davelin315's 300 Gallon In Wall Reef Tank

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... there are two other frags in the tank, destined for school when it recovers. Anything else look like the same?

An update on livestock:

I lost the coral from F&F that was in the process of RTNing, but I managed to save some frags from it when it started to go. They are still touch and go, a few of them RTNd, but it looks like a few will survive. Also, the Mr. Coral deepwater I got is suffering from something, not sure what, but it looks like perhaps too much flow as the flesh seems to be stripping off from the direction of the current. I'm not sure why, but it's fading... Also, I lost the one female anthias that had the growth on her gill, thought I'd probably lose her almost right away, and I haven't seen the male for weeks now, but neither of the two remaining females has begun changing over to a male, so I'm wondering if he's actually in there still, just staying towards the back where I never see it.

I'm looking to begin finalizing the fish in the tank, now, too. I still would like to add a few more fish here and there, but I'm on the hunt for Regal angels. After seeing Copps's and JohnnyBV's tanks with their trio/pair of Regals, I've been hooked. I ordered two from Reefermadness over the weekend, and they were supposed to ship them out on Monday, but they said they didn't look healthy enough to ship so they are going to get me a new pair of Red Seas from their supplier and then ship them. I'm looking forward to this addition, and then a few more frags and a couple of larger colonies and I'm going to get to sit back and relax and watch it grow.

The remaining work that needs to be done is to put in the duct work for the exhaust fan and to finish the wall and add cabinet facing. I also need to add the final row of tile after I do this, and paint, but otherwise the tank is more or less complete!

About time for an update, although I have no pictures to show...

I made my carbon and phosphate sponge reactor a couple of weeks ago but it wasn't working too well as I was using refillable RO/DI chambers (I rigged up some whole house water filters with 1" fittings so that I could use it inline as my media chambers) and they need quite a bit of pressure to work. When I plugged the pump up to it the water was trickling out, about on par with my RO/DI unit. Since this is nowhere near the flow I wanted, I ended up disconnecting it and scrubbing the idea for the time being. Finally, yesterday, I decided it was time to fix the problem so I removed the cartridges and knocked out the filter at the top of the cartridge. I'm guessing it's a 5 micron piece of compressed paper or woven fabric, just like the pre-filters, and it was causing the water to not flow through. Anyway, I removed these and then shoved some filter floss into the top of the chamber. I then added my media and then put in another chunk of filter floss at the bottom and capped it off. Tonight I hooked it up and am running maybe 200-300 gallons per hour through there. This water pumps up to my frag tray and then pours back down into the return sump via the normal route. I have it running through carbon which is jammed in tightly and then it runs through some phosphate sponge which is much looser packed. I think that if I end up running it as a fluidized bed filter for the phosphate sponge I will be able to simply fill it 1/4 or 1/2 and the flow should keep it fluidized.

I also lost a couple of coral frags to something, not sure what. I have a sneaking suspicion that I have something eating some of my corals as there is literally a chunk missing out of one of them. I know that I have a couple of gorilla crabs in the system that I'm going to have to try and catch, but it also might be an emerald crab that is in there. I'm trying to catch something in the act...

One other note, I installed some "moon lights" over the tank. Actually, I wouldn't call it installed yet, as I simply took some blue Christmas LED lights and draped them over the top of the tank. They do a great job just lying there, but I think I'm going to mount them so that they do a better job. I have been contemplating drilling some small holes into the bracing to feed the LEDs into them, but I think I'm going to avoid that possible stressor on the tank's integrity and simply drill them into a board or a piece of plastic and lay it across the top of the tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, it's easy for time to get away!

A little update, I had started a thread awhile back on the bleaching that went on, I ended up losing about 5 or so frags, some of them nice, some not as good, and a couple of small colonies. This was totally my fault, and it's kind of interesting to see how strong the lights really are. Should have taken taken some readings before and after the carbon was added to the system.

Fishwise, everything is doing good. I added a trio of female anthias to the two that I can verify that are still in the system. I haven't seen the male for a long time now, but I am guessing that if none of these new females (the two I have left from the original 4 are still juveniles) turns into a male, the male is still somewhere in the background. Now that there are 5 of them, they swim together and stay out in the open all of the time. I'm still looking to add a few more specific-intent-fish, such as a couple of watchman gobies and perhaps a blenny (although there's not much algae in there so I don't think it would survive), and of course, I'm still looking for regals.

Equipment wise, I'm probably going to upgrade to a GSA Standard 12, at least that's the plan. I am also going to eventually finish the ducting so that I can cool the room down a lot, it's quite warm in there although the tank stays moderately cool still.

As soon as I get the energy up to scrape the coralline and residual algae off the front of the tank, I'll post some picture updates.

It's been a while since I checked in. Your tank looks awesome, Dave! You're going to have a really nice room to retreat to in times of stress in order to relax. And after everything you've done to get your tank up and running, you need to relax. :)

Yeah, those lights are REALLY bright. It looks like you have your lights really low too. How far is it from the lights to the top of your rock structure?

• 1 month later...

Heh heh, I was just thinking I needed to post up some new pictures soon. Everything is good, finally settled down from the bleaching I had going on and the tank is looking healthy. Other than that, a couple of changes here and there, but mostly when I have energy to do stuff to the tank, it involves finishing off the cooling system in there (venting the hot air outside). I still need to add one more vent to the system to get it cool all of the time, just a normal fan this time that draws the air out. I will post up when I get the chance!

Great! I look forward to seeing the pics!

It's great to hear that the bleaching has stopped. And now would definitely be a good time to get the air circulation running. I'm afraid it's about to get VERY warm and STAY very warm for a while. I understand how the fish and corals feel, I can't stand the heat either. :lol2:

• 4 weeks later...

Heh heh, I was just thinking I needed to post up some new pictures soon. I will post up when I get the chance!

Been a while, don't you think class?

Pictures, pictures, we need pictures!

Bump to the top

:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm scheduled to receive my GSA Standard 12 on Monday (I think that's what I ordered, it's been a long time due to my desire to not drive down to Alexandria!) and in anticipation of that I removed my ASM G-6 and sold it. The first thing I noticed is that the removal of 4 pumps (3 Sedra 9000s and a single Mag 3) really brought the water temperature down. I didn't realize just how much heat was being transferred over to the water from these pumps! The water temperature is now pretty consistently staying at 78 degrees so I am happy I made the decision to transfer over.

Also, now that I have decided on which magnet to use, I will get the front panel cleaned up and snap some updates soon.

Well thought out and SWEET setup.

We just moved here, just joined wamas and this forum as well. I have spent the last few hours checking out myour build, from square 1 to now. lotsa work I see!

My brother has a 300g setup as well in N. California. I didn't fully see the scope of the project until reading the work into yours and the planning!

I have the fish disease as well! Fresh for the last 15, now on to our 1st salt. I bought it and moved it and it is up and running, nothing has died so far, NOW I see what my brother was talking about when he said join a club, meet people and get help!

I have learned tons just reading this one thread, albeit 13 pages worth, and hope to learn more and meet everyone that is part of wamas at the monthly meetings.

Glad to hear you caught the demon blenny too~

Chad

Well thought out and SWEET setup.

We just moved here, just joined wamas and this forum as well. I have spent the last few hours checking out myour build, from square 1 to now. lotsa work I see!

My brother has a 300g setup as well in N. California. I didn't fully see the scope of the project until reading the work into yours and the planning!

I have the fish disease as well! Fresh for the last 15, now on to our 1st salt. I bought it and moved it and it is up and running, nothing has died so far, NOW I see what my brother was talking about when he said join a club, meet people and get help!

I have learned tons just reading this one thread, albeit 13 pages worth, and hope to learn more and meet everyone that is part of wamas at the monthly meetings.

Glad to hear you caught the demon blenny too~

Chad

Welcome to the club! Where did you move from (sounds like CA, but not sure of that)?

Welcome to the club! Where did you move from (sounds like CA, but not sure of that)?

Thanks for the welcome. I should probably start a thread and post some of my setup and get to know some people - along with some help and ideas - especially with second hand equipment that we should get up and running.

I am originally from San Clemente, Ca. Having lived in succession - Beale AFB, CA (Roseville/Yuba City, CA) - Riyahd, Saudia Arabia with the USAF - Tokyo, Japan - Pismo Beach, Ca - Minot, ND - and finally Riviera Beach/Pasadena, MD.

Hopefully the list stops there for a while. My wife is an Officer with the USAF and currently works with the NSA. We will retire here in 4 years, so hopefully we like it as much then as we do so far. We are only 34 with no kids yet(married 14yrs. and finally trying now), so we'll see.

Guess I should start a thread and go from there.

Thanks for the welcome,

Chad

Woo hoo! Dan was here tonight to help me install the new skimmer (Standard 12) and with his help... OK, he did all of it other than cut 2 pieces of PVC... I've got my new gravity fed skimmer online. I need to swap out my return pump and redo a few connections on the system, but overall it's ready to go! I will try and get some pictures ready to go and then once I pick up the new magnet, it's time for some new photos! This thing is a beast of a skimmer and I'm looking forward to my first cup of skimmate making me gag as I clean it out!

This thread has too many words, I like pictures.

Me too!!!

Dave, you really had me rolling with your comment about the first cup. :lol2:

That is ONE job that I simply can't talk my wife into doing. No way, no how, no bribes are enough. :lol2:

i have heard that if you add a little kalk powder in the cup it will make the smell not so bad.

OK, you asked for some updated pictures. I still need to clean the glass off but this will give you an idea of what it's looking like now and give you some idea of how some things have grown and others have been changing colors.

DSC_7792.jpg

Left side of the tank, you can see I need that cleaning magnet...

DSC_7793.jpg

Center of tank... another huge patch of algae...

DSC_7794.jpg

Little chunk of porites from Doug in the center, it grew a few new "heads", although it's not liking its proximity to the new Christmas Tree Worm rock I added. The gramma is a new one that I added (total of 4 now). It likes to hide in the Montipora above the porites.

DSC_7795.jpg

Here's the worm rock, it gets blasted by current and the porites seems to be doing great, but the water that deflects off it hits the porites above.

DSC_7796.jpg

The center gramma is the old one and the one on the left is one of the new ones. The old one is about 3-4x the size of the new ones.

DSC_7797.jpg

Another new one.

DSC_7798.jpg

One of the new firefish hanging out with the new gramma.

DSC_7799.jpg

One of the two sand-sifting gobies I added to turn the sand bed over. Gold headed sleeper.

DSC_7800.jpg

Sifting away...

DSC_7801.jpg

Yellow with blue/purple polyps Montipora I got at the Mr. Coral Social way back when. The color started out brick red, now it's yellowing up, especially at the lower edge.

DSC_7802.jpg

A little acro colony I got from the Aquarium Company. It lost flesh on the inside, hoping it doesn't continue to do so. Under it to the left is my little tiny bit of cyano or diatoms, not sure which.

DSC_7803.jpg

My frag of Christmas Tree Sarmentosa. It's still electric green with red polyps on the base and the top is more muted.

DSC_7804.jpg

Clowns in their anemone.

DSC_7805.jpg

Another.

DSC_7806.jpg

This is a branching Montipora danae I got from the Aquarium Company. It's brownish green but I'm waiting to see what colors develop on it.

DSC_7807.jpg

One of the rainbow montis I bought from Bob/lanman. It's encrusting but hasn't shown much color change except on the backside...

DSC_7808.jpg

This is the staghorn I got from Khanh/bendalat. It's got reddish polyps with the purple base but the color comes and goes. Originally he got this from Rik Leishman.

DSC_7809.jpg

From Doug. Not sure what it is still, but a large branch snapped off and is growing elsewhere in the tank now.

DSC_7810.jpg

Also from Doug, this is the Valida or Tri-Color from him, not sure which. Fully encrusted and has grown quite thick and branching.

DSC_7811.jpg

Another shot of the unknown and the Doug corals (I'm just gonna start calling them all Acropora arthurensis). You can see the amount of encrusting on the base of the back one.

DSC_7812.jpg

Pokerstar from Doug. It's recovering after getting burned and bleached when I added carbon.

DSC_7813.jpg

Another shot. The smaller chunk in back is in much better shape and actually resembles a rainbow as well.

DSC_7814.jpg

My unicorn tang. This is the one I thought was a Vlamingi but he's developing his "horn".

DSC_7815.jpg

A crocea from Dr. Mac.

DSC_7816.jpg

A cool colony of corals I got from the Aquarium Company. It's got what I think is a stag in the back of some sort, a Pocillopora in front, a favia on the left side, and there's even a tiny Trachyphyllia on the right side, although with how I mounted it I don't know if it's still there or not. There are also colonial tunicates all over the rock it's on. Great little piece, very diverse!

DSC_7817.jpg

Another shot.

DSC_7818.jpg

Another shot.

DSC_7819.jpg

One of the Acan frags from the frag fest. This is one that turned white from being too high up, now it's growing really well in a crack in the rock I jammed it into.

DSC_7820.jpg

Not sure what this one is. Could be a Pavona, but not convinced of that.

DSC_7821.jpg

Two grammas in the corner, old one and one of the new ones.

DSC_7822.jpg

Random shot of the tank, right center.

DSC_7823.jpg

One of my queen conchs, it has grown to about 2-3" from being less than an inch when I added it.

DSC_7824.jpg

Dussumieri Tang, one of the two. They have both darkened up a lot, still waiting for the adult coloration to come through. They have also grown a bit since I added them to the main tank.

DSC_7825.jpg

Miyagi tort, not sure what color it will end up. Got this one from Chris Tran on his first breakdown.

DSC_7826.jpg

Gramma, new one in the Montipora arthurensis. :biggrin:

DSC_7827.jpg

Idaho Grape Montipora from Bob/lanman. Lost some color when I put it up high.

DSC_7828.jpg

Old gramma.

DSC_7829.jpg

Acropora chesterfieldensis from Dr. Mac. Regained its lime green coloration with force, but the polyp extension is odd and covers most of it up.

DSC_7830.jpg

Favia on the side of the Aquarium Company "colony".

DSC_7831.jpg

My mandarin cruising around.

DSC_7832.jpg

Here's my regal in "QT". Actually, it's in isolation to fatten it up before adding it to my system. I'm still hoping to get another one, hopefully a yellow belly, to add in at the same time and acclimate together. This one's a blue belly and he's eating everything I toss in there and comes up to visit me when I walk into the tank room.

DSC_7833.jpg

Here it is, the Standard 12. It sits on a 5 gallon bucket in the sump. Installed just under 24 hours earlier.

DSC_7834.jpg

Here's the "herbie" overflow. You can see that my pump is not pushing enough water back through the system to hit the elevated overflow.

DSC_7835.jpg

Here's the skimmer cup. It's MASSIVE!

DSC_7836.jpg

Here's my Imperator that I got as an adult from the Aquarium Company (also picked up the zebra moray, but he's in the sump under tons of rock and comes out for food only). He'll be added to the display when I'm convinced the regal(s) will do well. Still not sure, though, he could be my sump buddy.

DSC_7837.jpg

Here's the skimmer again.

DSC_7838.jpg

Here's the two firefish from BRK. The third is still MIA after leaping out when I put it in. It landed next to the chiller... in a pile of salt... put it back and haven't seen it since.

DSC_7839.jpg

Firefish again.

DSC_7841.jpg

Here's my Exquisite Fairy Wrasse from BRK. He has grown since then but lost his buddy, the Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse when it made the Evel Knievel jump across the walkway onto the frag rack next to the dehumidifier.

DSC_7842.jpg

Here's the mandarin again.

DSC_7843.jpg

Again.

DSC_7844.jpg

DSC_7845.jpg

DSC_7846.jpg

DSC_7847.jpg

Here's the head of my Midas Blenny. He always schools with the anthias. According to Craig/beltwaybandit, they tend to do that in nature and the color similarities are striking.

DSC_7848.jpg

Here's another shot of a crocea.

DSC_7849.jpg

Another crocea. This one was on its last legs when I got it and was all messed up, gaping, abused by a blenny, byssal opening was messed up, but it has recovered since then and has some great patterns. From this view it's blue, but from the top it's green.

DSC_7850.jpg

Here's the mystery wrasse I picked up from Mohsin's tank breakdown. This fish was brought in to help get rid of what I think are pyramid snails (funny, though, they don't touch the clams at all which makes me wonder if they are in fact pyramid snails). Very pretty fish and has become much more outgoing since I added it.

DSC_7852.jpg

Another shot. Very photogenic fish.