Justin's 550 almost-cube

23496_527415869308_209700230_31419108_7076061_n.jpg

Like the Egyptians only dumber. Justin's former sump 6'x4'x 3'(I think) all glass. It was moved into the back of his pick up truck. With 1"x8", a ladder, styrofoam blocks, and pure blood, sweat, tears (or tares).

Edited by jason the filter freak

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

May 1 is approximately this tank's 2nd birthday. Here are some nostalgic baby pictures.

Gluing first corals in place:

IMG_4464.JPG

Planting the purple digi that has tried to take over the top of the left pillar:

IMG_4457.JPG

Right side, note red monti that is considerably larger now. The acan has grown maybe 5 heads in 2 years.

IMG_4509.JPG

Left pillar. Note original piece of red table from Leishman. It is now nearly 18" across and not slowing one bit.

IMG_4517.JPG

FTS taken today:

JMC_4859.JPG

Future plans include attempting to mix in non-photosynthetic corals underneath all the ledges to help give a filled-in look, not like the rockwork is a bunch of slab rock stacked on rods. Once I get my 24/7 live food feeder up and running I'll start this phase, which has always been a long term goal with this tank. I want to replicate the vertical reef walls covered with a mix of azoox, sps, and soft corals.

NICE!!!! Your getting good with the camera bro!

Thanks Chris. I wish it had the high ISO capabilities of the D300 though. That seems to be the key for good high speed, low light aquarium photography.

can you provide more info on that 24/7 live food feeder?

Well, part of it will be a continuous rotifer culture vessel, that blue 55gal drum with the stirrer you saw yesterday. Part 2 I haven't worked out the details on, but I'm thinking a peri pump that draws phyto paste from a large syringe or other refrigerated vessel. Part 3 is a prototype stainless steel "kalk stirrer" that has a compressor built into it that essentially makes it a 2 gallon refrigerated stirring autofeeder. Dan and I put it together about a year or two ago and it works well but I quit using it since I didn't have any corals that needed the food. The plan for that device is to make up a weekly mixture of frozen slurry consisting of cyclopeeze, oyster eggs, etc and feed that in conjunction with the continuously fed live rotifers. The live rots will also go to larval hatchery bins that I plan to plumb into the main system if my dottybacks start breeding.

I also need to work out the nutrient processing issues, as I am growing a nice crop of chunky cyano along with everything else thanks to the hundreds of juvenile clowns that need fed 6x per day. Hence the DIY biopellet thread in the group buy section.

So I still have to work out a few things yet but it's about 75% done in my head and 50% done in reality. Will definitely keep you updated with progress. The overall goal being to keep a mixed SPS & non-photosynthetic capable system, all while growing coral and fish for profit. It is a balancing act :)

Very nice, Justin!

Getting better all the time! The corals are looking great, and the fish look big and fat. Awe inspiring tank.

Cool orange shoulder! Those are definitely one of my favorite tangs.

Thanks everyone!

I got the orange shoulder from Jamesbuf (you still around, James?) about 2 years ago when it was a juvenile, about 3" long and lemon yellow. Now it's 7" and full adult coloration. The neon purple rim along both dorsal and anal fins is subtle but really pretty. When I saw huge ones in Hawaii last year (18") that rim really glows in full sunlight.

That's interesting that yours changed while in your care, how big was it/how long after you got it did it change? Many people report getting juvi orange shoulders and never having them change to adult coloration.

That's interesting that yours changed while in your care, how big was it/how long after you got it did it change? Many people report getting juvi orange shoulders and never having them change to adult coloration.

Not real sure. Probably about a year? I think it was about 5-6" by the time it changed. It can still turn really pale or very dark brown, but not yellow any more. Interesting that some never have them change. I've heard the same with some large angels. Maybe diet or tank size?

One of the big one's that really NEVER change (I've actually never heard of an instance) is blue ribbon eels. They're black as juvi's and then turn to blue. The california academy of sciences has actually had their pair of blue ribbon eels lay eggs several years in a row (none have ever hatched) and they're still black. I think it's probably a combination of diet and tank size. In the wild, orange shoulders will start to turn to adult colors when they're as small as 3 inches, yours was twice that size and it was after it went into a bigger tank. Still, I don't see it being just that, although in the angel cases it's often because they're in smaller tanks and when they're moved into bigger tanks they change. It must be a combination of both, but it seems that tank size plays a large role.

how do you add corals in the bottom without going for a swim? :) very nice tank...

how do you add corals in the bottom without going for a swim? :) very nice tank...

I use snake handling tongs (www.tongs.com) and if I can't do it with those, I go for a swim :)

Haven't been in the water for a long time though, not since late last summer I think.