3D printing, or places to buy MP guards?

YHSublime

I'm looking for anemone guards for MP10's, my anemones are notorious for congregating around the high flow area and I'd like a little peace of mind. Does anybody have some, or like the ones they have and are using? 

isaac..this guy on R2R does a good one. It's not something you put over the existing wetside. it's a complete replacement.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mp10-mp40-mp60-anemone-safe-replacement-guards.574281/

I have one just in case but haven't used it yet.

2 hours ago, howaboutme said:

isaac..this guy on R2R does a good one. It's not something you put over the existing wetside. it's a complete replacement.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mp10-mp40-mp60-anemone-safe-replacement-guards.574281/

Thanks! That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, I saw some last night that cover the front as well, but I imagine that gets tricky with flow. 

Yeah, you don't want something that covers the existing cover. Your flow will get messed up. I mean, it's okay but why if you have an alternative?

I have tested multiple products out there and I haven't found one that I am happy with. They tend to clog way too fast. I was looking at what Melevsreef does for his. Just a square box covering the entire MPs. Maybe I can see if my buddy can help design something? 

39 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

I have tested multiple products out there and I haven't found one that I am happy with. They tend to clog way too fast. I was looking at what Melevsreef does for his. Just a square box covering the entire MPs. Maybe I can see if my buddy can help design something? 

Part of the issue with just the box is that I'm already short on space on either end the of the tank, I'm not sure if there is a good solution. 

I think that's sort of the key balancing act you have to do designing a guard - the larger you make it, the more holes you can have, the more surface area of the covering, which means lower suction pressure at any one point.  If you're trying to keep holes to a low maximum size to prevent small things from getting in, the only real way to get lower suction (and thus less gunk collecting because less gets pulled into it) is to go bigger.  I think melev's cover is an acrylic box with slots CnC routed out for flow, so it's a bit larger in size (also helps to have some distance from the guard to the impeller in case something can't get through but can reach in).

You can also run into issues with changing the flow pattern if you remake the existing plastic instead of just attaching something on the exterior, but I suspect it's not hugely important (maybe moreso if you need your powerhead to push a long distance).  I'd probably take a crack at making one, but I don't have/use these pumps, and designing even from good dimensions can be a little guess-based for actual fit.  If I were to make something, it would probably be a sort of umbrella/skirt looking thing - smaller holes over a wide area and extending to the glass the pump sits on, then make that snap onto the top of a standard wetside with the output nozzle entirely unobstructed.  Then the printed part doesn't need to support a bearing (does the axle the impeller is on even have a second bearing away from the glass?), doesn't interact with outgoing flow much, and has enough increased surface area that the smaller holes don't have a lot of suction.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 8:39 PM, DaJMasta said:

I think that's sort of the key balancing act you have to do designing a guard - the larger you make it, the more holes you can have, the more surface area of the covering, which means lower suction pressure at any one point.  If you're trying to keep holes to a low maximum size to prevent small things from getting in, the only real way to get lower suction (and thus less gunk collecting because less gets pulled into it) is to go bigger.  I think melev's cover is an acrylic box with slots CnC routed out for flow, so it's a bit larger in size (also helps to have some distance from the guard to the impeller in case something can't get through but can reach in).

You can also run into issues with changing the flow pattern if you remake the existing plastic instead of just attaching something on the exterior, but I suspect it's not hugely important (maybe moreso if you need your powerhead to push a long distance).  I'd probably take a crack at making one, but I don't have/use these pumps, and designing even from good dimensions can be a little guess-based for actual fit.  If I were to make something, it would probably be a sort of umbrella/skirt looking thing - smaller holes over a wide area and extending to the glass the pump sits on, then make that snap onto the top of a standard wetside with the output nozzle entirely unobstructed.  Then the printed part doesn't need to support a bearing (does the axle the impeller is on even have a second bearing away from the glass?), doesn't interact with outgoing flow much, and has enough increased surface area that the smaller holes don't have a lot of suction.

Thanks for your patience with my lapsed response here! 

The problem probably doesn't have a perfect solution, especially in my particular case. I have 36" from back to front in my tank. With the wetsides I'd venture to say I'm losing 4". The one that is by the overflow and return is strategically wedged in between the two (externally and internally) and there's almost 0 room for play. 

On 10/26/2021 at 7:33 AM, howaboutme said:

I have these over my MP40s. They are great and replace the factory cages for the wetside. They do not take any additional space than the original wetsides. Flow seems to be not altered or minimally altered. Once they are dirty, I clean them with a 5% solution of citric acid without any issues.

6 hours ago, Yachaq said:

I have these over my MP40s. They are great and replace the factory cages for the wetside. They do not take any additional space than the original wetsides. Flow seems to be not altered or minimally altered. Once they are dirty, I clean them with a 5% solution of citric acid without any issues.

Great advice and recommendations, thanks!