Skimmer break in??

What is breaking in a skimmer. I have a remora pro in good condition with the over flow box and a mag three. It's not pulling anything right now? Should i need to tune the thing? I have the collection cup as far down as it will go and there's just nothing comming up. I have a pos turbo floater up stairs that worked with in 5 minutes of me setting it up, and even a prizim skimmer pics up quicker than this... what gives??

well dan doesnt believe in a break in time and i must say my skimmer pulled out more crap when it was new left over from the other skimmer than it does now. i believe it refers to the biofilm that develops on the inside of the skimmer body.

Sure there's not a slug in there?

I'd lower the water level in it and see if anything starts to accumulate.

If it does, slowly raise the water level up into the neck.

I don't think you can do that with a aqua c remora

Give it a day, Jason. I went through the same with mine, and at that time there was only an MJ1200 on it. I had even bought a used one, so I didn't think there would be a "break in". One day later....lots of scunge. Much more now that I have the mag on it, but just give it a day.

Also, a hand in the tank for even 10 seconds will make it stop producing bubbles for a good half hour or so. I know your tank is new, so keep hands out and let it churn.

Tracy

Also, a hand in the tank for even 10 seconds will make it stop producing bubbles for a good half hour or so. I know your tank is new, so keep hands out and let it churn.

Tracy

Can you explain further?

It took a couple weeks before mine started acting right. Now it works great.

Have you added livestock to that tank already? If not, there might not be enough "stuff" in the water for the skimmer to be doing anything.

Can you explain further?

Nothing to explain, really. Hands and arms have oils and stuff on them. Whenever I stick my hand in the tank, it's a good half hour until the skimmer starts bubbling again....unless you wear gloves or something (which I don't, usually)

Tracy

Can you explain further?

I read a good article on this once, most of which I forgot, but it has something to do with bubble bursting. Oils in the water cause the bubbles in the skimmer to pop before they can form a foam.

If it's new, did you rinse the skimmer (hot water and/or vinegar) before putting it into operation? Some of them seem to come with a thin coat of oil on them. Something to do with the manufacturing process maybe.

Is it producing bubbles? If not, look to the pump or the spray inductor as the source of the problem. If it is producing a lot of tiny bubbles that mostly fill the chamber (you may need to use a flashlight to check), then I would just wait it out for a while.

I read a good article on this once, most of which I forgot, but it has something to do with bubble bursting. Oils in the water cause the bubbles in the skimmer to pop before they can form a foam.

If it's new, did you rinse the skimmer (hot water and/or vinegar) before putting it into operation? Some of them seem to come with a thin coat of oil on them. Something to do with the manufacturing process maybe.

Is it producing bubbles? If not, look to the pump or the spray inductor as the source of the problem. If it is producing a lot of tiny bubbles that mostly fill the chamber (you may need to use a flashlight to check), then I would just wait it out for a while.

Where is this 'spray inductor'? I have a remora NANO on my small system - and it just doesn't produce bubbles worth a darn. Something I can clean, adjust, or yell at?

bob

Where is this 'spray inductor'? I have a remora NANO on my small system - and it just doesn't produce bubbles worth a darn. Something I can clean, adjust, or yell at?

bob

Not sure what the nano one looks like, but if it's just a shrunken version.....

When you take the collection cup out, there is a plastic screw on top of the intake pipe. Remove the screw and clean out the hole with a pipe cleaner. When replacing the screw, put it back firmly, but don't over tighten it.

Tracy

What is breaking in a skimmer. I have a remora pro in good condition with the over flow box and a mag three. It's not pulling anything right now? Should i need to tune the thing? I have the collection cup as far down as it will go and there's just nothing comming up. I have a pos turbo floater up stairs that worked with in 5 minutes of me setting it up, and even a prizim skimmer pics up quicker than this... what gives??

Did you add the bottle of protein bubble accelerator to your water?

Plus adding any new equipment to the tank could cause the skimmer not to skim for a period of time (oils and stuff from new powerheads, for instance).

--Mike

the oils change the surface tension in the water which the skimmer relies on the create bubbles

Mine took a while to break in, at first it wasn't doing anything, but now its pulling out some pretty nasty stuff. I have adjusted the screw that was discussed above.

Sorry, it should be "Spray Injector".

You can download the manuals from ASM's website ( http://www.proteinskimmer.com/productsnew.htm).

I don't see one for a Nano, but here's the Remora: http://www.proteinskimmer.com/Remorapro.pdf

Thanks for the info - looks exactly like the nano. I've cleaned where it says to clean. Maybe I need a new pump.

bob

so I turns out my water was just too clean, I added a cup of skimmate from the tank upstairs and the aqua c yanked back out of the water in a night what takes the turbofloater a week to do

Jason,

For even cleaner water...you might want to think about an even larger Aqua-C, such as the AquaC EV-180 Skimmer w/JG fitting + 2.5L Waste Container+ Mag7 pump.

(This is a shameless plug for my items in the F/S section). :drink:

Pretty sure I saw the article. If I remember correctly, it is the plastisizers that need to be eliminated.