Need help with algae? in my tank

Maria-Elena

I am having problems with my 34 gallon tank. There is a brown algae (I am not really sure if it is really an algae) since months ago.

I had a person who tried to help me and recommended Seagel and other tips but it did not work. Also I want to get rid of the green mushrooms. Can someone help me please? I can pay for the coaching but I would like to find a solution. I live in Springfiedl, VA. Thank you very much!

'tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

Can you describe what are you seeing? Is it a film? Any air bubbles? Does it disappear with lights out?

What are your parameters, feeding and light schedule?

Sorry for all the questions. The important part beyond removal is to figure out why do you have the algae in the first place.

Looks like cyano to me as well.  You may need to increase your flow. 

+1 on Chemiclean. Be SURE to flow the directions ... especially regarding extra aeration. 

Regarding the mushrooms: The most effective way I've found is to remove the rock and, using a flathead screwdriver, digging off each mushroom taking a bit of rock out with each so that no tissue remains behind. You can do this in the tank, too, but be careful to get it all.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:04 PM, Origami said:

Regarding the mushrooms: The most effective way I've found is to remove the rock and, using a flathead screwdriver, digging off each mushroom taking a bit of rock out with each so that no tissue remains behind. You can do this in the tank, too, but be careful to get it all.

I just did this the other day (rock needs to be treated before going in the new tank). Be careful though with the angle of the screwdriver, otherwise a big chunk might break off of the rock.

This may not work for you, but I use a diamond bit rotary blade on a dremel to remove encrusting corals and mushrooms. I’ll cut what I want off and the mother colony will heal. In your case it would be hard to get in crevices though.