Automatic top off

Connor

what would be a good automatic top off to get. I have a trip coming up and thought that it would be easier for the person taking care of my tank if I got one.

Connor

I would get one of these:

http://www.autotopoff.com/products.html

Spend the extra loot and get the double switch one. If the first float switch sticks or jams, the second one will stop the pump preventing an overflow. And make sure to get the snail guard as well.

How sensitive are float valves? My sump level moves around due to the water flow splashing down there.

How sensitive are float valves? My sump level moves around due to the water flow splashing down there.

Mine is pretty sensative. I have a lot of water returning into my sump which causes some up and down. I hear the float valve clicking on and off when it gets close. It stays at the same level.

a week over spring break. My whole family is going so im going to get one of my neighbors to feed my fish. But since i just put a new metal halide over my 29 gallon tank theres alot of evaporation and i dont think that my neighbor is going to remember how much water to add.

Connor

Mine is pretty sensative. I have a lot of water returning into my sump which causes some up and down. I hear the float valve clicking on and off when it gets close. It stays at the same level.

Cut a piece of big pvc pipe and mount it so it creates a "quiet" area around your float.

You run several risks by not having this in place.

Don't think it will stop stuff from forming on it, it will increase it.

Cut a piece of big pvc pipe and mount it so it creates a "quiet" area around your float.

Won't the "quiet" area will still be subject to any water movement (pressure) within that portion of the sump. The surface movement will be negated but it still may be affected by pressure.

I have the www.autotopoff.com double setup and it work flawlessly. I add an extra measure of safety and only have it come on for two fifteen minute periods during the day.

Regarding sensitivity of this unit:

On mine, the floats are in the section of the main return pump. The return line has a oceanmotions diverter on it and as the device switches from on exit port to another. One of the return ports will 'push' water in the main tank towards the overflow (not directly). The result is I can see a slight rise during this time in the overflow chamber and drops slightly when the flow is directly to the opposite side of the tank.

This in turn will increase slightly the water ending up in the sump resulting is a slight rise and fall in the return portion of the sump. So, during the fifteen minute periods when the float switch is active and has filled the area, the ever so slight movement of the float because of what I just described will cause the solenoid on the topoff water line (direct RO/DI input) to switch on/off. Not constantly, just for a little while until probably I get above 100% fill in this chamber and the float is no longer affected.

Email autotopoff.com and ask them about your concerns.

what would be a good automatic top off to get. I have a trip coming up and thought that it would be easier for the person taking care of my tank if I got one.

Connor

I went with the one stop setup by Tunze. Yes, I could have saved some money, but this includes the pump, dual float switches, and all the tubing you need. After I priced it all out for different options, I decided that all the extra work was worth just getting this:

On second thought, I'm not so sure I would do this now. I just looked the unit up. The price has increased significantly since my purchase.

I tried putting in a link, but its too long to show up properly. The actual device is called TUNZE Osmolator Universal 3155. I know that BRK has them in stock most of the time.

-Karl

Edited by Boxxr

Chip, can you elaborate on the risks?

I've been eyeing getting some sort of auto-top-off float switch thingy, but haven't gotten around to doing it... would like to know as much as possible before getting one...

(edited)

I would get one of these:

http://www.autotopoff.com/products.html

Spend the extra loot and get the double switch one. If the first float switch sticks or jams, the second one will stop the pump preventing an overflow. And make sure to get the snail guard as well.

Jamesbuf, Thanks.

I've been planning an auto top off and this was the missing link. More to come. I'll post my experience.

Edited by stevearlen

Too hard to see with the little pictures

Too hard to see with the little pictures

I get error messgaes when I try to post anything over 100x100....

I get error messgaes when I try to post anything over 100x100....

just discovered this from dhoch:

Easiest way is this:

1) Create a gallery

a) Click the "My Controls" link at the top towards the right of every forum page

b) Click the "Your Albums" link on the left hand side menu on the control panel page

c) Click the "Create Album" link

d) Fill in form and click button

2) Upload pictures to your gallery

a) Click the "Gallery" link at the top of the wamas web pages

b) IN the Wamas members gallery subheading list (Tanks, Coral, Clams, Fish, Anemones, Equipment, Hitchhikers) find the most applicable category for you picture and click it

c) Click the new image button (towards the top right hand side)

d) Give your image a caption (title), some text (main box), and then click the browse button just below the form this will allow you to browse to the picture that you want to add, select and click add, and then click the "Post image button"

Repeat this process for any additional pictures you want to upload

3) You shortcut button to add pictures from your gallery to your message

a) Start a reply or new message in the forum

b) Click the button that looks like this:

c) In the popup window that appears will be a list of all the images in your gallery, click the one you want and the code to insert it will be automatically added to your post.

bottom half tank shot with legacy top off in left rear:

gallery_687_344_95626.jpg

space for 5.5 gal auto top off to right of sump & in front of H2O alarm

gallery_687_344_53525.jpg

built by

gallery_687_344_65945.jpg

trust but verify:

gallery_687_344_77629.jpg

passed IV&V:

gallery_687_344_84654.jpg

Reusing old Eheim tube:

gallery_687_344_6690.jpg

Pump, short piece of hose, and tube:

gallery_687_344_37516.jpg

Top Off:

gallery_687_344_84322.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest beatle

Haha, great build, Steve. :clap:

I hope you didn't move that tank yourself. If you ever need a hand, you can always call. I may not show up, but you can still call. :cheers:

On a more serious note, how has that pump fared. I had a tiny Rio pump on topoff duty and I blew it up in a month. I use an Aqualifter now. Cheap and silent. I think this is what they were made for (or water changes on a pico reef).

I'm going to have to make one of those simple DIY jug ATOs until I can afford something more high tech.

I just installed a pvc pipe around mine and it works great. Thanks for the info.

:cheers:

I just installed an ATO from autotopoff.com and it works great. I got the dual float model with snail guards for $50.

Wreck