My First Tank

so....i went with a sequence dart in place of the little giant i had...

thoughts?

advice?

Make sure you have at least a 2" feed. My tank currently has two 1" feeds that come together for the 2" intake on the dart. Any less and the pump can cavitate.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

OK we're putting the finishing touches on the tank almost ready to add water buuuut. We're using an ehiem 1262 for the return in place of the iwaki.

Two issues have come up:

1. Will the return pump over come the over flow?

2. The barbed out put on the ehime is tiny, I think .5 inch, and the hose it's being mated to is .75 inch. How can it be stepped up? Then the input is going to be hard plumbed with a true union to a bulk head but it's got a weid thread to barb out put thats not conducive to this... how have other people plumbed theirs? Pictures please?

If the Eheim overpowers the single overflow, you could use the second hole (that is usually used for the return feed) as a second return. Thats what I do with my 92gal and I'm using a Mag 9 for my return pump with no problem.

I do the same in my 210. Both my returns are now drains

(edited)

could this be moved to the dedicated tank forum? while i admit that it is taking forever (and with perfectly good reason i might add...) i think that's where this thread belongs :)

Edited by mexicanjavafish

OK we're putting the finishing touches on the tank almost ready to add water buuuut. We're using an ehiem 1262 for the return in place of the iwaki.

Two issues have come up:

1. Will the return pump over come the over flow?

Why not plumb in a valve just in case, use a lower rated pump or do the multipe drain plumbing if your returns go over the back some other way? You can also do some fuzzy headloss calculations as well to give you a ballpark idea.

2. The barbed out put on the ehime is tiny, I think .5 inch, and the hose it's being mated to is .75 inch. How can it be stepped up? Then the input is going to be hard plumbed with a true union to a bulk head but it's got a weid thread to barb out put thats not conducive to this... how have other people plumbed theirs? Pictures please?

I have a 1260 and used the green eheim tubing made for the pump, then went up using fittings to 1". I like low flow through the sump, hence the gate valve, but have been running it wide open for months now. I know it's not the same pump as you have. lol @ how I used to run carbon and the swingarm.

IMGP9031.jpg

Kind of a big favor to ask here,

Would anyone with more experience than Jason or I be willing to stop by here to check out all the plumbing and such? Say in the next week or so? We need to make sure everything is about as right as it can get before we start everything up, seeing as a leak or something else disastrous results in my death.

If anyone could, just let me know when would be a good time. A list of a couple different times from anyone that could help would be great.

TIA :)

Honestly, the only way to leak test is to... leak test. You'll know if there's a leak in the line by simply touching the joints. If you glued well, you shouldn't have any problems. Just fill it up with tap water, plug in the pump, and let it run for awhile.

Any leaks you have will be small and just drips most likely (unless you really glued something funny). Worst case scenario, put a towel around it until you can drain the water out.

could this be moved to the dedicated tank forum? while i admit that it is taking forever (and with perfectly good reason i might add...) i think that's where this thread belongs :)

I agree... you HAVE to be 'dedicated' to keep working on it for this long with no water!

bob

I agree... you HAVE to be 'dedicated' to keep working on it for this long with no water!

bob

Bob, it's only been a drop in the proverbial bucket! My tank was dry for long enough for the guy I bought it from to not only get a couple of new tanks and replace them, but to also buy a much larger tank and sell it off as well in time for me to buy more equipment from him so I could finish setting up the original tank I bought from him!

(edited)

:lol: ...

I have a bit of a complicated reason for taking so long--it's not my fault, I swear! If it were all up to me, it woud be done and I would have my clownfishies from Jason already (I'm getting the ones from the tub :) )! But, sadly, certain things are way beyond my control and if anyone has a bit of time on their hands and is really interested in knowing what in the world is taking so long, just let me know.

Anyway, we've tried testing it a little bit and there have been a few small leaks in the plumbing. A few we fixed, the other few should be getting taken care of on Saturday. I would still feel a lot more comfortable if any one could come take a look at it before we do much else, but if absolutely no one can do it, as it's been said already we'll just have to test it and go from there.

Edited by mexicanjavafish

:lol: ...

I have a bit of a complicated reason for taking so long--it's not my fault, I swear! If it were all up to me, it woud be done and I would have my clownfishies from Jason already (I'm getting the ones from the tub :) )! But, sadly, certain things are way beyond my control and if anyone has a bit of time on their hands and is really interested in knowing what in the world is taking so long, just let me know.

Anyway, we've tried testing it a little bit and there have been a few small leaks in the plumbing. A few we fixed, the other few should be getting taken care of on Saturday. I would still feel a lot more comfortable if any one could come take a look at it before we do much else, but if absolutely no one can do it, as it's been said already we'll just have to test it and go from there.

Guarantee if I lived a little closer - I'd be over there to check out your plumbing. And take a look at how your tank is set up, too. In fact - if this goes on much longer, I'll make the trip!

Best of luck!

bob

• 1 month later...

Over half a year later the tank is weeks from completion. The closed loop has been dropped for more effective maximod power heads

So at this point, I don't think anyone believes me whenever I say I'm almost done setting everything up and my tank will be up and running soon. But just in case there are still a few of you out there who do believe me...

I'm almost done setting everything up and my tank will be up and running soon!

(If there's no one left who believes me anymore, both Justin and Jason can vouch for me! :biggrin: )

And thanks to anyone who still reads this 8 month-old, fish-less, water-less thread. You're amazing. :)

You just have to get tired of people talking smack about not having water in your tank! The other officers made fun of me for the longest time because of me not having a tank set up in my house when I was on the board to the point that I even poked fun at myself in the forum rules, so with that in mind... you are full of it! There's no way you're setting up that tank, especially with Jason the Mod Man working on it! He's like ***** Eye for the Straight Guy, only apply it to tanks! ;)

If that's not enough insult to get you moving, I can dig out some more!

I'm not buying it. You guys didn't even show up at the winter meeting so we know you are secretly trying to figure out a way to get out of the hobby without anyone noticing. That's probably not even your tank...

:biggrin:

:lol:

I'm not sure if that was more about me or about Jason....

:lol: :lol:

I've decided... Jason is the Howard, only he's got long hippy hair (I'll bet Howard did at one point, too!). It's always good when you can get in two barbs in one post!

I'm not buying it. You guys didn't even show up at the winter meeting so we know you are secretly trying to figure out a way to get out of the hobby without anyone noticing. That's probably not even your tank...

:biggrin:

hey, hey, hey! Not showing up to the winter meeting was not our fault. I can't remember why we couldn't but I know we had some good reason for not coming.....haha and not remembering just makes me look bad... :rollface:

I've decided...Jason is the Howard, only he's got long hippy hair.....

I guess you haven't seen any recent pictures of Jason because....

n209700230_30770615_4413.jpg

......he no longer has the 'hippy hair' !

(don't ask about the pic--his dad wanted to take pics of us before we went out for our one-year :biggrin: )

I thought Jason's hair cut was a discussion on this thread somewhere a while ago??

Oh well, :rollface: :rollface: