Air pump recommendations?

AlanM

I've set up a few quarantine tanks and the little Tetra Whisper pumps I have been using seem to struggle to run my sponge filters well.  They end up being noisy and only run one filter each.  

I'd like a pump that can supply air for an Ozone generator (so pushing through an air dryer and into a skimmer body, etc) as well as a few sponge filters and a brine hatchery, etc.  

I was looking at maybe a Coralife Super Luft Pump SL-38 like this:  https://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife_Super_Luft_Pump_SL_38_Multiple_Outputs_Adjustable_Flow_Plug_In_Air_Pumps-Coralife-ES01656-FIARPIAFMO-vi.html

Does anyone who uses air pumps for things have any good recommendations on high quality light-commercial air pumps like that?  The reviews on the Coralife are a bit mixed.

Alan, the Luft Pump that you've linked to is a low-pressure, high volume 2.9 PSI (and 38 lpm) model. Coralife has another Luft pump that puts out 7 PSI (and 4 lpm), but it has a single output. I have one that I used with ozone for a while. If you'd like to borrow it to test, let me know and I can either mail it to you or send it home with Scott (assuming that he's still working in Herndon).

Tom, I know there was a Luft pump that was a brown square body that put out 7psi, but as far as I've seen lately it's discontinued.  This one: https://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife_Luft_Pump_Single_Output_Adjustable_Flow_Plug_In_Air_Pumps-Coralife-ES01655-FIARPIAFSO-vi.html

If that's the one, do you know of a product that would replace it?

That's the one. I was unaware that it was discontinued. 

So I now have a collector's item. Is that it?

You might.  I figured there would be a bunch of high quality air pumps to look over, but I guess not. 

(edited)

I use a Danner Pond Air Pump AP40 with a 6 way manifold to run my ozone. It runs a lot better than the brown Coraluft air pump that only lasted 2 months for me.

I run the manifold with all the outlets closed except 2. One to adjust, and one fully open to feed the air dryer and ozone reactor. It's been working 24/7 since January.

Whatever you source, the air flow and air pressure can't be too high or it damages the ozone reactor, and too low it doesn't push any air. I used a Dwyer Air Meter to measure. I have a Sanders ozonizer and the manufacturer told me the specs for the unit as far as flow LPM and pressure.

Your problem is going to be most pumps on the market are too low pressure. Operating pressure not highest listed possible.

Edited by FirstContact

look at the Alita line.  We use that line on ponds, and they are commercial quality and have replaceable diaphragms  AL-15 probably long the lines you might want, or an AL-6

(edited)

Alita are not a high pressure rated air pumps. When I contacted them about using their air pumps to power my Avast ozone reactor set up, they advised against it. They suggested the diaphragms would wear out too quickly. They have a low operating pressure. The Danner AP air pumps have replaceable diaphragms too.

I'd like to know if the AL15 pushes air through an air dryer, ozone generator, ozone reactor, and post carbon effluent reactor because Alita makes quality stuff, but I was advised against it by the manufacturer. I think the AL6 is too small.

Edited by FirstContact

I use the alitas all around my shop, but mosly on our koi systems.  However I do have an al 40 on my main marine fish system with part of the air blowing through my ozone into my skimmer, works fine for me however I am not running the ozone in a traditional way...

john