 90g RIGHT NOW! i use a gsa shorty, a 29g sump, and dual pfo 175mh w/ t-5 supplement. if you want to see it sometime, shoot me a pm. i live in middletown and will be around most of the weekend. :)

I've got a 75g reef, gsa standard 6 skimmer, deltec kalkstirrer and T5 lighting. I live in Germantown and you can come up anytime and see if you want to

I've got just the oppisite of all of that... a completely unplummed tank no over flow at all. It's rather unique in it's construction/inhabitants as well. So probably not what you're looking for but I'm pseudo local, Im in Laurel, feel free to stop by.

All,

I'm looking into purchasing a 90G and would like to get ideas on plumbing and well everything else on setups. Anyone mind me coming over one day and snooping around to get some real visuals?

Here's what I'm looking to do so far (just a list):

90G AGA w/ overflow or 90G Oceanic w/ overflow

20G long for sump (to include a fuge) or should I just buy a separate 10G and use it as a fuge?

ACIII so maybe I can control everything

10G for the ATO

AirWaterIce Typhoon III (I don't want to buy water and lug it anymore)

GreySeas Aquatics Shorty (heard so many great things)

Current USA Outer Orbit (2x 250W MH and 4 54W PC w/ moonlights) or should I just do a DIY kit and build a large custom canopy (seen this done everywhere on the boards with 2x250W MH and some T5s).

Am I missing something here? Someone have a similar setup that I can take a look at? I'm in Gaithersburg so the closer the better.

I am in Columbia, MD and have close to that setup. I have the 90G with a 20L with a fuge built in. I have the 10 also, but I use it for qt. You are more then welcome to stop in and see it. Nothing too fancy but I like it!

Oh live rock, don't forget the live rock and if you think you have enough keep going!. Plus you will need to decide on your bottom covering, are you going bare bottom or Sand? If you are going sand you will need to figure out your sand bed type and depth.

Just to add my $.02, get the biggest sump/fuge you can fit in the space.

Remember that when the power goes-out, the level in the sump/fuge goes up.

Also, I think it's nice to have a good-sized fuge.

Just to add my $.02, get the biggest sump/fuge you can fit in the space.

Remember that when the power goes-out, the level in the sump/fuge goes up.

Also, I think it's nice to have a good-sized fuge.

With the AGA overflow, it only goes up a little, but that's one of the problems with the 90, the footprint is such that it's harder to get more than a 20 gallon long under it.

Amay, the next few weeks are awful for me, but I would be happy to give you a full tour later in the month.

Here's a shot from last year. All my photos of the sump and build are on a dead site, so I need to reassemble them.

whole013107_7458.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Big Country

shawns

mogurnda

sheac12

Thanks for the invitations, I will have to swing by sometimes soon to get more ideas. Man, one of these days someone should have a frag trade fest at their place, I'll bring the burgers and even some beer. Maybe when it's warmer.

Anyone want to help sponsor this? Have a BBQ frag trade at their place with members bringing food or what not and having everyone marvel at your tank?

I'd nominate DaveLin because of his 300g monster, but he may not appreciate all the company. :)

Thanks everyone.

Big Country

shawns

mogurnda

sheac12

Thanks for the invitations, I will have to swing by sometimes soon to get more ideas. Man, one of these days someone should have a frag trade fest at their place, I'll bring the burgers and even some beer. Maybe when it's warmer.

Anyone want to help sponsor this? Have a BBQ frag trade at their place with members bringing food or what not and having everyone marvel at your tank?

I'd nominate DaveLin because of his 300g monster, but he may not appreciate all the company. :)

That's a tank tour. Sometimes people do it but no one has for a while... probably in warmer weather there will be a few.

Yeah - I need to start organizing one. I think Larry's new tank when it's set up, Ybenormal, and me - we're within 10-12 minutes of one another. SteveOutlaw is only 10 more minutes...

Wonder who else is near the Georgetown South end of Manassas/Woodbridge.

bob

Wait for summer... I'll have a tank tour and you can trade away! If you're in the area, feel free to let me know as well and you can see what I've done in the tank room.

Wait for summer... I'll have a tank tour and you can see what I've done in the tank room.

I thought you cleaned that up? :eek:

So some minor modifications to my list of things to get:

90G AGA w/ overflow

20L - sump/fuge/return

GSA Shorty

Current Outber Orbit 2x250 4x54 T5 w/ lunar

Sequence Dart (Return)

90 or 120 lbs of sand (AragaMax)

100 lbs of Fiji (May include some marshall, but I'm staying away from Tonga branches)

4 Koralia 4s - to help with the current (this is still in the air)

I'm gonna leave the ACIII out for now until I get things setup then add it back.

Anyone see anything that I'm missing here? I've read that some people suggest using the eggcrates under the sand for LR stability, any suggestions?

After I've acquired everything, I may need some help figuring out the plumbing (not rocket science, but still) so if anyone is around I'd be more than appreciative for the help, but this will be a few months out still.

• 2 weeks later...

The one suggestion I can make is go with a larger sump. With a 90g tank you should be able to fit a larger container under it as a sump. I have a multi stage sump under my tank. I use a 20G tall as my fuge and it is packed full of macro, LS and LR. I have 2 wet/dry filters that I used as increased water volume (there is nothing in them no bio balls or sponges just extra water volume) all of these drain into a 30g tote from walmart that has my skimmer and return pumps in it. My main tank is a 72g bow and I have roughly 180g of total water volume. Oh yeah I have a 55g that is pulumbed into the system also that serves as my frag tank.

So look into a tote from walmart ($7 they work well as sumps) You could always use a 10g drilled as your fuge. If you would like I can post some pics of how my stuff is plumbed together.

So some minor modifications to my list of things to get:

90G AGA w/ overflow

20L - sump/fuge/return

GSA Shorty

Current Outber Orbit 2x250 4x54 T5 w/ lunar

Sequence Dart (Return)

90 or 120 lbs of sand (AragaMax)

100 lbs of Fiji (May include some marshall, but I'm staying away from Tonga branches)

4 Koralia 4s - to help with the current (this is still in the air)

I'm gonna leave the ACIII out for now until I get things setup then add it back.

Anyone see anything that I'm missing here? I've read that some people suggest using the eggcrates under the sand for LR stability, any suggestions?

After I've acquired everything, I may need some help figuring out the plumbing (not rocket science, but still) so if anyone is around I'd be more than appreciative for the help, but this will be a few months out still.

Have you checked out the dedicated tank forum? Lots of ideas and pictures there... tanks of all sizes. Our system is larger and more complex than you're looking for, but if we can help, PM us anytime. We're in your area.

Edited by FishWife