What's your most expensive fish in your tank?

davelin315

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$100....too much, but I had a $50 credit at Exotic Aquatics:

gallery_696_6_35775.jpg

That was my favorite fish I had in my old 180gal. Can't wait till I have a tank large enough tank to have one again.

how do you sohal owners keep your fish alive?i like them but was warned against it for obvious reasons

how do you sohal owners keep your fish alive?i like them but was warned against it for obvious reasons

Not sure what you mean. The only thing I was ever told was that they were mean, but I never had issues with mine. It was the smallest tang in the tank though.

holacanthus_clarionensis_subadult505.jpg

I want one :biggrin:

So what is that called???

I never really heard anything bad about them Jamal...what have you heard?

I've had mine over 2 years, he eats EVERYTHING: formula 1, 2....PE mysis, and all the caulerpa i can grow in my giant fuge...great fish. I got turned on to them when I saw Eve's big one years ago.

tim

mortgage

Dan, if you are serious I need to know ASAP as they are landing in the US on Tuesday. I am offering a pretty killer deal for ones preordered and picked up the day of arrival, only 1/2 a mortgage.

mortgage

Smartarse. Give up the name. Help us out Johnny.

I'm surprised you're not looking for one of these:

centropyge_interruptus.jpg

Edited by jamesbuf

Smartarse. Give up the name. Help us out Johnny.

Holacanthus clarionensis

(Clarion angel)

from Mexico

Edited by dshnarw

I have to say, those 2nd two are awesome! What was that first pair? Rock Beauty angels with something wrong with their eyes? ;)

OK, so the question is mortgage in Great Falls or Georgetown or mortgage in a West Virginia Trailer Park?

This little guy... welcomed by his tankmates and happy at first, but now MIA :(

th_HelFireFishGobyHug.jpg

'Ric

holacanthus_clarionensis_subadult505.jpg

I want one :biggrin:

Oh.......................... that's a beautiful angel.....................

This a very rarely import large angel type. The pix is shown a juvenile Clarion angel. Forgot what the reason for it not to be regularly imports from Baja, Mexico. :) I don't think the lack of it as the reason.

Edited by vaironman

I have to say, those 2nd two are awesome! What was that first pair? Rock Beauty angels with something wrong with their eyes? ;)

OK, so the question is mortgage in Great Falls or Georgetown or mortgage in a West Virginia Trailer Park?

I'll assume it isn't WV trailer park. I've never seen them for sale, but WWM uses the terms "astronomical" and "win the lottery" for a description. They were considered for the endangered species list, but I'm not sure if they were put on it, so I bet that doesn't help the price any.

well i have heard that they are really mean and will beat up all of your fish. has anyone ever lost a fish to the sohal

well i have heard that they are really mean and will beat up all of your fish. has anyone ever lost a fish to the sohal

Mine is definitely a bully, but never killed any other fish. About a year or so ago I added a hippo tang which was maybe 1/4 the size of the sohal (maybe less), and the sohal picked on it constantly. I though the sohal would kill it, but after a while he started more or less leaving the hippo alone. I still have the hippo.

tim

I'll assume it isn't WV trailer park. I've never seen them for sale, but WWM uses the terms "astronomical" and "win the lottery" for a description. They were considered for the endangered species list, but I'm not sure if they were put on it, so I bet that doesn't help the price any.

It is a clairion angel, dont know when they were ever brought into the country, and dont know when they will ever be available again, this may be a once in a lifetime shot. Its one of those fish that is you have to ask the price you cant afford it. lol

johnny do you know approximately how many will be coming into the country overall? I never heard if mexico put a cap on their numbers. more for just wanting to know since i prefer not to spend more on a fish then my whole tank setup..... yet.

as for my most expensive fish.... probably the regal angel, to be fair it wasnt that expensive to get initially, but man has that thing given me bouts of stress. So worth it though.

its all yellow head no blue any more as its started its adult morph and is close to 1 year in my tank.

btw this is all johnny and copps fault i have one. I just had to listen to Ybe back in 06 going let me take you over to see this store since you joined wamas.... :biggrin: there was one in the tanks, and then copps had his 3....

My wallet hates you both gentleman, my passion for reefkeeping is mostly your guys and the initial wamas ppl i met (dave chip raf phisigs) fault for gettign me this deep :cry:

It's funny how I've yanked so many people into my passion for angels... :biggrin: It's no coincidence that Johnny has access to all of these rare angels... :)

To answer some questions on the clarion angels...

The major breeding populations of these fish are found in the Revillagigedos Island chain ~500 miles off the coast of Mexico. A small population of waifs (individuals spawned in the islands that larval drift to the mainland) can be found at the bottom tip of Baja California, Mexico near Cabo San Lucas. They are very few and far between there however. Mexico stopped issuing permits for this species years ago. About fifteen years ago I would see this fish for sale for $300 to $400 dollars when it was collected on a fairly regular basis. As with most angelfish with a limited geographic range, it is very common in the small areas where it is found.

The importer has worked Baja Mexico for ages, and finally worked out a one time permit to collect a small number of these clarions after years of work. I've been keeping in touch with him... this is a very exciting time for angelfish nuts, and this is one of the few species that Americans get first crack at... :) After they stay here for a very short while whatever doesn't sell will go to Asia. There is no way to tell when they will be available again, but they will never be a cheap fish due to the logistics of getting out there to collect them and for many other reasons... These guys are the smallest of the Holacanthus genus, attaining only about 8 inches or so... and quite obviously gorgeous throughout their lifetime... On preorders Johnny is offering a killer deal relative to what they'll be going for in a little while...

As for Centropyge interrupta, if you're interested in those contact Johnny also... we should be bringing some in soon if there is the demand... Here's my captive raised male...

interruptus_captive2.jpg

It appears orange with the flash of the camera... but is near solid blue in the tank...

interruptus_captive.jpg

Oddly enough he is paired up with the one and only captive raised Centropyge joculator ever produced... read more about the marriage here...

joc_captive2.jpg

Sadly, I recently received a very rare pair of Centropyge debelius that were dead within six hours after taking a rough ride here... very sad, as it will be a long time before I even have the opportunity to purchase this fish again... a real beauty...

centropyge_debelius366.jpg

Of course, the special angel caught in this thread sold for $10,000 in Japan... :eek:

I'm sure Johnny could get us one koi that would outprice all of these fish combined though... so it's all relative... :)

Copps

johnny for the heck of it what would a 10,000 dollar koi look like? got any photos you wanna share?

john that was an incredible dive, man i do think i should take bob fenner up on going snokeling in HI at some point, the photos are astonishing.

so when are you getting your rebreather cert and catch your own john?

so when are you getting your rebreather cert and catch your own john?

It's not that easy... these guys dive them regularly and that remains the only personatus caught... the rebreathers they dive cost $10,000 and much more in training... if you do not regularly dive them it's not really worth it, as the logistics of working them are much more complicated than any dive computer... and the penalty of course is death...

Tourism to Midway in the NWHI may be opening up again soon, where personatus can be seen at standard diving depths... I'm hoping that will come soon enough... :) And with luck this fish WILL be bred again in captivity and available to the trade... just a matter of time... what a fish though! :biggrin:

12me.jpg

18personatus.jpg

I'll wait for Johnny to chime in the koi... but from my end this is a koi to me... that would garner near six figure pricing in Japan! :)

queen_koi.jpg