HECK with the fish, MORE MERMAID!!

:lol2:

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HECK with the fish, MORE MERMAID!!

:lol2:

Couldn't agree more Howard. I'd be careful though, Jason might be one of those jealous types. He might try and strangle you with his hippie hair at the next meeting.

Looks like the tank is coming along nicely and about to get some water. Who's the hard working guy in the pictures? Looks like he deserves some credit too!

You tryin to see if she has a boyfriend? :rollface:

Couldn't agree more Howard. I'd be careful though, Jason might be one of those jealous types. He might try and strangle you with his hippie hair at the next meeting.

:lol:

....this is hilarious...

I wonder.....is it possible to change my BB name? Apparently everyone's convinced I'm a mermaid....... :lol: x100

....this is hilarious...

I wonder.....is it possible to change my BB name? Apparently everyone's convinced I'm a mermaid....... :lol: x100

I think there is something like an 'honorary title' that you can modify; but I've never tried it, and maybe you have to have 10,000 posts before you get to use one or something.

bob

maybe you have to have 10,000 posts before you get to use one or something.

hmm maybe i should bring this up with jason then...........haha

hmm maybe i should bring this up with jason then...........haha

Even as a newbie she knows how much he spams. That is too freaking funny :biggrin:

(edited)

Ok, screw proper cycling, I've added my first fish already!! :

n1224510271_30053948_253.jpg

deeeeefinitely kidding. haha :lol: .

(ok enough kidding around on my part--my next update will be a serious one, not a joke...haha)

Edited by mexicanjavafish

Even as a newbie she knows how much he spams. That is too freaking funny :biggrin:

Take note, however... he hasn't been spamming much this last week. He seems to have found something else that's holding his interest right now.

bob

You've got to be kidding :blush:

Jason, didn't you get those fish from the petco store you work at? :lol:

Mexicanjava - looks like you got a good start to your project.

:bb:

(edited)

Could anyone here shed some light on this, personal or other wise or have a link to some articles?:

We're trying to decide on a closed loop vs power heads on a 75 gallon tank. Heat is a very big concern, considering it gets pretty close to a sauna in here during the day...

I did some searching around online and found that a single external pump in the range of about 1200 gph usually draws 130-ish watts for an economically priced pump, where the same flow could be accomplished with power heads drawing roughly 80-ish watts....so I guess what I want to know is which one will add less heat to the water?

Help would be verrrry much appreciated :)

Edited by mexicanjavafish

Aesthetics aside, for noise and electrical consumption the prop-driven powerheads give you the most bang for the buck. The Tunze Nano 6045, for example, will give you almost 1200 gph at only 7 watts and you can't even tell it's on. I think the Koralia 4 (also about 1200) draws a little more but still less than 15 watts. I have a blueline / panworld 1200 gph pump on a closed loop in addition to 1 Koralia 4 and 2 MJ900 mods. I can't say for sure because I've never tested it, but I believe the panworld adds more heat to the water. Even with the mod invented by Dandy (stock fan removed and replaced with heat sink and computer fan) it is still fairly warm to the touch.

There are a lot of reasons to like a closed loop, though. Another option would be to scale down the size of the closed loop pump and supplement it with 1 or more of the small prop-driven powerheads.

Edited by Rascal

Could anyone here shed some light on this, personal or other wise or have a link to some articles?:

We're trying to decide on a closed loop vs power heads on a 75 gallon tank. Heat is a very big concern, considering it gets pretty close to a sauna in here during the day...

I did some searching around online and found that a single external pump in the range of about 1200 gph usually draws 130-ish watts for an economically priced pump, where the same flow could be accomplished with power heads drawing roughly 80-ish watts....so I guess what I want to know is which one will add less heat to the water?

Help would be verrrry much appreciated :)

If it 'gets 'like a sauna in here' - then I don't know there's much difference. With the external pump you would be adding to the sauna effect, and with the internal pump you would be adding the heat directly to the water. Why does it get like a sauna? Sunroom? No air conditioning? If your ambient temperature spends the whole day above about 80 degrees - you're going to have a heck of a time keeping your water temperature in range. I think I'd spend a few watts trying to cool the room.

bob

As a general rule of thumb, anything that is submersible or lacks a fan of any sort is water cooled and will dissipate heat through the contact with your water. Anything that is external that has a fan (you generally need to have a fan for this to hold true) typically will try and dissipate heat through the air. Anything that runs on electricity will generate some heat, but the lower the wattage, typically the lower the heat that is created when the electrical energy is being used up and converted to heat energy.

Take a powerhead, for example, if it's in the water, the only place for the heat that is created through the conversion of the electrical energy to heat energy is into the water. Add to this the amount of heat created through friction of the spinning impeller (even though it's not supposed to touch the edges of the impeller housing, it still will generate some heat around the impeller shaft itself), and you have more heat transfer to your water. The cheaper pumps will create more heat as they are far less efficient and so a lot of the electrical energy ends up as heat energy (ask Jason about when he did his pico project and the powerhead overheated his tank). Even when a submersible is not used in the water, such as a mag drive pump, it still transfers a lot of the heat energy to the water. When you run a mag drive externally, you can feel the heat coming from the housing but a lot of that heat is generated inside the pump where it comes into water so it will still heat up the water itself through contact.

External pumps that have fans are a different beast, although the less efficient pumps may still transfer heat to the water. The impeller housing in these pumps is separate from where the impeller makes contact with the water so in a perfect world there would be only the tiny amount of heat generated there that is from the impeller shaft spinning. These pumps use the fan to draw heat away from the water and the magnets and so will generate a lot less heat in theory. That's not always the case, though, if the design is not right or if the pump is not as efficient.

In general, when looking at these different types of water movement, the more expensive models will be more efficient with less electrical draw. You can't generate as much heat with a 7 watt pump as you can with a 500 watt pump, but you generally also cannot move as much water, either. That's why eductors and impeller modifications are so popular, they generate a lot more water movement without creating a lot more heat energy and electrical draw.

Oh, and I agree with Bob, the tank is not going to be any cooler than the air around it unless you add some sort of chiller. If the room is hot, it's only going to get hotter and the water is going to match the temperature of the air. You'll turn your sauna into a steam sauna in no time unless you can bring the ambient temperature down. External pumps will only add to the heat in the room and so will a chiller as they vent their heat to the air around them.

Oh, and if this sounds a bit confusing, think of a car. A car is cooled by two things, contact with the air and coolant. The radiator pulls heat away from the car's engine as does the coolant. If you drive your car and then stop at a light, the temperature of the engine will increase because the radiator (serves as a heat sink) is no longer being exposed to large volumes of air. If you lose coolant, your car will quickly overheat because the liquid used to draw the heat away from the engine is gone. The radiator is like an external fan cooled pump and the coolant is like a submersible pump.

Guest Bemmer

Hi,

I got a posting from Jason that you might be looking for some used fish stuff. I am breaking down my large 450+g tank. Most of the equipment is sold but I do have a lot of misc. stuff that I would be able to sell you. Please take a look at my post to see if you would be interested in coming to my open house this weekend.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...view=getnewpost

Rebecca

Pic Update!:

n1224510271_30054691_7722.jpg

(i scared him with my camera :biggrin: )

n1224510271_30054689_7011.jpg

n1224510271_30054685_5553.jpg

n1224510271_30054690_7366.jpg

n1224510271_30054688_6664.jpg

n1224510271_30054686_5987.jpg

n1224510271_30054687_6324.jpg

Sooo I think this little device should make things a lot easier than just two little electrical sockets in the wall.... :)