Reef just reached 50 years old

paul b

It was started in 1971 and was moved three times. The longest it was in one place was 40 years. The last move was almost 3 years ago.
The glass was also changed three times as it got scratched from cleaning. It was started in a 40 gallon glass, then for 45 years it was in 100 gallon glass and now 125 gallons.

It uses 100% NSW and the oldest fish, a firefish is about 35 or 40 years old. His mate is a couple of years younger and they spawn constantly.
There are about 25 fish. Watchman gobies are spawning as are 6 line wrasses, fireclowns and rainsford gobies.

It uses dolomite and a reverse Undergravel filter. The ATO, algae scrubber and skimmer are also DIY
Nothing was ever quarantined or medicated

(Actually it's birthday is in March of this year in 2 weeks so I cheated a little)

012.JPG

Longnose and Copperband.jpg

FTS Feb.jpg

https://ww

File.jpg

Red - Copy.jpg

Hippo.jpg

Bluestripes_zps7ttlg8rr.jpg

IMG_3088_zpsl2a9z5tf.jpg

Congrats, your philosophy on improving nutrition for fish to improve their longevity really inspired me to put more effort into feeding my fish more frequently and with natural ingredients.  It has really helped to decrease mortality for me.  Thanks for all of your rants !

Darren