jhOU 120 gallon SPS reef

jhOU

Decided not to start carbon dosing when I realized i could potentially solve 2 issues with 1 solution. In addition to high nutrients, I also constantly fight rising salinity from dosing so much 2 part. The solution… wet skimming! Previously I had the skimmer tuned to collect a nice dark sludge, which would take about a week to fill the cup. Now I am collecting over a gallon of tea colored skimmate in a week. With the increased volume, I’m now draining skimmer cup into a 1 gallon collection container with a float switch. It’s only been a little over a week, but po4 already dropped from over .2 down to .13. I’ll need to start monitoring more closely, I don’t want to drop much more. Pleasantly surprised how effective wet skimming appears to be. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7748689df7a1520230a8049b9e636b60.jpeg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/31/2022 at 5:02 PM, jhOU said:

Decided not to start carbon dosing when I realized i could potentially solve 2 issues with 1 solution. In addition to high nutrients, I also constantly fight rising salinity from dosing so much 2 part. The solution… wet skimming! Previously I had the skimmer tuned to collect a nice dark sludge, which would take about a week to fill the cup. Now I am collecting over a gallon of tea colored skimmate in a week. With the increased volume, I’m now draining skimmer cup into a 1 gallon collection container with a float switch. It’s only been a little over a week, but po4 already dropped from over .2 down to .13. I’ll need to start monitoring more closely, I don’t want to drop much more. Pleasantly surprised how effective wet skimming appears to be. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7748689df7a1520230a8049b9e636b60.jpeg

That’s awesome. I guess need to adjust mine again to pull more gunk out. My phosphates are on a slow rise too so your post made me connect the two that my skimmer cup isn’t filling as fast and my PO4 is going up. I think I moved it up in the water column too much so I need to knock a couple inches off the stand. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got a real camera! Sony a6100, Tamron 28-75mm lens, tiffen 85B orange filter, and amazon extension tubes. I still have no idea what i’m doing with it, but i’m pretty impressed so far with what i can get straight out of the camera. 8021e86623ed6d1de6d1d767b6a42347.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, jhOU said:

I got a real camera! Sony a6100, Tamron 28-75mm lens, tiffen 85B orange filter, and amazon extension tubes. I still have no idea what i’m doing with it, but i’m pretty impressed so far with what i can get straight out of the camera. 8021e86623ed6d1de6d1d767b6a42347.jpg

What is this HOT coral?

good old walt disney!

Wow, mine looks so different, nice to see some colonies rolling in local tanks!

Lens is amazing, I’d say you know what you are doing!

Wow, mine looks so different, nice to see some colonies rolling in local tanks!

Lens is amazing, I’d say you know what you are doing!

I will admit that first photo was taken under “gucci mode” blues… here’s the same colony under a whiter spectrum47749fbfa88d6cbbfefb87b9b33f6307.jpg

• 2 months later...

I rigged a UV sterilizer above the overflow box in the canopy, flow provided by the right side return T. I recently lost a wrasse from a bacterial infection, and started learning about redox balance relating to fish health… idk if redox balance is “a thing” to be concerned about, but supposedly UV can improve redox balance in addition to sterilizing. image.thumb.jpeg.898466e77ebd0f2e1e63f03c54a8da73.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I thought my water clarity was pretty good beforehand, but since adding the UV it’s like i went from standard definition to HD! The corals must have loved the par increase, because daily alk demand went up about 30ml

I’ve been considering UV to hopefully keep my sand bed cleaner and my glass cleaner, along with the benefit of reducing bacterial infection risk to fish and SPS. I’ve heard several sources say it can help prevent RTN. Water clarity sounds like a plus!

Did it affect your pH at all? Thinking with less bacteria in the water, there may be less biomass using up oxygen. 

12 minutes ago, nburg said:

Did it affect your pH at all? Thinking with less bacteria in the water, there may be less biomass using up oxygen.

had a very slight ph increase, but i attributed that more to the increase in photosynthesis and additional alk dosing

6 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Sounds like all positives to me!

The only potential downside i’ve seen so far is my nutrients may have increased… but i’m not sure it’s related to the UV. I don’t test nutrients super frequently, but Po4 typically hovered around .25, now i’m at .37 ?. But I’ve also been skimming less aggressively lately, so that could be the reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I sent out an aquabiomics test before adding the UV sterilizer, and finally got the results back. Pelagibacteraceae was the dominant strain in my system, which is free living in the water column. I’ll be sending another sample to see the impact of adding the UV. I think the results generally look good, but not very diverse. Anyone have further insights from these results? 404785254b26ac080400e3ad4ddfa4ed.jpg
2db05329f2da75e31f000514c6caaaba.jpg
380eadc65cc4270d605b3ee87db35079.jpg
0e8d41e16e7c95842ebaf428f291a3e9.jpg

So this is the issue i am dealing with.

I was running UV on my tank for years and my microbiome test shows Pelagibacteraceae is wiped out (See the attached pfd). The diversity of the tank is low and the tank look like a new tank even though it has been up for years (7). I did this test as my tank crashed and i lose ALL of my HUGE SPS colonies. LPS are fine.  I also did a DNA test and the good news is that no coral or fish parasites or disease causing bugs were found.

I have since turn off my UV. i will adopt the strategy of only running the UV if there is a problem.  Why are you running a UV?

Microbiome.pdf

12 minutes ago, menglish said:

So this is the issue i am dealing with.

I was running UV on my tank for years and my microbiome test shows Pelagibacteraceae is wiped out (See the attached pfd). The diversity of the tank is low and the tank look like a new tank even though it has been up for years (7). I did this test as my tank crashed and i lose ALL of my HUGE SPS colonies. LPS are fine.  I also did a DNA test and the good news is that no coral or fish parasites or disease causing bugs were found.

I have since turn off my UV. i will adopt the strategy of only running the UV if there is a problem.  Why are you running a UV?

Microbiome.pdf 253.11 kB · 0 downloads

I started running the UV when i lost a wrasse to what appeared to be a bacterial infection. Aside from bacteria sterilization UV also apparently helps with redox value, which supposedly promotes fish health. The water clarity is also noticeably clearer. I have seen my nutrients jump up, assuming from the reduction of pelagibacteraceae consumption. But I’m generally happy with the UV.