Quick question .

Tommy

Hey guys ! I am going away for 5 days tomorrow and my tank is having a little algae issue, should I just keep the light off the whole 5 days and no feeding to keep the algea down?  Are the fish going to be ok with no feeding for 5 days if i just fed them a heavy meal and also tomorrow before I leave ?  Thanks 

without light should be fine for a few days but they'll need to eat at least ever other days, they'll surely starve at 5 days..

I wouldn't go 5 days without feeding either. The 5 days without light would be fine for the tank, but I'm not sure how much that would help with reducing algae. If it were cyano, then no lights would help. Algae issues are annoying, but turning off the lights for an extended amount of time is only a temporary fix. Need to find the source of the issue. Good luck

it really depends on what type of fish you have and how is the state of your tank.

I usually roll couple of sheets of nori onto a rock or small pvc tube with rubber bands and leave it for my tangs/angels.

For other fish I use auto feeder once a day.

Even with that I saw one of my chromis die in the 5 days. The chromis was perfectly healthy before I left (I had 5 chromis)

If you have tangs and other herbivore and your tank has sufficient good algae on its rocks - you may be fine (Again if you don't have too many tangs which are already having some aggressive behavior).

If your tank has lots of pods already, you may be ok not feeding other omnivore fish and carnivore like clowns, etc.

If you have anthias, I will say no matter what your setup is ,you risk loosing your anthias eventually (may not be in the 5 days but they may end up loosing their appetite and end up starving).

Don't ever change anything before a vacation. I have learned that the hard way a couple times. I wouldn't go that long without feeding my fish because it's just not a fair way to treat them. Will they live yea probably