Lynn's Fish Room

IMO, if you have a controller it's best to make it work for you. Even with a pump I have a max time on safety programed in the apex. Once it exceeds that time, it shuts off the pump and notifies me. It has caught a stuck float switch, and also an empty ATO reservoir for me. I have it on my to-do list to install a low level sensor/switch to catch a float switch stuck in the up/full position.

With your investment I believe it's definitely worth the extra monitoring and safety checks. I assume your controller controls and monitors your heaters? Just last week my controller notified me that the temp dropped a little low in the tank. Turns out one of my heaters had failed. With the Apex EB832 I also monitor the power draw of my return pump. I have a notification if the pump is supposed to be on, but it is not drawing sufficient power. This should catch a pump failure. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/5/2023 at 11:32 AM, WheresTheReef said:

IMO, if you have a controller it's best to make it work for you. Even with a pump I have a max time on safety programed in the apex. Once it exceeds that time, it shuts off the pump and notifies me. It has caught a stuck float switch, and also an empty ATO reservoir for me. I have it on my to-do list to install a low level sensor/switch to catch a float switch stuck in the up/full position.

With your investment I believe it's definitely worth the extra monitoring and safety checks. I assume your controller controls and monitors your heaters? Just last week my controller notified me that the temp dropped a little low in the tank. Turns out one of my heaters had failed. With the Apex EB832 I also monitor the power draw of my return pump. I have a notification if the pump is supposed to be on, but it is not drawing sufficient power. This should catch a pump failure. 

Yes. I use the Hydros controller. It def saved me many times with the system. 

The new gravity ATO worked great!!! I don't have to refill every few days.

Update on the 330 Gal (7'x3'x2')

Lighting: I decided to go with the Reefi Uno 2.0. I have always been a big fan of the radions but since the light will be right behind my desk, I wanted something with less glare. I hear a lot of raves about this light and never tested it out. At the same time, support my fellow small business.

After some lengthy discussion with Daniel, he custom made the bracket for my rimmed tank and a rendering of the light set up for me using 2040 T Slot Aluminum Extrusion.

We are doing 8 lights. Since I want mostly sps in the back and lps at the front, the 4 front light will be at an angle to focus more toward the back.

1688307604666-png.3223765

1688307190272.png

Angle example:

1688307234223-png.3223758

Brackets: Right is the tilted.
1688307473675-png.3223762

Flow: We had the chance to visit WWC back in May and with some guidance, we decided on 4 x MP40s for the tank. If more is needed I can add on. I used them before and have always loved the MPs so it definitely didn't take too much convincing. Though I was surprised that they didn't think I would need more than 4. I trust their judgement. Good news is I only had to order 3 more. Hoarding is good ... sometimes.

1688307804016-jpeg.3223767

Rock Structure: I am going with Marco Rocks. I love the flat rocks and the versatility of the different shapes that they have available. With the help of my friend Ellie, we finished up the design and glued them together with mortar from the same company. Will be rinsing them out and going into the tank soon!

1688308008208-png.3223771

1688308023733-png.3223772

1688308035288-png.3223773

The mortar didn't work very well for me. Wonder if I was using it wrong. When I tried to pick it up after a couple of days, most of them came off. Ended up taking parts and assembling inside the tank. Unfortunately it's not the exact scape but it works well.