Overflow Boxes and Tanks

Guest Bethesda_Jim

Guest Bethesda_Jim

Good Morning Wham-******,

My wife said the strangest thing in the world the other day when I told her I was going to move my 75 gallon tank. She said (you're not going to believe this) it would probably be easier if I bought a new 75 gallon tank and just transferred everything! So, anyone know where I might find a new 75 gallon at a good price? I have found a place in Maryland that will sell me a glass one for $135. If you've seen a better price let me know.

Also, I wanted to take this opportunity to purchase an overflow box as well. Does anyone have recommendations? I am currently using a non-tube siphon overflow which is a real pain to clean. All thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks a million,

Belthesda_Jim

Edited by davelin315

Agree with get one with internal "powerflow" and save all the headache of siphon every few days to restart the overflow tubes. Go for a 90G with same dimension to be able to reuse your stand and canopy.

Good point fellas.

The lights are old and bulbs need to be replaced anyway... which is almost as much as a new unit.

Gotta have a new stand, might as well get a new canopy to match.

need new filters / sump to insure smooth transition from one to the other.

The new tank will be in a different spot anyway, I'm sure you can find an extra 2 feet.

SO I suggest the 175 bow front. 3x250w DE MH w/t-5s and mega big skimmer. may need a new RO/DI unit, bigger pump, more rocks, more fish, coral, snails, sand...

Since you are getting all this new stuff, and don't need anything from the old tank, might as well keep that up and running as a low-light tank.

it was her idea

So, anyone know where I might find a new 75 gallon at a good price? I have found a place in Maryland that will sell me a glass one for $135. If you've seen a better price let me know.

Wally's has reef ready AGA 75s for $199. Non reef-ready are $99, but won't be in stock till Tues.

I'd spend the extra $100 if I were you. A good overflow box (CPR) will cost you more than that. If you really want an external overflow box, I'm a big fan of CPR. I just bought and installed a big one (CPR 150: 1600 GPH) but that cost $130. I think the CPR boxes are a totally superior design.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Guest Bethesda_Jim's_wife

it was her idea

;) What are you people doing to me? ;) For the record, the proposal was to buy a replacement 75 so Jim could use the same lights and stand.

But, I do have to say I like the idea of an internal overflow...the overflow box is so unattractive. And I guess Xmas is around the corner....but I think I'll be more careful with my suggestions from here on out. ;)

Guest Bethesda_Jim

Uh oh! Busted.

;) What are you people doing to me? ;) For the record, the proposal was to buy a replacement 75 so Jim could use the same lights and stand.

But, I do have to say I like the idea of an internal overflow...the overflow box is so unattractive. And I guess Xmas is around the corner....but I think I'll be more careful with my suggestions from here on out. ;)

Wally's has reef ready AGA 75s for $199. Non reef-ready are $99, but won't be in stock till Tues.

I'd spend the extra $100 if I were you. A good overflow box (CPR) will cost you more than that. If you really want an external overflow box, I'm a big fan of CPR. I just bought and installed a big one (CPR 150: 1600 GPH) but that cost $130. I think the CPR boxes are a totally superior design.

tim

What and where is wallys? Thanks!

What and where is wallys? Thanks!

Wally's is a fish store in Alexandria:

6493 LITTLE RIVER TURNPIKE

ALEXANDRIA, VA 22312

703-354-3399

If youre going there, you might as well go to SuperPetz (just down the road), which does some things well and many things very poorly:

4415 John Marr Drive

Annandale, Va 22003

703-256-2400

These 2 places both often have great tank prices.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

C'mon, go ahead and just get to where you're going to get to... buy the 400 gallon acrylic that is on sale that includes two sumps!

C'mon, go ahead and just get to where you're going to get to... buy the 400 gallon acrylic that is on sale that includes two sumps!

Yeah, then let it sit around for a few years and start a long thread about how you will set it up some day...

LMAO!!!! SO busted! :bb:

I guess I won't suggest the 210...

bob

If you're going for brand new, go reef-ready, as big as you can do without getting busted again by wife or budget. A good overflow box will just be adding what you would pay additional to have RR. As far as overflow boxes go though, if that's what you end up with, I reccommend the CPR which is what I have... works great and has a decent profile without looking obnoxious.

Did you for 1 minute think that you wouldn't have everyone telling you to do a full up-grade? Busted or not, they will keep doing it, so I encourage Bethesda Jim's wife to give in a least a little more.... for better or worse, and this affliction requires intense upgrade therapy to cure.

Good Morning Wham-******,

My wife said the strangest thing in the world the other day when I told her I was going to move my 75 gallon tank. She said (you're not going to believe this) it would probably be easier if I bought a new 75 gallon tank and just transferred everything! So, anyone know where I might find a new 75 gallon at a good price? I have found a place in Maryland that will sell me a glass one for $135. If you've seen a better price let me know.

Also, I wanted to take this opportunity to purchase an overflow box as well. Does anyone have recommendations? I am currently using a non-tube siphon overflow which is a real pain to clean. All thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks a million,

Belthesda_Jim

You know, a 92g corner tank would look really good in your living room. I happen to know where you can get a good deal on one!! :biggrin:

Guest Bethesda_Jim

Wow. I can't believe it is still sitting around. I can haul it away for you at no charge if you'd like.

:clap:

You know, a 92g corner tank would look really good in your living room. I happen to know where you can get a good deal on one!! :biggrin:

Sorry to hijack here, but I am considering upgrading to a 120 RR. What does a stand and tank of this size usually cost? Anyone got a used combo?