CUC Provider/Recommendations

YHSublime

I've always been a firm believer in restocking my CUC every couple 6 months or so. 

I've always been a big fan of ReefCleaners, but I'm a little turned off by a few things, one being the cost of shipping. Free shipping on orders over X is really not a thing anymore because UPS is pretty much required to ensure everything doesn't die/get lost/overheat. 

Two is variety (and I might find this everywhere) but I'm looking to add peppermint shrimp, and not trying to drop $200 on a CUC package, pay $50 shipping, and still not get everything that I need on my order. 

Does anybody have any recommendations for comprehensive invert packages either local or online that has snails, hermits, emerald crabs, and peppermint shrimp available? 

Whatever you do, I'd recommend a place that separates their invert system from their fish system. Unless you plan to QT your inverts, viruses can be introduced that way.

2 hours ago, sethsolomon said:

maybe check Reeftopia?

1 hour ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

+1 on reeftopia. 

Dang, shipping is looking better, but also out of peppermint shrimp!

saltwateraquarium.com recently started selling clean up crew. In-house fishless systems. I haven’t ordered anything yet, but seems like a good option. And looks like they have captive bred peppermint shrimp in stock.

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/peppermint-shrimp-small-tank-raised-lysmata-boggessi-ora/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, jhOU said:

saltwateraquarium.com recently started selling clean up crew. In-house fishless systems. I haven’t ordered anything yet, but seems like a good option. And looks like they have captive bred peppermint shrimp in stock.

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/peppermint-shrimp-small-tank-raised-lysmata-boggessi-ora/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy cow they are expensive... $12 for an emerald crab???

I ended up giving Reeftopia a try, I'll receive my order tomorrow. I also got some clownfish for the frag tank. I definitely got more bang for my buck, as well as free shipping. Thanks to everybody for the recommendation, I think it's my new go-to, will update if it's otherwise, but everything up until receiving my delivery has been a great experience. 

19 hours ago, YHSublime said:

I ended up giving Reeftopia a try, I'll receive my order tomorrow. I also got some clownfish for the frag tank. I definitely got more bang for my buck, as well as free shipping. Thanks to everybody for the recommendation, I think it's my new go-to, will update if it's otherwise, but everything up until receiving my delivery has been a great experience. 

They are definitely my favorite place. Just a note though, they gather them directly from the ocean so they *might* come in a tad dirty and with macros growing on the shell.

Just have enough saltwater on hand for a good rinsing and scrubbing before adding to the tank. 

53 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

They are definitely my favorite place. Just a note though, they gather them directly from the ocean so they *might* come in a tad dirty and with macros growing on the shell.

Just have enough saltwater on hand for a good rinsing and scrubbing before adding to the tank. 

Great tip, thanks! 

I had a surprise few days off, so I ended up doing tank maintenance, and making 50 gallons of saltwater. Hoping the crazy storms last night didn't delay anything! 

On 9/4/2021 at 5:51 PM, lowsingle said:

I get all of my clean up crew from local shops….supreme reefs and capital aquarium are my favorites 

Darren

too far for me, or else I’d do the same.

Last time I was at an LFS I saw dead fish just getting blown around tanks & stuck to powerheads. No thanks am I putting livestock/corals from some of those systems.

I recommend Reef Escape for LFS option.  Dave is adamant about their inverts being separated from the fish so that it minimizes the chances of fish disease transmission.  I find that their prices are decent considering the work that they put into the tanks.  

On 9/6/2021 at 1:32 AM, YHSublime said:

too far for me, or else I’d do the same.

Last time I was at an LFS I saw dead fish just getting blown around tanks & stuck to powerheads. No thanks am I putting livestock/corals from some of those systems.

They also wanted $8 for a trochus snail. I am willing to pay little more to shop at LFS. But not double the price.

1 hour ago, TrueTricia said:

I recommend Reef Escape for LFS option.  Dave is adamant about their inverts being separated from the fish so that it minimizes the chances of fish disease transmission.  I find that their prices are decent considering the work that they put into the tanks.  

great rec, but I’m in MD now, and it’s a trek vs online to my door ?‍♂️ 

5 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

great rec, but I’m in MD now, and it’s a trek vs online to my door ?‍♂️ 

I hear you!  It's a 30 min drive for me, and I find that tedious at times.