Skimmer type, for limited space what's the best kind of skimmer  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Skimmer types, and best performance options

• Needle Wheel Skimmer
    • Air stone driven
    • Down Draft
    • Spray injection
    • Other ? Please specify

If you have room outside the sump I would recommend a Coralife Super Skimmer. It is a needlewheel skimmer and you can use it as an in-sump or a hang on. I had one on my 120g and was very pleased with it.

I have a CSS-220 and agree that while there are certainly many better performing skimmers on the market, Coralife skimmers are very good values. They are a bit tempermental though and prone to overflowing, so I would strongly recommend using them in-sump vice HOB. JMHO...

on a side note I don't think vendors should be posting in threads like this (even though I really like and support BRK).

Hmmm... a bit OT but I disagree--at least when it comes to our member vendors. They happen to also be reefers, have paid their dues and have opinions just like the rest of us. Why shouldn't they be allowed to post? I would agree if this was a non-supporting vendor making random spam posts in the forum, but what Johnny posted was fine in my books.

Hmmm... a bit OT but I disagree--at least when it comes to our member vendors. They happen to also be reefers, have paid their dues and have opinions just like the rest of us. Why shouldn't they be allowed to post? I would agree if this was a non-supporting vendor making random spam posts in the forum, but what Johnny posted was fine in my books.

I also agree. Johnny has alot of experience to draw from and I see nothing wrong with him giving his opinion. He's a paying member and has helped countless people on this site. I hope to have a tank as nice as his someday. Considering how much he does for this site and its members, he can do no wrong in my book.....other than having his store so freakin' far away from me :cry:

As a vendor member I am here to help and support club members, what I gave was my personal experience in MY personal tank. Buy what you want, but have all the options possible in front of you, I think most would agree on that. BTW the reason I carry the items & brands I do is because members have asked for them.

John

I am glad you are here and support us, answer questions and carry items that we want and use. I was not refering to you posting in this thread (although I reread what I wrote and see how it could be taken wrong), and I think you absolutely should post your experiences with equipment and give advise on what to use. It was the where to buy it link that I personally thought was not needed. If the other poster would have asked where to buy an awesome Deltec skimmer from everyone on this board would have given them that link for you including me.

Dan

I am glad you are here and support us, answer questions and carry items that we want and use. I was not refering to you posting in this thread (although I reread what I wrote and see how it could be taken wrong), and I think you absolutely should post your experiences with equipment and give advise on what to use. It was the where to buy it link that I personally thought was not needed. If the other poster would have asked where to buy an awesome Deltec skimmer from everyone on this board would have given them that link for you including me.

Dan

I wrote and erased 3 times.....I will bite my tounge...

John

And now, back to the thread.........

I've said this before and what the heck,

I like downdrafts.

They supersaturate the water with oxygen and the high volume flow still allows for some of the highest contact time of all of the other skimmers out there. The obvious down sides are the size "pressure" pump required to feed a unit like this and the general height of most units, my downdraft column is close to 5'.

After 15 years, I have not found the need, or even found a unit, that is financially verses benifits worth making the switch. The closest I've come is Deltec, but for the money, I'll continue to bump along with the downdraft.

BTW,

one of the best features of our WAMAS forum is our ability to post what we choose and how we feel.

Everyone is worth their opinion, whether we take it the right way it was implied, or not.

As a reflection off Howards' head, TAKE THE HIGH ROAD FOLKS, and let this

go down the draft and move on.

My bad,

Choose the best and biggest skimmer you can fit in your sump and the highest qualitly you can afford. From what I have heard the big Becketts out perform everything else but, the downside is the powerhungry pump that is needed to drive them. Large Airstone driven skimmers can perform very, very well but the downside to them is that they need to be about 6' tall to work to their potential. IMHO there is no reason to buy a venturi driven skimmer as the needlewheel pumps are proven to be far superior. I would try and find a few people in the club that have a similar setup and see if you can check out their systems and see how the differant skimmers perform and how much space they take up and talk to the owners about the maintenence, product support, and overall happiness of their skimmers. Your welcome to check out my 2 systems and 2 skimmers and see what you think.

Dan

:eek: I wasn't aware this thread would start such a muddle(despite the warning i recieved early on in the thread, I've made my decision... I won't be buying new, and I'm now PMing members about buying preowned or finding DIY place. Any one care to help me out with that I'd appreciate it... :bounce:

http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/diy3inskimmer.htm <--- has anyone ever built one of these and would be willing to help me build one in exchange for cash or :cheers: , or at the very least does some one have or know where I could find a step by step photo directions for it's construction?

The picture directions are on the page. It looks like a cakewalk.

If that's the skimmer you're after, I'll cut your long pvc pipes to the direction sizes for you.

You get ALL the PVC pieces/fittings and I'll help you glue it one evening.