Outlaw's NEW 92g Corner Build

steveoutlaw

Well, I decided I wanted a 92g corner tank on my terms. So, I bought a new 92g corner tank and drilled it for a closed loop. This tank will be replacing the current 92g corner I have. I'm going to put it on a 36" custom stand and custom build a canopy as well.

Thanks to Johnny and Steve at BRK for helping me flip it around and letting me drill it at the shop.

Anyway, I got 6 holes drilled.......7 counting the one in my foot from the nail in the pallet (don't worry John, I'm not suing you) and there are no cracks in the tank!! I just got it into the house so I'll get some pics tonight or tomorrow and post the tanks progress.

Edited by steveoutlaw

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your gonna make my miss my 92 :(

You can always buy it back from me. I just picked up a uesd oceanic 92gal that is reef ready today, so I'll be using that one instead. You know you want it back! :biggrin:

Steve,

Looking forward to seeing your project come along. Can't wait to get my stand and canopy. :biggrin:

If it isn't zoa's it's nails that are out to get you.... ;)

Looking forward to seeing your build...

--Mike

:lol:

Cant wait to see this up and running, I saw one up and close today at PetCo in rockville, I don't know how you're supposed to reach the back but the tank looks freaking awesome!

so does it count if people shove their tanks into a corner?

(edited)

Guess that means that the pool is won by anyone who voted for Outlaw or Mohsin to upgrade...

Not to throw a wrench in here Dave, but if I'm getting the same tank as I already have.......is it really an upgrade? :biggrin:

We need to start a exclusive "corner club" :biggrin:

Looking forward to pics.

Excellent idea........we'll make it exclusive so nobody with those funny looking rectangular tanks can be in it!! :lol2:

Edited by steveoutlaw

You guys should petition to have a thread dedicated to you guys. It could be something like: "Corner tanks, for those who want the best of both walls..."

:biggrin:

It will never float... has too many holes in it.

Okay - so don't most people just run 1-2 holes in, 1-2 holes out, and divide up their closed loop? Or even throw it over the back and down into the tank? Why did you need half a dozen holes? You know you're dying to tell us.

bob

It will never float... has too many holes in it.

Okay - so don't most people just run 1-2 holes in, 1-2 holes out, and divide up their closed loop? Or even throw it over the back and down into the tank? Why did you need half a dozen holes? You know you're dying to tell us.

bob

You're killin me Bob! :clap:

The bulkhead 1/2 way up the glass in the back is goign to be the intake for the closed loop and the other 4 are going to be the returns. I'll be running the returns through an Oceans Motions 4 way.

why cant people put these things together faster so we don't have to wait for updates?

You have so much fun building your stands don't you.. drilling that tank must have been a pain?

I'm not having any fun with this stand.........cutting curves in wood is a real pain is the a$$!!

Drilling the tank actually wasn't that bad. It just took a LOT of patience!! :biggrin:

What method did you use to drill the tank. I'm getting ready to do this soon... Thanks!

I'm not having any fun with this stand.........cutting curves in wood is a real pain is the a$$!!

Drilling the tank actually wasn't that bad. It just took a LOT of patience!! :biggrin:

Not to throw a wrench in here Dave, but if I'm getting the same tank as I already have.......is it really an upgrade? :biggrin:

Yes it is, yes it is :gho: It's not the same tank and YOU custom drilled it :bb: Sooo that being said, when are you setting another one? In two or three weeks? :wink:

How are you cutting the curves? Using 2x12's? I might suggest laminating some plywood, instead.

bob

What method did you use to drill the tank. I'm getting ready to do this soon... Thanks!

I used a diamond bit from BRK, a hose, and a lot of patience. 5 holes and no cracks.......YAY! :gho:

Yes it is, yes it is :gho: It's not the same tank and YOU custom drilled it :bb: Sooo that being said, when are you setting another one? In two or three weeks? :wink:

JM - but this isn't an UPGRADE......it's just a newer........awww crap, ok it's an upgrade. I'm going to need at least 6 months or a new house before I can upgrade again........at least if I want to stay married!!!

How are you cutting the curves? Using 2x12's? I might suggest laminating some plywood, instead.

bob

Actually, I tried a skill saw to no avail. However, I have a router with a good cutting bit that I'm going to try to use. I'm going to fashion some sheet metal into a guide like dandy did here:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8972&hl=

However, until that happens I'm always open for suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, back in town and got to do a little more work. Here is the stand in it's place:

StandCanopybuild001.jpg

And a few pics of putting the canopy door together:

The wood:

StandCanopybuild002.jpg

The curved pieces:

StandCanopybuild003.jpg

The door of the canopy:

StandCanopybuild004.jpg

More to come.