LFS near Berkeley Springs?

treesprite

Does anyone know of any responsible LFS near Berkeley Springs, WV?  I might move to Middle of Nowhere in a couple months (not 100% sure yet, offer was verbally accepted but nothing is official yet). Berkely Springs is the closest well-known town (it's a half hour drive from Middle of Nowhere, in the opposite direction from Hancock, around the east back side of Sidling Hill on mountain roads, not the side you see on 68). I think the border of VA is about 30-40 miles down 522, so something right at the border might be okay, or going the other way maybe a place in or near Hagerstown. I'm not really sure how far Cumberland is, but I don't like that area.

Thanks in advance for info.

Not much ip this way at all. Berkley springs is not that far from winchester and theres nothing to speak of around here. I have to go to the city just to get fish food.

(edited)
9 hours ago, pizzaguy said:

Not much ip this way at all. Berkley springs is not that far from winchester and theres nothing to speak of around here. I have to go to the city just to get fish food.

It helps to know where not to go!

I'll still have to drive several hours to get the captive-bred fish I've been planning to get, if the move goes as anticipated. Would probably wait all the while until FF, pre-ordering fish and corals from responsible vendors (plus some FF freebies) after I've had a few months to make sure the tank is doing okay on filtered well water.  I really hope the move happens, even if I do have to do a lot of hobby travel. 

Edited by treesprite

Does anyone have info on Rick's in Frederick? It is probably about 50 miles, but it was the first and closest thing on a search. I would like a comparison with the other LFS that is in Frederick (I already know that place).

I went to Ricks for the first time last week. Not impressed at all, kind of a dump inside. So-so selection and seemed pricey on most fish.

39 minutes ago, Irishfist25 said:

I went to Ricks for the first time last week. Not impressed at all, kind of a dump inside. So-so selection and seemed pricey on most fish.

Thank you for telling me. It does not sound good. 

I think we are really spoiled in this area, having some really great vendors in such a small area. I kinda doubt there are any reef aquarists at all in Middle of Nowhere.

I would give the location, but the possible move involves a sale/purchase of a campground, and those transactions usually come with agreements to secrecy about the locations until the sales are complete. There are only a couple campgrounds in the area, so even saying the town will give it away.

It's been a couple of years since we've been to Rick's but we thought it was a decent enough shop. I'd visit again if I was in the area. There's a bigger pet store in Winchester that has lots of freshwater and while we were there a good handful of empty saltwater tanks they were waiting to stock. Saltwater isn't a big thing in that area according to the owner of the store. They did have a decent selection of supplies for fresh and some salt. Also I'm not sure if they are still around but the outflow of Berkeley Springs used to be full of wild guppies years ago. 

Rick's a good guy. He comes to meetings on occasion, often donating something. His shop is in Frederick, though. Still a ways from Berkeley Springs.

3 hours ago, Origami said:

Rick's a good guy. He comes to meetings on occasion, often donating something. His shop is in Frederick, though. Still a ways from Berkeley Springs.

There is nothing close to Berkeley Springs, let alone up the mountains. Frederick is pretty far, for sure, but closer than the DC/MD/NoVa metro area.

Fintastic in Frederick is my favorite LFS in the DMV. Its a bit of a hike for me but their prices are good and their fish have been really healthy.

I'll have to go see them in a month or two to get a new wrasse.... Unfortunately mine decided to go carpet surfing. I had a lid too, darn thing jumped out of an inch gap caused by the RMS mount.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

(edited)
4 hours ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

Fintastic in Frederick is my favorite LFS in the DMV. Its a bit of a hike for me but their prices are good and their fish have been really healthy.

I'll have to go see them in a month or two to get a new wrasse.... Unfortunately mine decided to go carpet surfing. I had a lid too, darn thing jumped out of an inch gap caused by the RMS mount. emoji17.png

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I went to Paul's shop a lot when it was in Rockville. Now sometimes I stop by on my way home from WV trips, but mostly just to look around and say "hi" to Paul and Cathy. I bought CUC critters the last time I was there. I'm too picky about fish now to buy them in the average LFS. Sometimes there are frags there that I might want if I am living too far to buy frags from my fellow WAMAS members. One day I took corals to trade with Paul, but a customer came in who offered me a lot more money and Paul approved of me taking the better deal, so I did. So I got more money and the customer spent less money, and Paul basically sacrificed potential earnings by not making me stick to the plan. He's a really nice guy. Cathy is the daughter of a man who used to own a shop in Wheaton Triangle. She worked at Tropical Lagoon after her dad's shop closed, then went to work at Fintastic.

Edited by treesprite