MH Lights - some help

I bought a seoncd hand MH and VHO hood light fixture including the ballasts and some "black box" with 9-pin and 6 pin connector.  Two of the three MH bulbs light up and one does not.  I changed the bulb and it worked on other sucket but not on this one.  What should I do?  Whant can I check? Where?

Jacob

how many mh's does the unit take?  3?  having a little trouble understanding the problem.  It could either be a loose wire somewhere in the socket- if no bulb works in it, or it is the ballast.  You can check the socket by swapping it with one of the others.  If the socket is fine then it is a problem with the ballast.  It will cost about $50 to replace the ballast.  6- pin and 9 pin connectors- I take it these come from the bulb holder into the ballast?  The 9 pin for halide and the 6 pin for vho?

I find halide sockets to not be the easiest to deal with- sometimes it takes a little futsing to get the bulb seated correctly.

Jacob,

I would imagine the "black box" is the container that holds the ballasts. It is probably the Hamilton light setup. From the sound of it it has three MH and a VHO setup all together with a reflector.

The pins are the connectors from the light sockets to the ballasts.

From what you are describing, one of the MH ballast is bad. Just make sure it is not the VHO connection.

Pic would be helpful.

Ok Guys, I put my engineering hat on and went to work.  The fixture has three MH 175W each and two VHO Actinic 160W each.  I tested the bulbs changing them from sockets and the one socket does not work.  I then traced the wire to the socket and got 62Volts to it, this means the ballast must be bad.  Ok then the ballast is sealed with rib bets so I manage my way through and found that is has three transformers and 3 capacitors.  Still with me?  Then I tested each transformer which I found to be a step up from 120 to 277 volts AC.  All Transformers are putting out 277 VAC.  Then I tested each capacitor and found two of them put out 277VAC and one puts 68VAC.  I found my problem and so happens that this capacitor is the one feeding the socket that does not work.  Well I called every electronic store in the area and no one sells the capacitors, I need to buy the complete ballast but since it is a sealed black box and it has three ballast they want me to buy the box… lot’s of money to fix a one socket don’t you think?  End of story, I talked the guy out to sell me the capacitor from an existing box and place an order for a replacement.  Finally the MH lights work, so much for engineering.  Now the fan does not work.

One more question, I got a brand new MH 175W bulb,  It lights up for 5 minutes and then turns off. Is this normal? Is it going through the burning period?

Jacob  

[crzy]

Jacob, the capacitor in my DIY MH kit looks like simaler to a start capacitor in a HVAC System. I wonder if you could call aireco or some other ac places and match the numbers on it? Just a Thought, HTH Gary

One more question, I got a brand new MH 175W bulb,  It lights up for 5 minutes and then turns off. Is this normal? Is it going through the burning period?

Jacob  

[crzy]

No, that is not normal.  Should fire and stay lit.  I'm not an expert here on how to fix it, but I do know once it fires, it should stay lit.

s

Not normal, the ballast that runs that bulb might heat up and shut itself down

or the bulb could be bad. Try the bulb and other bulbs on that ballast

Gary

Check Rexel in Chantilly near intersection with 50 and 28, they are very helpful and will sell you a starter capacitor.  At least they did to me.

Steve / Chip

I Tried the bulb in other sockets with other ballasts and it does the same thing.  I put old bulbs on the same sockets and it lights up fine.  So, based on this trial and error test it must be the bulb, right?

Jacob

well, the bulb is brand new... never used before.  Also, the fan was bad, so I found one at Rqadio Shack for $24 and replaced it.  Everything is looking and working fine now.

Dave / MichaelG

What type of bulb do you recommend buying for this set up?

The fixture asks for three 175W MH single end, mogul base bulbs.  I found CA-Catalina Bulbs 175W 10K for $39.99 each but then again I found Ushio 175W 10K for $69.99 each.  I like the blue/purple and white scpectrum.  What bulb do you recomend I use?

Jacob

I am running an XM400 watt bulb now.  It is really blue to my eyes.  You can't go wrong with ushio bulbs at that price.

Michael

Why so expensive?  Catalina has the same light for $39 each although I don't think is the same spectrum or color light. although it looks yellow/white to me.  What other than Ushio you recomend?

Jacob

Just a few thoughts on the mystery bulb.  First of all are the bulbs the same?  I've never used a MH bulb until it would not work but, there are two type of ballasts like the ones you described... a probe and pulse.  I'm guessing these are probe starts ballasts.  A bulb meant to run on a pulse start ballast might not work too well on a probe start, i.e. run for five minutes only.  I believe the difference between the two is the pulse start ballasts have ignitors built in while probe starts do not.  The other piece to that is pulse start bulbs do not have ignitors, probe start lamps do.  Just an idea.  

For a blue light, the XM 20K's seem to be fit the bill and price.  www.carolinacorals.com  Then there are CoralVue's but there seems to be some controversy on them and I have never used them.  Supposedly they are more white than XM 20K's also.

Hi Dave

Thank you for your input.  First, I tried other bulbs in the same socket and all seem to work fine.  I read on www.aquarium-lihting-guide.com that some bulbs may start and then turn off during the initial period while they burn evenly.  Although that did not occur with the other three, it take me to believe that it might be a bad bulb.

On the other hand I bought the $39 each from Catalina, and they are more on the yellow spectrum.  My wife likes them cause the tank looks clear, but in my opinion after looking at the corals under the Hamilton 10K 175W, they do not encourage the blue/green colors of the few corals in the tank.

So, I will now try the ones you recomend.  I wish there was some where out there that will tell you which light is on what spectrum instead of having me guess the Ansi/Node, etc. of each bulb together with the color/temp and the CIR of the bulbs that in other words for me means nothing -- just cause I don't understan it so far.  Some day perhaps, but not today.  So, if you know of a good 175W 10K or 6.5K out there with the blue/green spectrum rather than the yellow at a reasonable price, <$50, please, please let me know.

Thank you always

Jacob

Since the only 2 bulb and ballast combo has been tested (that i know of) 400w and 250w, Joe Burger done some reasarch on the 250w ypu can go to his web site joe burger's 250w MH tests    he shows the spectum on alot of bulb ballast combos as far as 174 im not sure if any research has been done but i would assume that they should be preety close in designs HTH G

[beer2]

Gary

Thank you for the link, that is more on the line I was looking for in order to determine which light applies to my set up.  Now, where do you guys buy the bulbs at?  good prices?

Jacob

I buy from hellolights.com, they have decent prices and excellent customer service.  They will price match any competitor's price and give you a 30-day return policy.  Even if the reason is "you just don't like them", you can return the used lamps.  You're out shipping, but that's not the end of the world.   I've also heard of them replacing or pro-rating some things after 30 days.  www.carolinacorals.com has some good prices on XM (price match) and CoraVue bulbs.  Hellolights does not sell CoralVue though.

Thanks Dave.

I took a look at the link Gary sent and in my opinion Aqualine, CoralVue, Sun Aquatics, and XM10K have the best colors.  I will look around today and see who has them for less and will later post for everyone to shop around if they need to.

Jacob

Transformer/Cap is a magnetic.

Electronic ballasts are purely solidstate circuitry to generate the pulses.

-krish

Krish - thanks.  

Ok, found few sites were bulbs may be purchased, but after much research I have to agree with Dave (Xeon), that CarolinaCorals.com have the best price on 175W Mogul 10K and 20K for XM and CoralVue lights .

Jacob