What could be happening here?

There is a dying white ring around the full outer edge of this Red Montipora Capricornus, any ideas out there what it could be? 

Normal? 

Disease? 

Growth pattern?

post-2636630-0-50634900-1526001545_thumb.jpeg

post-2636630-0-72773500-1526001554_thumb.jpeg

post-2636630-0-64068400-1526001562_thumb.jpeg

post-2636630-0-77281200-1526001572_thumb.jpeg

You have Monti eating nudibranchs . I can see them in the photos in the white areas. You need to dip the piece. They are very tough to get rid of. You will need to dip multiple times over the course of several weeks. If you have other monti's in the tank they will need to dipped as well. 

You've got Montipora eating nudibranchs. You can see them in the second, third, and last pictures. 

You have Monti eating nudibranchs . I can see them in the photos in the white areas. You need to dip the piece. They are very tough to get rid of. You will need to dip multiple times over the course of several weeks. If you have other monti's in the tank they will need to dipped as well.

100% +1 they are very clearly pictured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

nudi

That piece is going to be hard to save. Looking at the piece I would try and clip off all the dead white around the rims that is where the live nudi's are. Then dip because the eggs are under usually on the underside. You will need to dip multiple times. 

Edited by dpassar12

(edited)

You can dip in coral RX or bayer pest killer (my fav). Important! if you have other monti's in the tank they most likely have them as well, even if you don't see them yet. Dip them. If you lose that piece of red cap I will give you a pest free one for free. I have a ton of in. You just need to pick it up..  PM me if interested. Like fish, corals need to be quarantined to try and spot stuff like this... 

Edited by dpassar12

That piece is going to be hard to save. Looking at the piece I would try and clip off all the dead white around the rims that is where the live nudi's are. Then dip because the eggs are under usually on the underside. You will need to dip multiple times. 

If the nudibranchs are removed, the monti will rapidly recover and grow over the exposed skeleton. 

(edited)

What is the life span of these nudibranch? I think that may be useful information for Daniel if he decides to either get rid of the piece or after dipping how long he needs to keep an eye out them.

What you want to do is get three small buckets, some rubber/latex gloves, and Bayer Advanced "Complete Insect Killer". (Just their basic insect killer don't get any of the with Germ Killer or other varieties)

The first bucket will be a mix of pre-mixed salt water and the Bayer insect killer at a ration of 10ml of Bayer to 1 cup of water or 4 ounces to 1 gallon of waterI believe. (***Someone please confirm this for me, it's been a while and I don't want to give out bad information***)

The second and third buckets will just have pre-mixed salt water in them. (Remember to make sure all of this water is at the same temperature and salinity as your tank so you don't shock the coral)

The coral will need to spend at least 5 minutes but no more than 10 in the first bucket with the bayer mixture. You should swish it around in here or use a turkey baster to flow on the coral to dislodge any nudibranches still attached. 

It should then be swished around the second bucket as a first rinse and then finally the last bucket as a last rinse. Make sure that your rinse the coral very well as you do not want any of the bayer making it into your display tank, that stuff kills invertebrates well and quickly and you don't want it in your tank. I usually change the latex gloves I have on after I tank it out of the first bucket with the bayer and put new ones on for the rinsing buckets.

You can then place it back in your tank. Not sure how often you will need to do this, hopefully someone can chime in on the life cycle of these things or you can find how long it takes them to hatch from eggs but you'll likely need to do it daily or every other day until the problem is corrected.

This is also what I would recommend doing for any new coral you add to your tank as a precaution to preventing infestations like this. Coral RX dip works also but you can spend $8 dollars for enough Bayer to last you years so it's the cheaper option.

Edited by Matt LeBaron

If the nudibranchs are removed, the monti will rapidly recover and grow over the exposed skeleton. 

You'll have to remove more than the nudibranchs. You'll also have to remove any eggs (most often found on the underside of the monti. Most dips won't kill the eggs. Bayer insecticide might. After dipping, it may be advisable to move all of your montis to a QT tank for observation and, possibly, repeated cycles of dipping until you're sure that his pest is gone.

I cannot appreciate this community more! THANK YOU! 

I have gathered all the Coral in the 20Gallon Tank and set them on a Rack, in order to do the above-mentioned procedure

I removed and disposed of the Red Montipora Capricornus since it was too infested and therefore risky to keep. 

I have set up a QT and will move most if not all Corals there 

Questions: 

1-Would you recommend removing the Green algae?

2-Do other corals in QT need proper lighting or can they live on bare minimum lights while in Quarantine?

3-Any filter change?

4-Lifecycle of the Nudibranchs?

I can now tell I was panicking so newbie colors showed through, after recently losing 3 fish to ICK this was a bit too close to the previous event,

Few words: 

Dip and Quarantine!

Thank you All! 

I cannot appreciate this community more! THANK YOU! 

I have gathered all the Coral in the 20Gallon Tank and set them on a Rack, in order to do the above-mentioned procedure

I removed and disposed of the Red Montipora Capricornus since it was too infested and therefore risky to keep. 

I have set up a QT and will move most if not all Corals there 

Questions: 

1-Would you recommend removing the Green algae?

2-Do other corals in QT need proper lighting or can they live on bare minimum lights while in Quarantine?

3-Any filter change?

4-Lifecycle of the Nudibranchs?

For future reference, the monti wasnt too far gone and could have easily been saved. You wouldnt have been able to tell anything was wrong with it in a two months. 

Montipora-eating nudibranchs will only eat montiporas. You can safely leave all your non-montipora corals in the DT.

If there are any eggs or nudibranchs left in your DT, they will starve without a montipora to eat.

Thank you, that I have eead and thaks I have confirmed with your input

Nudibraches will start and die (it is safe to keep Montiporas out of infected tank for up to 2 months)

So far:

I kept all NON-Montiporas inside the main tank (infested) and have not found anymore Nudies, all corals are safe (for now).

Thank you!