Anemone question

Mattb1612

So I made a mistake. My rock work was pilled up and I was doing some water maintenance and I bump the rock it fell and the anemone look like he gashed him foot, However I picked the rock up and placed him back where he was. He has inflated again and looks okay. Any suggestions besides keeping an eye on him. UGh I feel so bad...

Moved to the general discussion.

The nem will probably be alright. RBTA's are incredibly hearty, more so than they get credit for. Have a beer and enjoy your tank.

Moved to general discussion.

As for the injured anemone - I'm not sure what more you can do but to wait and watch. If it starts to waste away and dissolve, you may want to remove it.

Thank you. I guess I will watch him closely and he seems healthy though like he is fully extended out. 

Some species can be pretty rugged. Some have more issues. Like blank, I had one (a green BTA) go through a prop-pump power head years ago. It got jammed up in the grate that surrounded the prop and I had to basically slide it sideways to remove it - essentially fragging it. What remained was a blob the size of a quarter and another the size of a nickel. I tossed both into my low-flow refugium and lo-and-behold, one survived. I'm sure that there are a lot of stories like this, but also ones where a little tear resulted in an anemone wasting away. 

I've had go through a power head (died) and one through a jebao (also died). I've had outstanding results with the rest (take that back, one got destroyed by a duncan coral about five years ago) of them though. I had a GBTA in Okinawa that grew like a dang weed but that is the only green I've had (rest were RBTAs). Looking back at the critters I've killed over the years hurts my soul.

Injuries on BTAs usually result in splitting through pedal laceration where it essentially rips itself in half.  Similarly, mini maxi anemones do the same thing.  I used to propagate them by simply ripping them a bit or mashing them around a bit.  Other anemones don't take as kindly to injury and can begin to waste away rather quickly if injured, at least in the home aquarium.  Long Tentacles tend to be more flighty and die off when injured rather than splitting.