What is everyone doing to reduce nitrate's?

sigel7

I can't get my nitrates below 50 and was curious what others use. I'm trying to decide between denitrate reactor, Bio pellet reactor or Vodka. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Sulphur reactor is great for about a year then mine went south real quick. I took them completely off

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

refugium or carbon dosing probably easiest in most circumstances. More details of your system will be helpful, tank size/age, bio load, mechanical filtration, skimmer, feeding habits ect... What’s your phosphate, if it’s very low compared to nitrates you may be phosphate limited, and dosing phosphate will actually allow nitrate to be consumed and drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My system is a 120 about one yr old. I run a sump with a Nyos 120 skimmer and a uv light. I have several lps and just started adding a few sps all coral are doing fine. I have about 10 fish and feed small amounts 3 times a day. My parameter's are Alk 8 Cal 470 Nitrate 50 Mag. 1500 SG 1.026 I will have to test Phosphates. I use Brightwell neo marine salt and do 10 gallon water changes weekly. Would like to find some clean chato to put in my sump but Algae Barn is always out of stock. If anyone knows where I can find some please let me know. If I missed any info just let me know. Thanks

I'm focused on natural filtratration.  Large water volume, reduced bioload, porous quality rock, marine pure bricks, open work rock with no dead spots, large continous water changes (awc) 

Mechanical filtration includes heavy flow, powerheads in sumps, filter socks, large quality skimmer. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 1:43 PM, sigel7 said:

My system is a 120 about one yr old. I run a sump with a Nyos 120 skimmer and a uv light. I have several lps and just started adding a few sps all coral are doing fine. I have about 10 fish and feed small amounts 3 times a day. My parameter's are Alk 8 Cal 470 Nitrate 50 Mag. 1500 SG 1.026 I will have to test Phosphates. I use Brightwell neo marine salt and do 10 gallon water changes weekly. Would like to find some clean chato to put in my sump but Algae Barn is always out of stock. If anyone knows where I can find some please let me know. If I missed any info just let me know. Thanks

A NYOS 120 may be a little small for your system.  If upgrading to the 160 is out of the question, the next thing would be adding some socks and and a carbon reactor (until you’re able to source some clean algae).  There’s also numerous members that’ll give you Chaeto for free, but with you being in PA I don’t know if you’ll want to make the drive.