How do you make an ASOV SO??

lanman

How do you get the Automatic Shut Off Valve on your RO/DI filters to Shut Off?? Apparently they respond to back-pressure? How do you make back-pressure in a trash can, etc...

Thanks,

bob

the back pressure comes from the float valve that you should have in your trash can. That way once the water level reaches the float valve, it shuts off the incoming water flow (which slowly causes the pressure to increase in the RO/DI shutoff valve) and trips the RO/DI shutoff valve. It's not very clear when trying to verbalize it, but a picture makes it a little easier to understand.

Exactly as madmax said, Bob. When I got my Typhoon III setup from AirWaterIce. com, the unit came with an ASOV but I had to buy the float valve to install in my rubbermade reservoir to trigger the ASOV.

If I understand correctly the auto shut off valve stops the feed completely to the RO unit. Therefore there would be no waste water when the shut off is shut.

I am considering getting a RODI Sytem. Are these shutoff valves 100% reliable? I would hate to come home to a flood.

David B.

I use a float switch and solenoid. Once water rises, solenoid closes and shuts off main water supply. With a float valve you shut the water off to the container but then the water runs out the waste water line.

The ASOV senses the back pressure when the float valve in the storage container closes and shuts off the water to the drain. The only danger of flooding is if the float valve sticks.

Chris,

Make sure you have redundant float switches since they are also known to fail eventually--but only when you are not around to notice! Set them up so they are both "normally closed" and install one slightly higher than the other.

The ASOV senses the back pressure when the float valve in the storage container closes and shuts off the water to the drain. The only danger of flooding is if the float valve sticks.

Chris,

Make sure you have redundant float switches since they are also known to fail eventually--but only when you are not around to notice! Set them up so they are both "normally closed" and install one slightly higher than the other.

Okay - what do these float valves look like??

bob

Ah... I think I found them. Coralife makes one. Kind of like a toilet valve :)

Anywhere locally I can get one? My unit already has an ASOV on it. Don't need the 'kit' like Coralife is selling which includes an ASOV.

bob

Ah... I think I found them. Coralife makes one. Kind of like a toilet valve :)

Anywhere locally I can get one? My unit already has an ASOV on it. Don't need the 'kit' like Coralife is selling which includes an ASOV.

bob

I saw about 5 at BRK yesterday. You must have been too distracted with those expensive corals you were getting! :)

I saw about 5 at BRK yesterday. You must have been too distracted with those expensive corals you were getting! :)

Yeah... I don't think Johnny's buy one get 1/2 off the second one sale was designed with me in mind... I got $65 OFF on the 2nd one.

Wasn't planning a BRK run this weekend, but...

bob

If I understand correctly the auto shut off valve stops the feed completely to the RO unit. Therefore there would be no waste water when the shut off is shut.

I am considering getting a RODI Sytem. Are these shutoff valves 100% reliable? I would hate to come home to a flood.

David B.

Never a problem with mine. The ASOV does shut off the water, I tested it to prove it to my self (waste line in a bucket to see if it was flowing, nothing. Deactivate the ASOV (demand for RO water) and the waste line will have output.