The joys of being a saltwater noob

Franco

02ba7b18d1e34646598472dc497229b3.jpg

Should I roll with peppermint shrimp? I've heard lemon juice works also. Came on some live rock I bought. I literally have nothing else in the tank, so figure the lemon juice can't really harm anything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inject into the mouth with lemon juice, kalkwasser or vinegar.

Looks like I'll probably go the lemon juice route since I have some on hand. Thanks!

Edited by Franco

Since it's a brand new setup, why not just take the rock out and scrape it off. Then nuke the area where you you scraped it. If it's a small rock and not important to you, then just leave it out to dry. If all the rock came from the same source, keep your eyes open for more popping up. 

Since it's a brand new setup, why not just take the rock out and scrape it off. Then nuke the area where you you scraped it. If it's a small rock and not important to you, then just leave it out to dry. If all the rock came from the same source, keep your eyes open for more popping up.

It's on a few of the larger, nicer rocks sadly. And yeah, all the rocks came from the same source, so I fully expect to find more of those little suckers popping up somewhere. That alone almost makes me think it might make sense to let the peppermint shrimp sniff them out for me and take care of them...

That is, of course, assuming the ammonia/nitrate cycle doesn't take care of them itself.

That meme fits me perfectly, when I first got into the hobby I was so excited when i bought some live rocks that have corals growing all over it ....later I found out that those were Aptasia ...lol

If you can take out the rock and break the piece where the aiptasia is located, do it.... Dont do a kalk paste, aiptasia x or anything related because the next thing it will happen is that many will appear in a few weeks, spores will get distributed. 

It's on a few of the larger, nicer rocks sadly. And yeah, all the rocks came from the same source, so I fully expect to find more of those little suckers popping up somewhere. That alone almost makes me think it might make sense to let the peppermint shrimp sniff them out for me and take care of them...

That is, of course, assuming the ammonia/nitrate cycle doesn't take care of them itself.

Now there's an idea. If you're up for it, you can just try to add a little household ammonia (pure, no fragrance or color) to bump levels up to 2 ppm or so. It'll be bacteria food but may just kill off any and all Aiptasia on the rocks whether you can see them or not. The ammonia will dissipate as the bacteria consume it. I've not tried this approach, but it seems reasonable on first blush. I'd consider doing this only if there was no high-order life in the tank (including coraline) that you wanted to save. 

I'm curious, can you cover one up totally with putty and glue?  Will that make them spread if you only have one?

Now there's an idea. If you're up for it, you can just try to add a little household ammonia (pure, no fragrance or color) to bump levels up to 2 ppm or so. It'll be bacteria food but may just kill off any and all Aiptasia on the rocks whether you can see them or not. The ammonia will dissipate as the bacteria consume it. I've not tried this approach, but it seems reasonable on first blush. I'd consider doing this only if there was no high-order life in the tank (including coraline) that you wanted to save.

I'm thinking I'm gonna try the whole remove and nuke option. The tank came with a smallish cleanup crew, and they seem to be doing okay so far. Would hate to shock the whole system with extra ammonia knowing it'd kill them. Once the system settles, I'll toss in a peppermint shrimp to take care of any strays that I might have missed by eye.

Man I was so excited to see something other than the CUC growing in my tank haha. The ups and downs of reef ownership

Man I was so excited to see something other than the CUC growing in my tank haha. The ups and downs of reef ownership

Ha! Yes indeed. Just think, if it was a majano, then you'd have been even more excited. After all, with their little splash of color, they're actually kind of nice looking invasive pests.

Kalk and aiptasia x just seem to be temporary fixes. Fought that battle for a couple of years in my 46g bowfront. They just grow back and spread and then you paste them again. Eventually, I just bleached my rock. Also tore down the 46g and put up a 120g.