My First Tank

Alright sooo, as long as nothing goes horribly wrong (knock on wood), I SHOULD have my tank filled with salt water, all/most of my rock, two clownfish, aaand i believe the damsel (if it's still there.....it's hard to tell from a tub), all from Jason by FRIDAY.

So I think now would be a pretty ok time to bring up the other fish (etc...) I want to eventually have in my tank. I figure if i start naming now, someone out there will let me know if there's something I absolutely CANNOT have. SO, that being said, here goes:

-Everyone knows or should know at this point that the one fish I really REALLY want is a hippo tang. I know there was a lot of controversy when I brought this up before but after talking to several (as in I lost count how many) people about having one in a 75g tank, I've figured out that if I get one, I will eventually have to sell it. Which is fine with me, I want to get it while it's tiny (they're so cute :biggrin: ) and it will take quite a while for it to 'outgrow' my tank. I think I am definitely getting this fish.

-If I do, however, get talked out of getting a hippo tang, I would like to get maybe a yellow tang instead.

-The only other fish I know I want so far is a flame angel. I haven't talked to very many people about this one, and I don't know too much about them, but it would be a while before I got one so I will do my research, but are there any huge objections to me getting one, or advice for when/if I do?

-I'd like a blenny of some sort, possibly a midas...or a lawnmower....they're so funny :) (once again, however I do not know much about them....)

-Doesn't count: I REALLY want a heniochus butterfly....actually 2 or 3....but everyone has already killed my dream of that ever happening in a 75....so those will wait until I have a bigger tank....one day.....haha

-A pair of firefish gobies has also always been on my list of wants..

-I'd really like a longnose hawkfish too...I saw one at petco, felt sorry for it, and wanted it...

-I'm also considering a wrasse of some sort....perhaps a 4, 6, or 8 line? Or a pair of cleaners?

-OH! I almost forgot....when I first started to consider the things I wanted to put in my tank, a clam was not one of them, but the more I see them everywhere, the more I want either a blue or green maxima clam....is that completely out of bounds for me or could I do that eventually?

So far this is the list I've put together. I think it's enough of a wish-list for now. So any objections, advice, or suggestions for other fish/random tank inhabitants would be greatly appreciated!

thaaaaanks :biggrin:

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only big objection I would have is to the pair of cleaner wrasses. From what I have read they are obligate cleaners - meaning it is hard to get them to eat anything else - and therefore it would be difficult to get them enough to eat in anything but a huge, heavily stocked tank. Then again, I believed what I read and never tried one myself, so I can't speak from experience.

I do have a few of the other fish you are considering though.

A small hippo will be fine for a couple / few years, but you will not want to get rid of it then after getting so attached to it. From how long it has taken to get this tank going, you'd better start working on the inevitable upgrade now. :biggrin: A yellow would be a better long term choice for a 75, but I understand.

The only knock on flame angels are that some of them are polyp and clam nippers. Mine stays away from my clam and most of my sps, but seems to have a taste for pocilopora. Thanks to dbartco I have 2 pretty good sized pink poci's in my tank. The flame takes a nip of them fairly often, but it has enough else to eat that they aren't really sufferring to much for it. If I had gotten the fish when they were just small frags though, it would probably have been a different story.

I love bi-color blennies, but I have had 2 that had a taste for sps, and could do a lot of damage.

I love six lines and probably would not have a tank without them. Hardy, pretty, interesting, reef safe. Great fish.

Longnose hawkfish are reported to eat ornamental shrimp. Especially if you are going to get a tang, I would recommend you get at least 2 (maybe 3) cleaner shrimp and skip the hawkfish.

I would also recommend a couple/few neon gobies. IME they are great biological cleaners and very hardy. Tangs love 'em.

One last thing -- I have had more success with a crocea clam than several attempts at maximas, but that could just be me.

IMHO:

hippo tang YES

flame angel YES, but probably will nip your SPS/LPS and possibly clam. LAST FISH to go in!

blenny midas or lawnmower YES

heniochus butterfly....actually 2 or 3 Get the B/H Heniochus Diphreutes, NOT ACUMINTAS, Great fish!

A pair of firefish gobies, cool when in pairs, but introduce early on and at the same time!

longnose hawkfish, I LOVE Hawkfish, but I love my Shrimp more! Tough to have both with these?

Sixline wrasse, Introduce before Flame and after your tank ages for 6 months plus!

pair of cleaners, Blue or Gold Neon Striped Gobies, always get mine at BRK!

blue or green maxima clam, I would recommned 6 months to a year before adding this one! Need to get your water right first and new tanks are going through too many changes!

Congrats on the setup!!

:cheers:

bump

i'm currently posting from a hotel in florida, i will be spending most of spring break here on a cruise starting tomorrow, but i'll be back thursday night so the remaining work to be done on my tank will be completed sometime on friday....too far away! but the trip wasn't my choice sooo what can i do about it? not much. but anywayyy,

thanks for the opinions & advice you two! very much appreciated :)

anyone else care to share theirs?

:fish:

Aquascaping officially has begun today! Will be adding fish tomorrow

Not going to wait for any potential cycle to occur? You'd think that after 4 years of waiting for this thing to have water you'd want to at least take the time to let any cycle occur before adding fish... ;)

Not going to wait for any potential cycle to occur? You'd think that after 4 years of waiting for this thing to have water you'd want to at least take the time to let any cycle occur before adding fish... ;)

We're starting with 80lbs of established rock out of my old 55 gal system that has been kept on life support (power heads, skimmer, water changes) ever since the 55 was taken down. Just the sand bed will need to establish.

So, thread-followers, guess what?

I have a running tank in my room :biggrin: .

Water

Rock

Fish

the works :biggrin: :biggrin:

So here are pics from the final day of setup here for your viewing pleasure--

Enjoy:

n1224510271_30092005_6120.jpg

n1224510271_30092016_570.jpg

n1224510271_30092018_481.jpg

n1224510271_30092019_3873.jpg

n1224510271_30092020_148.jpg

n1224510271_30092021_2745.jpg

n1224510271_30092023_7019.jpg

n1224510271_30092024_9105.jpg

n1224510271_30092022_3528.jpg

n1224510271_30092006_7193.jpg

n1224510271_30092007_6104.jpg

n1224510271_30092008_6268.jpg

n1224510271_30092012_6793.jpg

n1224510271_30092010_18.jpg

n1224510271_30092011_8774.jpg

n1224510271_30092015_8651.jpg

n1224510271_30092013_9608.jpg

n1224510271_30092009_7663.jpg

n1224510271_30092017_2801.jpg

n1224510271_30092014_1728.jpg

I'm still working on the lights, but other than that, the long wait is finally over and Jason and I have ourselves a running tank!

:biggrin: :biggrin:

We owe a huge thank you to anyone who has helped us in this long process, and to anyone who has followed along with this thread for so long--thank you!!

Congrats to all of you who have put this system together. A lot of thought & patience has gone into this project. I only wish I had that kind of patience. Wishing you all a lot of fun and rewardable years to come.

:cheers:

Edited by Highland Reefer

Is that a leak I see in the right corner of...

Just kidding! Good to see that this tank finally has some water in it. Now let's let it stabilize a bit and get some WAMAS frags in that tank!

A couple of comments about things I see in the photos.

First, I would secure that DJ switch panel better. I looks like it is hanging off the edge of the sump. Mount it to the back of the stand or wall and make sure their are drip loops on the cords. Next is the modified power head to the right of the overflow section under the rock and the supporting structure. How you going to service/clean that pump? You will have to at some point. Can you get at it easily? Maybe now, but after corals grow out it may be possible without causing a lot of heartache.

Just trying to help.

A couple of comments about things I see in the photos.

First, I would secure that DJ switch panel better. I looks like it is hanging off the edge of the sump. Mount it to the back of the stand or wall and make sure their are drip loops on the cords. Next is the modified power head to the right of the overflow section under the rock and the supporting structure. How you going to service/clean that pump? You will have to at some point. Can you get at it easily? Maybe now, but after corals grow out it may be possible without causing a lot of heartache.

Just trying to help.

The DJ switch Panel is mounted on the oppsite side from the sump, above the retun pump. The retun pump can still be accessed and it's held in place with 3 screws.

Drip loop is another story I have to find out where I can get short lengs of extension cords (3 feet or so any one know where these can be found) the cors to the power heads just aren't long enough.

The power head is an MJ mod. It is a difficult but accessable place if one or two rocks are lifted. Thats the beauty of MJ mods since they're not very closed in they don't jame up easily.

congrats on the setup. It looks great. It will really look nice when you get some coral and stuff in there and growing out.

On that hidden MJ, it should be cleaned more often than when it jams up. I clean all my pumps at least 1 time a month. A little bit of build up can drastically alter the flow without you even knowing it.

Sandy

So far everything is running pretty smoothly, except the temperature of my tank is going to be a concern in warmer weather....which of course we all already knew. But I'll worry about that when it comes up.

The skimmer is fixed, it's all pretty quiet--I sleep 2 1/2ft away from it.

The fish are all doing well, except for one of my two damsels. He was fine when I put everyone in there, but recently and pretty suddenly, he started picking on everything that moved. One of my fish has a bitten-up tail fin! It's not a terrible wound and I'm sure it will heal-I've seen a fin worse than that heal up-but I can't catch the bully to get him out of there!!

Suggestions on capturing him, anyone? Or is that something no one else can really help with? And once I catch him, I don't have another little tank set up anywhere, so could I put him in my sump until he learns how to behave?

--the mermaid with severe insomnia

I used a grouper to catch my damsels. Worked quite well.

Damsels are kinda like people, they get even more crotchety with old age. i.e. he ain't going to get any nicer, he ain't going to calm down.

G.

Jason,

I still like the grouper idea. Maybe you could bring your lion over to play for a spell. That would probably do the trick.

G.

Danny and The Juniors Keeping me up with Rock and Roll Is Here To Stay, Chubby Checker with Let's Twist Again... who's old enough?

Helping me finish the IC 660 2 VHO's + 2 T5's combo weeee! OK just two bulbs left to go!

The credit for this goes to Gastone for showing me how to do it and Ctenophore for letting me "practice" lol on his setup. THANKS GUYS!

SO the tank officially has lights now.

well almost officially....

....the lights are still at jason's house while the tank is....at mine.... :rollface:

Anyway here are some of the pics from our most recent project :) :

n1224510271_30093647_601.jpg

n1224510271_30093648_905.jpg

n1224510271_30093649_1170.jpg

n1224510271_30093650_1725.jpg

n1224510271_30093651_2266.jpg

PS) i know it looks like we're attaching the lights to the top but i promise we're not.....haha, we just laid everything out up on the top so that we could make sure everything fit and was measured out correctly... :biggrin:

n1224510271_30093653_2807.jpg

n1224510271_30093654_3082.jpg

Aaaaand the lights are on!

Just a few more adjustments and making things look neater and then to get it to my house and we're done!

:biggrin: :biggrin:

(edited)

So the lights made it to my house finally and are up and running! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Pics!:

(they're a little blurry, but, considering i took these pictures with my phone, i think they look pretty good..........i'm camera-less, can you tell?)

n1224510271_30093767_5879.jpg

full tank shot

n1224510271_30093768_6216.jpg

firefish!!!! i love them :biggrin:

n1224510271_30093769_6553.jpg

clownfish and mean damsel #1

n1224510271_30093770_6882.jpg

they stick together

n1224510271_30093771_7219.jpg

[says the clownfish: ooh wha's dat?? camera??] clownfish again and mean(est) damsel #2

n1224510271_30093772_986.jpg

(the view from my bed--it's a wonderful view :) :) )

I could never could have pulled this is off if it weren't for everyone here on wamas, and especially not without jason. Thank you all!

Edited by mexicanjavafish

Looks like a good overall color. I was telling Jason that the 6700k might overpower the actinics and yellowify the whole thing, but glad to see that's not the case. Good choice going with the VHO actinics.