Weap0n X's new 180G Reef Project

I just upgraded my tank to a 180g(72x24x24) Reef Ready tank made by All Glass. Previously I had a 120g Mixed reef which I broke down a couple of weeks ago.

I decided to go ahead and get a custom stand and canopy built for this tank. I didn't like the height of the stand on the 120g, so with the new stand it will stand about 40" high.

Equipment is as follows.

Circulation:

2x Tunze Stream 6100 w/ 7095 Multicontroller

Sequence ReefFlo Dart Water Pump (down the road)

Mag 24 Return Pump

Lighting:

72" PFO Professional Series Metal Halide ~ 3x250w w/ 4PC

T5 actinics (down the road)

Filteration:

Grey Seas Aquatics Standard Eight Skimmer

Grey Seas Aquatics M-15 Calcium Reactor

Grey Seas Aquatics Kalk Stirrer

Deltec FR509 Fluidized Reactor

Aqua 40w UV Sterilzer

Other

Aquacontroller PRO

Reef Fanatic pH Monitor

36"x16"x16" Custom Acrylic Sump

Heres a future fish list:

Desjardini Sailfin Tang

Red Sea Purple Tang

Yellow Belly Hippo Tang

Blonde Naso Tang ~Maybe

Lyretail Anthias (4 Females, 1 Male)

African Midas Blenny

Purple Firefish x2

Black and White Percula Clownfish pair

Radiant Wrasse

Blue Star Leopard Wrasse

Mystery Wrasse (maybe)

Psychedelic Mandarinfish

Green Mandarinfish

I am going to use about 250lbs of Fiji Liverock. As for the aquascape, I want to create an open look at the same time I want to have many places to put corals.

I will post a couple of pictures of my setup tomorrow.

Mohsin

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love my 180. things i would do if i was starting it up now: get dan's largest fluidized reactor. also if you are going to get a fixture get 400 watt mh's assuming you like a bluer look rather than a whiter one. i love seeing tank threads. welcome to the big man's club :biggrin:

I'm starting the pool... 6 months before Mohsin gets hit by Bigger Tank Syndrome again! :biggrin:

Mohsin, sounds like a great project, enjoy!

ya, you will be selling your 300 because you fail to get it installed and running in the next 6 months. I think Mohsin will have his 180 up before you get the 300 up :lol:

ya, you will be selling your 300 because you fail to get it installed and running in the next 6 months. I think Mohsin will have his 180 up before you get the 300 up :lol:

That's what you think! It'll be up and running in no time (well, at least less than 6 months!)...

I actually have the plumbing in hand now, only have to retool the stand and I'm ready to rock!

That's what you think! It'll be up and running in no time (well, at least less than 6 months!)...

I actually have the plumbing in hand now, only have to retool the stand and I'm ready to rock!

So the day after neversterday?

• 3 months later...

I hope to have alot of updates very soon.

now that you've got that awesome stand

Water! We wanna see water! And sand, and rocks, and coral...

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I hope to add water Tomorrow-Friday, Sand is going in on Friday, rocks are going to be in the tank in two weeks, and probably putting corals in my tank in 3-4 months.

what are your plans for a sump/refugium?

I don't plan on using a refugium, as for the sump, I am going to use a 36"x16"x16" acrylic sump.

(edited)

I'm a little behind schedule, but I should be caught up by tomorrow.

This is my first time actually hard plumbing a tank, and would like to thank John at BRK for helping me choose the supplies and design concept.

Heres what I have done now, but I should finish up the return lines by tonight.

Plumbing supplies...

Picture012.jpg

What I have done so far..

Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Thanks,

Mohsin

Edited by Weap0n_X

I know you're glad you asked for the extra tall stand!

Looks good so far! I'd have a little bit of a drop to latteral line going to right side of the tank, maybe 1/4", and make sure that the other one is level or slightly downhill. It may be the camera angle but it looks like the long run is level and the short one is going uphill.

I know you're glad you asked for the extra tall stand!

Looks good so far! I'd have a little bit of a drop to latteral line going to right side of the tank, maybe 1/4", and make sure that the other one is level or slightly downhill. It may be the camera angle but it looks like the long run is level and the short one is going uphill.

Yeah, haha. I love the height of the stand.

The long pvc is level, and your right about the short one. I will go ahead and fix the smaller one tomorrow morning. I ran into a slight problem, one of the nuts on the bulkhead is too hard to screw in, so I will need to get that replaced. I will also add 2 ball valves on each drain line(forgot to add that in the beginning).

More updates tomorrow.

Why do you want ball valves on the drain lines? :why:

Now that I looked at the pictures again, I would add a union to the drain on the left and have it ~6"-8" below the bulkhead and move the other union to the same location on the other side. In fact, I'd use lots of unions so various sections of the plumbing can be disassembled for cleaning, repairing leaky joints or for making modifications down the road. It costs extra to do it that way but you'll be glad you did.

Are you planning on adding a section of open pipe to the top of the T's over the sump?

Thanks to Dan for coming by and installing the Grey Seas Skimmer and Calcium Reactor. It was nice meeting you Bob, and Bob the builder, your welcome anytime :biggrin: .

Heres some updated pictures..

PICT2989.jpg

PICT2993.jpg

PICT2994.jpg

The tank should be filled with water by Tuesday night.

Mohsin

Are you sure that plumbing is right? It looks too simple... Ok in all seriousness have you leak tested yet. Thats my biggest issue in most cases. The set up looks real nice!.

Are you sure that plumbing is right? It looks too simple... Ok in all seriousness have you leak tested yet. Thats my biggest issue in most cases. The set up looks real nice!.

Thanks. I think it's right :biggrin:. I have not leak tested the plumbing yet, I hope to do it tomorrow.

Here's a recent picture of my tank with the doors open. The color of the stand didn't come out well, it's actually a lot more darker.

PICT3001.jpg

I plan on getting everything setup during my winter break. So more updates to come in a week.

Looks nice, I bet you're dying to put water in it. Is there an electrical conduit behind the tank stand, or will you be running things from the right of the stand

Looks nice, I bet you're dying to put water in it. Is there an electrical conduit behind the tank stand, or will you be running things from the right of the stand

I'm not really sure what an electrical conduit is, but the wires will be all going through the back of the stand, and I have two surge protectors that are going to be plugged into two 20amp outlets.