Lost

dandy7200

PLEASE DO NOT MOVE THIS THREAD! If you do I wont be able to see it unless I am on this particular computer!

The password recovery system is flawed. I can only log on to WAMAS from one of the 6 computers I use (and it is not the convenient one). My password did not change, I just logged out of all the computers last week when I went on vacation. When I try to log back in with the same password the system is telling me that it is wrong.

So I send a e-mail to the automated password recovery system and follow the steps required to change my password. Driver error occurs. Why can't the system just send me my current password rather than make me choose a new one? A security question could be answered instead of making me choose a new password that the system wont accept.

Anyone trying to contact me via PM please use my e-mail for faster reply: dan@greyseasaquatics.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remove cookies and try again?

permissions seem fine as far as I can tell. call me on my cell if you need anything within the next 40 min or so

So I send a e-mail to the automated password recovery system and follow the steps required to change my password. Driver error occurs. Why can't the system just send me my current password rather than make me choose a new one? A security question could be answered instead of making me choose a new password that the system wont accept.

Sort of not-in-the-context-of-your-specific-problem... but the answer to this question is typically security related. Storing passwords in the clear is BAD. Storing passwords using reversible encryption means that there is a key somewhere that is used to decrypt it. Where is that key stored? Who has access to it? The key management aspect here typically is done poorly and thus reversible encryption is also typically BAD. That leaves one-way encryption (password hashes) where given a particular "salt" (think... starting entropy), a unique (across all inputs), but repeatable, hash is created.

The consequence of password hashes is that "the system" cannot tell you what your password is, but can allow you reset functionality if you know your current password.

Thanks emissary, I actually don't understand anything you said though ...... :biggrin: Here is the error message:

mySQL query error: UPDATE ibf_members_converge SET converge_pass_hash='8ee630d60731bbc50a67db32dc8ff034' WHERE converge_id=

SQL error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

SQL error code:

Date: Wednesday 08th of August 2007 12:31:32 AM

Doug, is it too late to call? :cheers:

I just noticed I am member #2,631,255. Wow this club keeps growing and growing!

And I thought I had too much time on my hands... taking a break from finalizing the set up in the basement and saw "hax0r" and read the signature. Dan, you are a texting machine...

This error has occured a number fo times...

I have a way of fixing it, but it involves direct database manipulation (which is why I have not shared with anyone)... a novice could very easily screw things up.

If you are haveing this problem please contact me.

Dave

I just noticed I am member #2,631,255. Wow this club keeps growing and growing!

We must have a lot of lurkers here 'cause at least 2.x million of those members have never made a single post! ;)

57iLl D035 n07 533m 70 B3 W0RkInG 7hu5 My aLiAs

mySQL query error: UPDATE ibf_members_converge SET converge_pass_hash='2a8da723eb5d4be4bd5b8b938b1d6bc1' WHERE converge_id=

SQL error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

SQL error code:

Date: Wednesday 08th of August 2007 11:05:48 PM

Notice the time in my post does not match the time of SQL error code? I just did this so there is an hour difference somewhere.

57iLl D035 n07 533m 70 B3 W0RkInG 7hu5 My aLiAs

Notice the time in my post does not match the time of SQL error code? I just did this so there is an hour difference somewhere.

This is a prank right?

This is a prank right?

i wI5H. i C@Nn07 l0g 0n70 My @cC0Un7 fR0M H0M3 50 h@d 70 cR3@73 @ nEw u53r n@m3 70 C0MmUnIc@73 Wi7h 7H3 PeOpLe wh0 C@N fIx 7hI5 PrObLeM.

B7W, dId U g37 my 3-m@iL Wi7h PuMp PrIcInG?

Please contact me directly so I am sure you want this done... My phone # is available via PM or emailing the officers of the club.

Dave

Why it's not lost.

<image deleted>

The beer's right there in the beer holder

dirty dirty old man... please show me your ways!! :clap:

dirty dirty old man... please show me your ways!! :clap:

Chip I cant believe you get away with these things...

Please contact me directly so I am sure you want this done... My phone # is available via PM or emailing the officers of the club.

Dave

I sent e-mail to officers@wamas.org two days ago about this. I have your # stored in my PM box that I can't get to right now ;) . Check my IP addy, it's me Dave and I do want this done.

i wI5H. i C@Nn07 l0g 0n70 My @cC0Un7 fR0M H0M3 50 h@d 70 cR3@73 @ nEw u53r n@m3 70 C0MmUnIc@73 Wi7h 7H3 PeOpLe wh0 C@N fIx 7hI5 PrObLeM.

B7W, dId U g37 my 3-m@iL Wi7h PuMp PrIcInG?

Y35 1 607 y0ur 3m41| D4n, 1'm 601n6 70 533 1f 1 c4n 1nv0|v3 CM45 4nd W4M45 wh3n 1 637 7h3 ch4nc3 1n 7h3 fu7ur3 70 pu7 17 70637h3r

Must be using

http://www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/

1 51nc3r3|y h0p3 y0u'r3 n07 74k1n6 7h3 71m3 70 7yp3 7h47 4|| 0u7...

0|2 `/0|_| (0|_||[) |_|$3 |_||+|2@ |33+ @|\|[) |23@||`/ |=|23@|< |*30|*|3 0|_|+.

Edited by jason the filter freak