My First Tank

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't believe a word of it! You CAN stand up for yourself. You CAN wear the pants in the family. You CAN be 'The Man'!! Ask my EX-wife, if you don't believe me....

SINGLEbob

• 2 weeks later...

So......I need help!....

......with my sump.

I believe I have everything I need for it, except I need help cutting the acrylic for the baffles and then gluing (why does that look like it's spelled wrong?) them into place. Both are proving to be more difficult than they seemed at first, and I would really rather not mess things up so I'm looking for someone to help. I'm willing to make a drive to someone who can help, however I can't drive too far so I'd prefer if it was somewhat local.

Or if anyone knows of somewhere I can go? That would be great too :)

Thaaanks :biggrin:

Is there anyone in hoco or moco that can come over and inspect my plumbing job in person on this tank? We'll compensate you if you want, just let us know what you want

More plumbing pics, and there'll be more tomorrow after a bit more umm..editing? :P

n1224510271_30070291_8155.jpg

n1224510271_30070292_8418.jpg

n1224510271_30070293_8668.jpg

n1224510271_30070294_8919.jpg

n1224510271_30070295_9170.jpg

n1224510271_30070296_9420.jpg

Like I said, more tomorrow night after some more work on it!

:fish:

As soon as the headache from gluing subsides, there's probably another hour on gluing for the closed loop needed and then theres a new part needed for the return pump

yay! pvc primer and glue!!!!

best stuff ever......

but not for use with out a window near by. :)

yea, no kidding. we had the worst headaches, not even kidding.

but hey, it's doing what it's supposed to :)

Garrett--

No, we didn't get a chance to do it tonight--we're going to fire it up tomorrow, though.

Anyway, thank you soooo so so much for spending all that time helping us out with that today--and still managing to claim all your raffle prizes! If there's anything Jason and/or I could do for you to pay you back for helping us, just let us know, ok?

THANK YOU!! :biggrin:

Garrett--

No, we didn't get a chance to do it tonight--we're going to fire it up tomorrow, though.

Anyway, thank you soooo so so much for spending all that time helping us out with that today--and still managing to claim all your raffle prizes! If there's anything Jason and/or I could do for you to pay you back for helping us, just let us know, ok?

THANK YOU!! :biggrin:

Don't thank me unless it works.

Garrett.

n1224510271_30070296_9420.jpg

With that many outlets and the size of the feed tubing up to the robosqwd, what will the flow be out of all the outlets? Also, from the pic above it looks like you branch off a line before the sqwd robbing more flow.

Did you run the numbers through ReefCentral head flow calculator to determing the flow from you pump?

A lot of work if it does not do what you want and it is better to determine that now than after you fill the tank.

I would change any of the vinyl tubing to be black tubing. You will get algae growth on the inside of those clear tubes in a short time. The black will block the light and no growth.

yeah make sure all your tubs are black, they will get nasty QUICKLY! I had clear tubes on my overflow box and I had to cover them because they got clogged so fast.

yeah make sure all your tubs are black, they will get nasty QUICKLY! I had clear tubes on my overflow box and I had to cover them because they got clogged so fast.

you know...i hadnt thought about that....apparently jason didn't either, we'll have to fix that while we're waiting for the piece to my iwaki pump that broke off to get here

Edited by mexicanjavafish

you know...i hadnt thought about that....apparently jason didn't either, we'll have to fix that while we're waiting for the piece to my iwaki pump that broke off to get here

I did I get no credit here... those sections are getting covered with pipe insulation, blocks out light and further dampens noise, but can be removed later

I would actually replace it with either braided or spa-flex. I'm thinking that the pump is pressure rated and so will have a heck of a draw and that tubing will succumb to pinching and decrease your flow significantly. Wait... it's on the return... never mind. Although it will bend and collapse so you may want to use a hose clamp on it to keep it from flying off as the pressure builds.

If you use flex pvc / spa-flex you will avoid the restrictions from the hose barbs and get a little more flow out of your pump, . . . but that's a project that can wait for another day. Throw a hose clamp on there and get some water in that glass box already! :cheers:

spa flex creates more vibration noise than does vinyl,

oh btw the way literally just tested the ballast wiring job by garret, and first try sucker lights up... i forgot how bright t5's were, now i'm seeing spots, it's pushing god knows what though 4 x 39 watt t5's and owww