Wanting to order huge tank - pros and cons of local store vs. ordering?

nburg

I am going to upgrade my tank to probably a WaterBox LX 240.5, which is a 60"Lx30"Wx25"H tank with an aluminum stand, 500+lbs and 400+lbs respectively. I'm excited but was thiking how am I going to get this from the curb to my condo?

I was thinking of ordering thru saltwateraquarium.com (vendor!) to take advantage of about $500 in gift cards/points (and no sales tax), but then I am not sure how I will move this in my condo building as they say they'll drop it off at the curb or for $150, they'll put it in the garage or in your front door but no stairs or elevation changes (does thru the halls and up the elevator count?). Then I run the risk of having a hard time finding a group of people to help me move it, probably a week day delivery during business hours.  Maybe they do Saturday deliveries or I hire professional movers and hope the truck isn't late? I'll have to call WaterBox and see if they have details. 

Other option would be buy thru a local store - do any LFS do ordering and delivery/moving into a spot in the house? If so, is it reasonable in pricing or crazy labor rates? Nice thing is the stand for this tank is preassembled. 

Is this a ground floor condo or an upper level. If upper level check to make sure the floor can support it. I had to brace the floor in my house for my 72x30x22 tank. 

on a side note, I have a 72x30 stand for sale cheap ?

It’s a concrete high rise from 2007 so no need to worry about floors and weight. It’s actually going up against a concrete support beam too. 

72” x30 would be awesome but would be a tad too big for my space. 60x30 or 72x20 we’re about the biggest I could squeeze without it seeming too much. Btw, your tank was great and your stand was awesome. I remembered liking it when I traded with you a while back.

Edited by nburg

Sweet. I just ordered a SCA 150. 60x24x24. Nice tank. Price point was good as well. About 1/3 the cost of a custom tank. Quality seems nice too. 

Ask the vendor who the local delivery company is and inquire that way. If you ask Saltwater Aquarium they wouldn't know the intimate details of deliverying in an urban environment where apartments/condo buildings are prevalent. However, the local delivery people will and can provide you with more info. Worse case you have to pay extra to get it up the elevator and into your condo. Just make sure the tank can turn around corners, etc. I know some DC condos are built pretty tight in the back hallways. Als double check size (LxWxH) of the service elevator.

Edit...Was just thinking that if they use Fedex then yeah, you likely would have to hire "movers" (LFS can do this) to do the last mile or friends/wamas members w/ appropriate equipment. Then you have to make sure your building will allow you to store the tank/stand temporarily until your last mile people get there.

Edited by howaboutme

When I was looking for a replacement for a 210, I contacted Capital Aquarium and at that time tank delivery was part of the install service.

Definitely contact LFS.

When I got my tank (84x39x24 CDA), I did it separately. Movers wouldnt touch it due to weight. LFS I contacted wasn’t willing to help - partly because I didn’t order through them. They told me the cost to me would have been too much. To be fair, getting it in wasn’t going to be that easy, though it was in the ground floor. So I can’t blame them for not taking a risk when they didn’t make money on the sale.

I ended up doing it with friends and renting equipment. It all went well, but each situation is different. Freight delivery put it in my garage for me. The rest was a bit of an adventure (I think I have a video on my build thread).

I have no idea what it will actually cost for LFS to do it, but for that size and weight, if you get the right equipment, it might not be too bad. 500 lbs between 4-6 people is doable. Or, get a lift table that will hold the weight. And rent the club’s suction cups. Depends on what you’re comfortable with doing and how much effort you want to put into it.

See how much the cost is for the LFS (reach out to several) and decide if it’s worth it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm tempting, lol.

I noticed Innovative marine has 40% off tanks so l am going to take advantage of that and go with the 170 INT. Same footprint as the waterbox, aluminuim stand but only 21” tall vs 25” which I actually prefer! Best of all, it’s like $4000 cheaper! 

I’ll figure out moving it. This tank should be lighter and the stand is in a few pieces I should be able to move. 

Pulled the trigger - 60"L x 30"D x 21"H. I decided on the external overflow vs internal. I won't be able to put it as close to the wall, but I will gain a lot of space in the tank. the INT version have a false back wall like an AIO for some reason even tho the drains are all centered. Silly design, so the EXT it is. 

https://www.innovative-marine.com/shop/EXT-170-Aquarium-w-APS-Stand-White-Made-to-Order-p238804313

Man, you don't mess around. It only took you 2 days to go from "thinking" to "buying". I need more than that for just clothes! Congrats! :clap:

You will like the external overflow, so much better than internal, easier to maintain, more area inside, etc. good luck.

2 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Man, you don't mess around. It only took you 2 days to go from "thinking" to "buying". I need more than that for just clothes! Congrats! :clap:

You will like the external overflow, so much better than internal, easier to maintain, more area inside, etc. good luck.

:lol2: Lol, when I make decisions, I jump on it. I've always been that way and usually turns out for the best. 

Just now, cpeguero said:

Awesome! I do love the external overflow. Enjoy! How soon will they deliver?

Says 12-16 weeks. I guess made to order? I've seen others say they have shipped within a week tho. I wonder if they're doing model refresh with it being 40% off. Online retailers don't carry the larger IM tanks anymore. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 1:45 PM, nburg said:

Says 12-16 weeks. I guess made to order? I've seen others say they have shipped within a week tho. I wonder if they're doing model refresh with it being 40% off. Online retailers don't carry the larger IM tanks anymore. 

Sweet, IM does make some nice tanks.  We are debating between the EXT 170 and the 200.  The stands were the selling point and what ultimately diverted us from WB and RS.  Keep us posted following delivery!  I’d be curious to know your thoughts and comparisons between IM and your RS.

On 12/12/2022 at 1:44 PM, nburg said:

:lol2: Lol, when I make decisions, I jump on it. I've always been that way and usually turns out for the best. 

I like it! 

I am still thinking of the ext 200 but stuck on the foundation problem. Congrats and can't wait to see it! 

Im guessing you are breaking down the old tank completely since you sold a lot of things from that tank. Softies are happy in their new homes by the way! Cant wait to see the pics of this up and running. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever receive a notification of when you’d be receiving the tank? I’d be more than happy to help move it in. Would give me an excuse to be in the area to visit friends that I’ve been neglecting lol

When I ordered it said 12-16 weeks on the page... I have heard nothing since. So I am assuming March or April? I will definitely hit you up for help! Good news is I have an elevator so no steps... bad news is it has 19 mm (3/4") glass on all sides and 22mm glass on the bottom so this thing might be heavy AF. 

4 hours ago, nburg said:

When I ordered it said 12-16 weeks on the page... I have heard nothing since. So I am assuming March or April? I will definitely hit you up for help! Good news is I have an elevator so no steps... bad news is it has 19 mm (3/4") glass on all sides and 22mm glass on the bottom so this thing might be heavy AF. 

It'll probably be pushing 400 pounds won't it? I'm in Arlington during the week for work. If you have a place for me to park I can give you a hand too. 

4 minutes ago, p3rmafrost said:

It'll probably be pushing 400 pounds won't it? I'm in Arlington during the week for work. If you have a place for me to park I can give you a hand too. 

Says >600lbs for the crate but that includes the stand and shipping crate material... so I am guessing ~100 for the stand? and maybe 100 for the wood and pallet... leaving around 350-450 lbs.

I will hit you up when I get a shipping date. I am assuming it will be during the week. The building is letting me park it in the loading dock if its not being used, so if they deliver during a week day, I can probably let it set there until any time that day. The only obstacle I can imagine is the door thresholds, which can be thick, and the parking garage door. So likely will have to put this thing on a set of carts and set it on one side. Doors are 36", but this is 30" wide plus the 3.5" overflow box. 

My schedule is tight, but if I’m free when it comes in, be happy to help. I even have some dollies I can bring (used them for my tank when it was delivered)

12 hours ago, nburg said:

Says >600lbs for the crate but that includes the stand and shipping crate material... so I am guessing ~100 for the stand? and maybe 100 for the wood and pallet... leaving around 350-450 lbs.

I will hit you up when I get a shipping date. I am assuming it will be during the week. The building is letting me park it in the loading dock if its not being used, so if they deliver during a week day, I can probably let it set there until any time that day. The only obstacle I can imagine is the door thresholds, which can be thick, and the parking garage door. So likely will have to put this thing on a set of carts and set it on one side. Doors are 36", but this is 30" wide plus the 3.5" overflow box. 

Let me know...I don't think my office is far from you. I can likely duck out during the day and give you a hand. Depending on what industry you're in I can probably call it a work meeting. Ha.

12 hours ago, cpeguero said:

My schedule is tight, but if I’m free when it comes in, be happy to help. I even have some dollies I can bring (used them for my tank when it was delivered)

That would be awesome. I have 3 flat dolly carts for Lowe’s but the wheels are not huge and can’t always make it over the thresholds with out a little lifting.

1 hour ago, p3rmafrost said:

Let me know...I don't think my office is far from you. I can likely duck out during the day and give you a hand. Depending on what industry you're in I can probably call it a work meeting. Ha.

I’m in safety and health consulting so I am applicable to all businesses :)