DIY food for fish & corals

pnchowdary

Scott711 used to make his own fish food and even sold it from time to time to members. I'm not sure that he does it anymore. It was good stuff, though.

Scott711 used to make his own fish food and even sold it from time to time to members. I'm not sure that he does it anymore. It was good stuff, though.

Great, thanks for the information. I was considering making high quality reef food for my fish and corals. However I don’t use that much food to justify the cost or the time. Therefore I was checking to see if someone else already did that, so I can buy from them instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you thought about buying flats of "commercial" frozen foods, for example ReefFrenzy? In some cases (such as with LRS, the makers of ReefFrenzy) they're small businesses that have fine-tuned their product and gained a lot of success along the way. Drop them a line and see where you can get some locally if interested.

I wanted to get LRS Reef frenzy, but seems like none of the LFS around here have it. Please let me know if you know of any place where I could buy it locally. I will send LRS an email and see what they say. Thanks again.

The best thing to do is to reach out to Larry and his staff at LRS. They're distribution network updates frequently. Be sure to mention that WAMAS sent you. Larry knows us and it never hurts to keep our name in front of him.

The best thing to do is to reach out to Larry and his staff at LRS. They're distribution network updates frequently. Be sure to mention that WAMAS sent you. Larry knows us and it never hurts to keep our name in front of him.

Great, will do

I have a bag of LRS reef frenzy that I'm sure I bought from Centreville aquarium. It's been a while though so call to check.

I have a bag of LRS reef frenzy that I'm sure I bought from Centreville aquarium. It's been a while though so call to check.

Thank you very much, will call them tomorrow and check.

Capital aquarium sells LRS reef frenzy and they are a wamas sponsor.  I prefer nano reef frenzy and use it to feed both fish and LPS corals.  I have tried almost every frozen food out there and it is my favorite.

Darren

Capital aquarium sells LRS reef frenzy and they are a wamas sponsor.  I prefer nano reef frenzy and use it to feed both fish and LPS corals.  I have tried almost every frozen food out there and it is my favorite.

Darren

Thank you very much Darren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to buy food from Scott 711 for a couple of years and now make my own.  It is really easy.  I buy most of the ingredients from the local Asian market.  I use a cheap blender.  I blend the ingredients with rodi water in the blender and blend to slightly chunky.  Then mix all the blended stuff in a bucket then put in sandwich bags and freeze.  I make about 6-8 months worth at a time and takes me about an hour or two from start to finish.  Lots of info on the web and WAMAS.   

My basic ingredients follow:

From Asian store:

-Frozen Seafood Medley (contains: shrimp, squid, cuttlefish, mussel, and octopus)

-Frozen Oyster

-Frozen Smelt (same as silversides)

-Nori (seaweed)

Bought elsewhere

-Reef Roids powder

-Spirulina powder

-Kent Marine Zoecon

-Frozen Mysis shrimp

-Frozen Calanus from Piscine Energetics

I used to buy food from Scott 711 for a couple of years and now make my own.  It is really easy.  I buy most of the ingredients from the local Asian market.  I use a cheap blender.  I blend the ingredients with rodi water in the blender and blend to slightly chunky.  Then mix all the blended stuff in a bucket then put in sandwich bags and freeze.  I make about 6-8 months worth at a time and takes me about an hour or two from start to finish.  Lots of info on the web and WAMAS.   
My basic ingredients follow:

From Asian store:
-Frozen Seafood Medley (contains: shrimp, squid, cuttlefish, mussel, and octopus)
-Frozen Oyster
-Frozen Smelt (same as silversides)
-Nori (seaweed)

Bought elsewhere
-Reef Roids powder
-Spirulina powder
-Kent Marine Zoecon
-Frozen Mysis shrimp
-Frozen Calanus from Piscine Energetics

Thanks for the detailed instructions and for sharing your recipe. I will definitely make my own food one day.

I reached out to LRS as per advice of @origami. They sent back the following information. I am sharing it here for the benefit of other members who are looking for this information.

Good morning,
Here is the link to our dealer map where you can find a fish store in your area that carries LRS - https://viewer.blipstar.com/blipstar?uid=1181791&value=10&width=auto

If you do not have a store near you, we do have one online distributor that can ship direct to your door. They are - www.PremiumAquatics.com

Have a great day!

Erica duPont Smith
Office Manager
844-577-3663
Erica@ReefFrenzy.com
www.ORDERLRS.com

I exclusively use LRS Reef Frenzy in my tank. I have never made my own, but as you see above there are recipes, and plenty of hobbyist out there have done so. 

I exclusively use LRS Reef Frenzy in my tank. I have never made my own, but as you see above there are recipes, and plenty of hobbyist out there have done so. 

Yes, my plan is to start with LRS reef frenzy and once I start to go through these quickly. I will consider making my own food.

I started to make my own fish food recently but with the move I stopped and hope to start again.

I love feeding so I go through a lot of frozen (since I feed primarily frozen) and it got expensive. I used to wait for big sales like 20-25% off liveaquaria and buy a year's worth of frozen at one time. It saves on shipping but I ended up having to get a dedicated freezer for pets stuff since the husband got tired of me taking up fridge/freezer space. Unsightly live blackworms was the last straw for him :biggrin:.

I used mainly fresh items I can find at local stores (shrimp, scallops, fish, squid, fish eggs, etc.). 

Add some seaweed for the tangs. 

Mix in coral food like reefroids and benepets.

Add additives like selcon. 

Make two batches (one chunky and one fine) and mix for the fish sizes.

I use the silicon ice trays from amazon to separate them and make it easier to break apart when feeding. 

Frozen food like LRS and Rod's are good but I like the engagement and control I have with my fish's nutrition. The savings help a lot too when you have a lot of fat fishes. 

Oh... don't use your spouse's nice ninja to make the food. He was quite unhappy. 

3 hours ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

It saves on shipping but I ended up having to get a dedicated freezer for pets stuff 

Oh... don't use your spouse's nice ninja to make the food. He was quite unhappy. 

I feel this. I have dedicated fridges/freezers for my hobbies, I have a freezer for hops and frozen food, a fridge for beer, and a fridge for dry aging meat.

I have to hide my nicer equipment from my SO, including my cooking knives, so I feel this as well!

I started to make my own fish food recently but with the move I stopped and hope to start again.

I love feeding so I go through a lot of frozen (since I feed primarily frozen) and it got expensive. I used to wait for big sales like 20-25% off liveaquaria and buy a year's worth of frozen at one time. It saves on shipping but I ended up having to get a dedicated freezer for pets stuff since the husband got tired of me taking up fridge/freezer space. Unsightly live blackworms was the last straw for him :biggrin:.

I used mainly fresh items I can find at local stores (shrimp, scallops, fish, squid, fish eggs, etc.). 
Add some seaweed for the tangs. 
Mix in coral food like reefroids and benepets.
Add additives like selcon. 

Make two batches (one chunky and one fine) and mix for the fish sizes.

I use the silicon ice trays from amazon to separate them and make it easier to break apart when feeding. 

Frozen food like LRS and Rod's are good but I like the engagement and control I have with my fish's nutrition. The savings help a lot too when you have a lot of fat fishes. 

Thanks a lot for sharing a lot of useful information and inspiring me to make my own food for the fish. I already make my own food for my two dogs, every two weeks. The fish food should last me many months.

My wife has already started asking me to get a separate refrigerator for the pets stuff. Now I know that I am not the only one in that boat.