Skimmer help

Mattb1612

Hey Wamas,

I figured I would try here. So I’m having an issue with my skimmer. It’s been running fine for two years but now I’ve switched salts and I’ve started dosing: Red Sea abcd, aquavitro fuel and acropower. I dose everything half of what the recommendations are. My skimmer now is overflowing like crazy so I’ve let it just run for the past week and did a large 30 gallon water change on my 180. I’ve opened the skimmer

fully up and still no luck.

Any advise should I start running carbon, raise the skimmer idk.... any help greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_3899.jpg

That's a lot of changes at once. I try not to change too many things at once so I have an idea what caused an issue if one occurs. That said, the acropower and fuel will definitely affect your skimmer. Are you dosing fuel and acropower all at once? Have you considered dosing one first and then add the other if needed? You can also break up the doses into smaller daily doses. Those products are adding to your bioload so you might end up with nutrient issues if you're not careful. In the short term you could try raising the skimmer little by little until it doesn't overflow.

I started dosing coral amino recently due to running a low nutrients. Too early to see results. Curious why you are dosing?

All three are amino acids.  By dosing half the recommended doses, you’re essentially dosing 1.5x what you should.  Depending on your nutrient level beforehand, I would have started with 1 of the 3 at 50% the recommended dosage (or 1/6 if you planned on doing all 3) and increase slowly.

Have you noticed any adverse effects such as algae or red slime?

So I have very low nutrients at 0 nitrate and .04 phosphates. I’ve run acropower for 1 year and my acros are doing well. I’m dosing fuel and abcd for trace elements. I dose 10ml acro and 10 ml fuel, 1.5 Potassium, iron and bioelements and 1 ml of iodine. So far no crazy algae would you recommend carbon.
This dosing methode is off of fish of hex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first read your post I read I didn’t realize you were dosing trace (I had it in my head you started reef energy). Using half the dosing of the 2 amino acids, I wouldn’t expect major effects on the skimmer (though possible).  I’d try raising the skimmer a bit.  After your tank settles into al the changes, things may normalize causing you to lower the skimmer again.  Just keep an eye on your system for any negative changes.

I appreciate the help. My plan is to take the skimmer apart again and cleaning it, make a 1 inch riser putting it at 6 1/2 inches up and see what happens thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had my Reef octopus skimmer overflow a few times for no reason. For the last few times, I usually solved the issue by clearing out the airline and put it back in service. If it still overflow, I slightly restrict the intake of the pump with my hand (let it suck in a little) until stop overflowing. 

Don't know the science behind it but it works for me thus far. 

Have you tried cutting back on the amount of air going in until things settle? Either that or raise the skimmer some. Sometimes water changes with some salts, new filter socks, or other additives can change the surface tension of the water and cause skimmers to go nuts. I'm surprised that it's lasted for more than a week, though. Normally it'll settle out in a few days.

My skimmer goes nuts whenever my leather toadstools molt. Every time. My tank is mostly leathers so my skimmer is mostly offline. Haha