Anyone in the area with a 3D printer?

Joshifer

So I need a copy made of my lid but gated for light/air and to prevent fish from jumping. 

I’ll pay for the filament used. Doesn’t have to be fancy just usable. 

The issue will probably be size of the item you want printed. Several of us here have 3D printers (including me), but the volume that we can print a single piece within is normally fairly limited. In most all cases, that volume will be somewhere inside a ten inch cube or smaller. If there were some way of just printing up the corners and using them to join some sort of commercially-available linear rail, that approach might work better.

Thats not a bad idea, getting stainles steel large guage mesh to adhere to plastic corners is pretty simple. May even be able to get the corner pieces to snap together to give it an even more solid hold!

25 minutes ago, realypk said:

Hey, that's nice.  I would totally use that if it fits into standard screen frames. It would be nice to have those legs to fit over the corners.

Joshifer, you can probably find people around here (or at Reef Escape) who have clear 1/4" mesh that will go into a screen kit from the hardware store.  Lots of people use those screen kits for their lids.

The design summary describes it as, "Corner for an aquarium screen(Uses a window screen frame)." So it looks like it may work. It looks like the designer added a small pin in the inside corner to help keep even tension on the mesh fabric. The design has overhangs to fit over the outer edge of the tank. Those could probably be trimmed some (by editing the STL file) to provide a smoother look without compromising strength. 

(edited)

Thanks all. Sorry I forgot to sub to this so I wasn’t alerted of replies. 

i found that metal mesh and it’s rust proof at Lowe’s but I was trying to figure out how to keep it on. Those little corner pieces would be perfect. As of right now I cut some holes in the lid that came with it and I only use it at night so I don’t have to worry about them jumping while I’m workikg or sleeping. I hate how it looks. 

Edited by Joshifer

I wouldn't use the hardware store mesh, like it sounds like you're using.

I'd use the frame kit from the hardware store  https://www.lowes.com/pd/New-York-Wire-Frame-Replacement-1-2-in-x-4-ft-White-Aluminum-Replacement-Screen-Kit/3092641

but instead of screen I'd put clear mesh like this: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clear-netting.html 

and affix it to the frame using the included spline.

Joshifer, if you need those printed, just let me know. I have a printer and have  been making some things for the club. You can see it in this thread:

Actually I’m in the process of getting a new tank once one of the members sells everything out of it. If it doesn’t have a lid I’d appreciate you making me those end pieces. I’ll let you know. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk