War Chief New 120gal, Mixed Reef/ Fish Aquarium

WarChief

Soooo, I am very new to the hobby. I have met a bunch of awesome people already and I am drinking through the fire hose. Below you will see my tank. I have 2 cannister filters now. I have a EHEIM Classic 600 and an Fluval FX6. I have some Amazon wave makers, heater, and light. I am planning to get some high end lights before the month is out so I can be ready for corals soon as I am done getting my system full of bacteria and running steady for some time. I have two clownfish and plan to add more fish this week. If you have any questions feel free to ask. 

image.thumb.jpeg.69c9879e22da40aa3f94aaea364d954e.jpeg

Edited by WarChief
added text

• 1 month later...

Welcome to WAMAS and the hobby.

I have a frag for you of an LPS coral if you are interested.

A tip on your scape, it is all one level, you want your eyes to move while viewing. Consider creating different heights (my opinion)

good luck

Milton

I appreciate it. That was the original setup. Soon as I finish straighten up from adding the sump I will add new pics. It varies now. Standby to standby. lol

Josh

Aqueon Megaflow 125 Gallon Tank W/ 2 Overflows 72x18X22

Trigger Systems Sapphire Sump CR44

Reef Octopus Classic 202-S Protein Skimmer

2x Kessil A360x w/ wifi Dongle

Kessil AP700

Jebao MDP Smart Pump (Return) (MDP-6000)

1000w hygger Aquarium Heater

2x Uniclife Aquarium Wave Maker for 120-300 Gallon Fish Tanks 3400 GPH

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

Looks good thus far. Any specific reason you put the sump backwards or was it just something you accidentally overlooked once you started plumbing? Is the heater one 1000W or two 500W? I ask because I am sure a 1000W heater draws some crazy amperage. Keep that in mind when adding other items to the circuit and if you ever get a controller. I had an 800w Finnex Heater cook/melt an outlet on my GHL Powerbar. GHL said the big heaters are a known issue with all controller power bars. 

Besides that, what are the thoughts moving forward on livestock and corals? I am always intrigued on what people add or the thought process as we all do things differently.

Latest Additions:
Lawn Mower Blenny
Rainbow Anemone
Pulsing Xenia
Green Star Polyp ) (GSP)
Duncan
Mushroom

Kessil AP700

Nero 5 Wave Maker

Uniclife Aquarium Wave Maker for 120-300 Gallon Fish Tanks 3400 GPH

Fishes, Invertebrates, and coral:

2 x Clown

2x Damsels

Lawn Mower Blenny

Rainbow Anemone

Pulsing Xenia

Green Star Polyp ) (GSP)

Duncan

Mushroom

IMG_1913.png

IMG_1884.png

IMG_1885.png

IMG_1887.png

IMG_1888.png

IMG_1884.jpg

(edited)

image.thumb.png.beb4fed74cbbe00f798dccab54fab7ef.pngIMG_1914.thumb.png.990a776799b64b090dcea5fb12e34a59.pngIMG_1916.thumb.png.9ef99a923d0c23a2334e3c0fda178567.pngIMG_1915.thumb.png.19782648c8b22532dcc4c4bf0b0edbfd.png

Kessil AP700

Nero 5 Wave Maker

Uniclife Aquarium Wave Maker for 120-300 Gallon Fish Tanks 3400 GPH

Fishes, Invertebrates, and coral:

2 x Clown

2x Damsels

Lawn Mower Blenny

Rainbow Anemone

Pulsing Xenia

Green Star Polyp (GSP)

Duncan

Mushroom

Edited by WarChief
Fix Text

Funny you should ask, Lol, I just uploaded two posts with corals, Inverts, and my newest fish. Some of my previous post should have the others. Yes my heater is 1000W as I am heating 169 gallons roughly with the sump. I also have a battery backup on the return. Ill keep the heater on its own plug when I get my Hydros setup. As for corals, I am starting with easier ones and then working my way up. I prefer softies but will add some diversity as well. 

5 hours ago, WarChief said:

Funny you should ask, Lol, I just uploaded two posts with corals, Inverts, and my newest fish. Some of my previous post should have the others. Yes my heater is 1000W as I am heating 169 gallons roughly with the sump. I also have a battery backup on the return. Ill keep the heater on its own plug when I get my Hydros setup. As for corals, I am starting with easier ones and then working my way up. I prefer softies but will add some diversity as well. 

I switched from the 800w Finnex to the BRS 600W heater (almost half the amp draw suprisingly) and it is keeping my system steady at 77 degrees on 260ish gallons of water in a basement. Just keep an eye on it. The Hygger 500w draws 7-7.5amps, so I can assume the 100W probably draws near or over 14 which is an entire circuit worth potentially. 

• 4 weeks later...

How is the new system going? 

You may want to zip tie some mesh screen around the cages of your wavemakers if you are unable to find nem guards.  I've had a few anemones get wrapped up in wavemakers.  They survived, but it was a long process to isolate the nem and medicate.  If your anemone does become wrapped up in the wavemaker, start by turning off power to the wavemaker.  Hold the wavemaker above the surface of the water to see if it will untangle on its own.  If that doesn't work, use snips to cut away the caging and then delicately remove the plastic.  Isolat the anemone.  Then buy some mesh screening and zip tie it around the wavemaker cages. 

• 5 months later...

Glad it's coming along. I do have a question. I noticed that the return lines are well below the water surface. Do you have siphon break holes in them, or have a check valve? Curious if you've tested cutting power to the return pump and ensuring your sump can handle the water backflow.

I’ve cut power to the sump quite a few times. When I first installed it I surely made sure where my ATO and Sump are when power is out. I do however have a very nice battery back up with ReefBoxx and 12v lithium 60ah. Which would keep the return going. But should that fail I still have about 3” of a 44gal sump to go before I’m even close to starting to flood. I’ll try and get better shots. And post soon if the whole setup. My first nem split and is now 2. Handful of coral changes. Aero crab to try and kill off a couple remaining bristles worms I got off someone’s rock I added.

9cb620a9824a1fbe3cb6e172b11ee9bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_4703.jpg