Paint or drill first

finaddict

Should I paint my tank then drill for the overflow or do you drill first?

Also, does it matter if there is paint under the gaskets for the overflow?

Should I paint my tank then drill for the overflow or do you drill first?

I don't think it really matters. If you paint first, you may mess up the paint when you're drilling.

Also, does it matter if there is paint under the gaskets for the overflow?

Probably doesn't matter so long as the paint is smooth with no large globs or runs. But are you overthinking it? Often the paint is on the outside of the tank and the bulkhead flange and gasket are on the inside. In which case, it's not an issue because the paint and gasket never touch.

Probably doesn't matter so long as the paint is smooth with no large globs or runs. But are you overthinking it? Often the paint is on the outside of the tank and the bulkhead flange and gasket are on the inside. In which case, it's not an issue because the paint and gasket never touch.

Interestingly, the Shadow overflow that I have has a gasket that goes inside the tank and another that goes outside tank on each pipe.  I am definitely over thinking this as I am flying solo with only the help of this forum and youtube!  I am setting up my first large tank with a sump in my family room and I am over thinking it for sure..... I am nervous about this! 

Thanks for the advice....

Drill first, then clean and paint.  I wouldn't get paint under the shadow overflow gasket on the outside because the paint doesn't really stick to the glass.  It is really easy to scrape off. 

I installed a shadow overflow and what I did was drill, cleaned it, then put painters tape on the back sides of the holes, installed the bulkheads with gaskets, then cut around the outside of the gaskets with a utility knife, leaving the painters tape in the middle.  Then removed the bulkheads and painted.  I ended up with perfectly clean glass for the outer gaskets.

I re-read that explanation and realized that it might not make sense. 

I put painters tape through the hole so it went from the inside of the tank to the outside of the tank and kind of lined the hole with it to get bunch of tape on the outside with the hole still open.  Then shoved the bulkhead through it and screwed it down loosely and trimmed around the edge.  

I used spray paint, so after removing the bulkhead I then put tape in the inside of the hole in the tank so I wouldn't get overspray through the holes.  Roller paint works ok, too.  

You'll need a few coats of any of it to really make it black.

Alan thanks for the explanation... that makes perfect sense and it is how I will do it today. The only difference is I plan to roll on the black paint but I will make sure to tape off the area around the holes as you described. Thanks

Two 63mm holes have been successfully drilled... Test fit the overflow and it fits perfectly.  Only complaint are some very minor chips around the holes but you will never see them nor will they effect the operation.

I bought rustoleum glass black paint and it looks horrid.... first coat is thin and dried quickly which is what I wanted but the second thicker coat looks equally bad... I will paint another coat  and hope it turns out better... right now it is very transparent and streaky.... more to follow in 90 minutes or so! I suspect it will take 4-5 coats to maybe make it look decent. I am just not confident that dding paint to the back will improve the inside appearance.

I hope I didn't blow it here..........

I think it'll be fine.  Mine was transparent and streaky pretty much until I had on a few coats.  I did flat black, though, not gloss.  The gloss might adhere less well maybe?  Plus once it's up against a wall you won't have light shining through it and you won't even see the thin spots.

I paint after bulkheads are in place, because I worry that the paint surface will prevent a good seal.

So the third and fourth coat are on and it looks much better.  I also changed from a high density foam roller to a premium foam roller that wasn't so dense and it worked much better.... the regular foam roller allowed a much heavier coat of paint go on.  There are still thin spots so I will do at least one more but whenever I am happy I will apply another coat just to be safe.  I think it is time to create a build thread since I am finally taking action after planning this tank for months.

Probably a bit late here but no paint under the gasket is preferred. I've seen it happen where the paint does not adhere perfectly to the glass and, over time, can come loose. It the gasket is over the top of it, you'll eventually start to see bubbling coming out from the underside of the gasket as the paint adhesion fails and salt begins to creep out. It's best (in the long run) to have nothing between the glass and the bulkhead gasket. However, if it does happen, it's more of a visual nuisance than anything.