Skimmer type, for limited space what's the best kind of skimmer  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Skimmer types, and best performance options

• Needle Wheel Skimmer
    • Air stone driven
    • Down Draft
    • Spray injection
    • Other ? Please specify

I have limited space possibly an 8X6 inch space in sump to place it. If any one has one for sale as well let me know have $$ and :cheers: . Also note for those of you who haven't already become aquainted with me... This tank is in a dorm style room, on a dorm sort of budget... The tank is a 55 gallon, with a thirteen gallon capicity sump with the afomentioned 6x8 or so space for the skimmer.

Any one with some great suggestions as well please include them in the response.

Do whatever ErikS says :lol:

Just Joking. I would suggest that you go with a needle wheel. They are great performers. If your on a budget get an ASM, if not go Deltec. If your money has no end get BUbble King.

I'll help ya out here -

Likely this thread will either get ZERO responses or turn into an endless arguement (given the politeness of WAMAS I vote the former).

Why you ask? Simple, there is little or no objective data on which to declare one skimmer "the best". There are just too many variables - tank size, bio load, feeding schedule, type of food, overall goal...the list is almost endless.

You can take the very same skimmer & different people can have wildly different levels of success with it = all you can hope for is subjective data....aka...opinions.

I have a used Berlin Turbo HO Turbo skimmer. If it wouldn't fit in your sump, you could always hand it on the main tank. Thats what I did on my 125 before I setup a sump/refugium. Would be more than enough skimming for a 55 gallon. It was all I had on my 125 for a while before I could afford a downdraft. Send me a PM is you're interested.

If you have room outside the sump I would recommend a Coralife Super Skimmer. It is a needlewheel skimmer and you can use it as an in-sump or a hang on. I had one on my 120g and was very pleased with it.

go with a needlewheel. most NW models are vastly better than the other styles you listed. ASM or reef octupus if you're on a budget.

I have an h&s 90 that is great if you can afford more. Its between $250-300 i think

ok ill throw this out there.. i have a 180 with some rock and three medium sized tangs.. it is connected to a 75 gallon refugium and a 30 gallon sump .

i dont want to spend a bundle on a new skimmer ..any recommendations for a couple hundred bucks?

Edited by fishdrummer

sorry to be dense but since my system holds over 280gal .. a skimmer rated at 125gal is enough?

how do i figure out how large it should be . i would like to add more fish and perhaps some soft coral

sorry to be dense but since my system holds over 280gal .. a skimmer rated at 125gal is enough?

how do i figure out how large it should be . i would like to add more fish and perhaps some soft coral

No, you'd need one rated to at least 280g......and let's not forget that some manufacturers overrate their skimmer (ain't this a fun subject :lol: ) so you'd need a true rated 280g skimmer.

If a needlewheel look for something in the 8" diameter by 30" high size, for other types someone else might have better advice.

ok ill throw this out there.. i have a 180 with some rock and three medium sized tangs.. it is connected to a 75 gallon refugium and a 30 gallon sump .

i dont want to spend a bundle on a new skimmer ..any recommendations for a couple hundred bucks?

To properly skim that volume you are looking at $400 as the bare minimum unless you DIY.

It is a good investment. Since your are not heavily stocked right now I would add the 8" nw octopus skimmer for $200 and start there. Be sure to leave room in your sump for a second one though (when your bioload becomes larger). Who knows though if you are mainly into softies that may indeed be enough for you.

fishdrummer,

sorry. I read incorrectly i thought you were the one who originally posted, looking for a skimmer for a 55g. that skimmer is definitely too small. you are going to have to spend upwards of $400 probably IMO

I haven't read this yet, but given that it's by Randy Holmes-Farley, it's bound to contain tons of info... http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php

I have had many different skimmer brands and have found the Deltec line to be the most consistent, and keep Orp readings up. They are expensive, but I believe they are worth it and will most likely be the last skimmer you buy. check them out here www.deltecusa.us & buy them here Blue Ribbon Koi

John

I have had many different skimmer brands and have found the Deltec line to be the most consistent, and keep Orp readings up. They are expensive, but I believe they are worth it and will most likely be the last skimmer you buy. check them out here www.deltecusa.us & buy them here Blue Ribbon Koi

John

I have to disagree! I bought an AP600 thinking that it would be my last skimmer. NOT... they are so good i decided to buy an AP701 to replace it. :wig: Talk about overkill.

I have to disagree! I bought an AP600 thinking that it would be my last skimmer. NOT... they are so good i decided to buy an AP701 to replace it. :wig: Talk about overkill.

Can't wait till I can afford money for the good stuff. Right now, $1000 for a AP701 is just waaaay out of my league.

PCI = Pacific Coast Imports. An importer of asian rim budget/moderate quality aquarium products.

More info the the skimmer they import in this RC thread beginning and this RC thread current

I disagree as well. I would put my PCI up against the 701 any day, would the 701 win? Probably but, not by 5x. Put 2 PCI against the 701 and for $400 I am confident the Deltec would be smoked.

And here the BS that usually comes with this topic begins. Tell me - exactly how many Deltecs have you run in your tank for an extended period of time? It's kind of like cars, you can buy <insert yoko-mobile name here> AND think you've got a 5 series but without owning one you'll never be able to say for sure.

Should we include intangibles like support in the equation? Good luck getting support from PCI, I've owned their products & their mantra is "screw you, you messed it up YOU fix it". I've met the folks behind Deltec & I can tell you 1st hand they stand behind the products

How about longevity? One can be fairly certain that an Eheim pump will be running years after some asian rim "clone" has given up the ghost. Even if it's the same company that makes pumps for AquaMedic (OR) doesn't mean it's near the same quality. Even if it was no OR pump will come close to the lifespan of an Eheim.

My point? Simple, skimmer data is subjective & there is nothing aside from things like "is working well for me", "pump is very durable", "support is excellent" that can really be said with any amount of certainty.

If one were to ask me about Deltec my answer would be:

A known a quanity with a level of performance that everyone seems to try & match, excellent service, & support. Decent construction with an outstanding pump. Is it the best in the world? No, from what I've seen that title would likely go to Bubble King. I have no experience but during my limited exposure it appeared to be excellent in bubble production, noise, and efficiency.

Sorry :lol: guess the "whoop'n" part just reminded me of that tool on RC who thinks his little hackzi-jets are a match for Tunze pumps.......not a critcism here, just pointing out that with skimmers one can't really give anything much in the way of objective performance data :lol:

Your right, sorry I just saw he was looking for a skimmer without breaking the bank (post removed). I'd be happy to let someone with the ap-701 borrow my skimmer for a few weeks if they want something to compare it too.

Dan

on a side note I don't think vendors should be posting in threads like this (even though I really like and support BRK).

Your right, sorry I just saw he was looking for a skimmer without breaking the bank (post removed). I'd be happy to let someone with the ap-701 borrow my skimmer for a few weeks if they want something to compare it too

Nah, no need to be sorry :lol: I was the one who kinda went into diatribe mode :lol: (realized it at the end).

Your right, sorry I just saw he was looking for a skimmer without breaking the bank (post removed)

Ain't we all really & for each of us that's different. Never used one but the PCI version seems like a decent deal, good performance @ a good price.

Personally I want Red Dragon return pumps & a BK skimmer..................dream on :)

Man, I'm still bumping along with a high volume downdraft skimmer.

It's been like a maytag,

Never leaked a drop, and the customer service has been excellent over the 15 years since I made it.

Your right, sorry I just saw he was looking for a skimmer without breaking the bank (post removed). I'd be happy to let someone with the ap-701 borrow my skimmer for a few weeks if they want something to compare it too.

Dan

on a side note I don't think vendors should be posting in threads like this (even though I really like and support BRK).

As a vendor member I am here to help and support club members, what I gave was my personal experience in MY personal tank. Buy what you want, but have all the options possible in front of you, I think most would agree on that. BTW the reason I carry the items & brands I do is because members have asked for them.

John