Hi

ClownLover

Hello. Thought id introduce myself. I'm new here. Also new to va. From Florida.

Just started cycling a 100G seamless. Curved on both ends. With a canopy with a 30G sump and it's in the middle of my living room so all angles are visible.

Roughly 200lbs of live rock.

100lbs of argonite live sand. Packaged.

Lighting is 3 AI hydra fifty two's I removed the old lighting out of the wooden canopy and mounted those.

Water is rodi I make myself. Salt was instant ocean.

It's been setup a week. I poured 2 big bottles

Of bio spira in there to help speed things up and I have rotting raw shrimp in there. Skimmers off. Just power heads are running and the sump filtration. Just a lot of filter floss for now. And live rock rubble in the fuge.

I'm very new to this and would appreciate help with questions. I read a lot of forums so I know terms like fuge and tricks like The shrimp and the bio spira. And the rock rubble.

Oh my water perams are. Ammonia .50PPM. Nitrite 1PPM

Nitrate 20PPM SG 1.025 keeping it at 80° again it's fishless.

I originally wanted to do baby sharks I used to catch my buddy could ship them from Florida. But I'm afraid they'll cut themselves on the live rock.

I want a reef. But triggers and puffers are not reef safe.

I dont think I can do a hippo tang can I? Doing a clown pair. Maybe 2 pairs it's so big they won't ever see each other.

Need stocking ideas please. Hardy fish since I'm new.

Edited by ClownLover

Very nice setup. I noticed your in chantilly. I am too. I don't know everything but if you need some help let me know.

PM me. I hardly check the boards. In fact I might be dissapearing again. Send me your email if you want.

Welcome to the area. Your lighting sounds good enough for a reef tank. Once you start with corals you'll never go back. You're going about it the "right way" and thinking things through. I would highly recommend setting up a QT for your livestock. I've learned the hard way about fish parasites and would hate for you to repeat the same mistakes. Good luck.

First off, welcome!

You can probably have a hippo tang in a tank that size. However, since you've eluded to being "new," be aware that hippo tangs have a reputation for readily developing a case of ich and often succumbing to it shortly after they're introduced to a new home. So it may not be the best place for you to start. 

A couple of clownfish would be an easy addition. 

My recommendation is to take some time and head over to liveaquaria.com and read a little on the requirements of the fish that they carry. I believe there are even sections devoted to fish for nano systems and for people just starting out.

I'd discourage keeping sharks and, possibly, puffers in a reef-type system simply because they often have to eat a lot, which means a lot of waste and pollution to deal with. There are smaller puffers and boxfish that you could try, but be sure that you understand their diet and other needs (such as tooth-trimming) before buying one.

Anyway, it's great to have you here to share the adventure. Thanks for finding us and signing up as a bulletin board member. Please take a moment to click on the link in my signature to explore the benefits of full membership. 

thank you for joining and sharing with us on your journey. if you need anything, we are only a PM away. happy reefing!

Edited by monkiboy

First off, welcome!

You can probably have a hippo tang in a tank that size. However, since you've eluded to being "new," be aware that hippo tangs have a reputation for readily developing a case of ich and often succumbing to it shortly after they're introduced to a new home. So it may not be the best place for you to start.

A couple of clownfish would be an easy addition.

My recommendation is to take some time and head over to liveaquaria.com and read a little on the requirements of the fish that they carry. I believe there are even sections devoted to fish for nano systems and for people just starting out.

I'd discourage keeping sharks and, possibly, puffers in a reef-type system simply because they often have to eat a lot, which means a lot of waste and pollution to deal with. There are smaller puffers and boxfish that you could try, but be sure that you understand their diet and other needs (such as tooth-trimming) before buying one.

Anyway, it's great to have you here to share the adventure. Thanks for finding us and signing up as a bulletin board member. Please take a moment to click on the link in my signature to explore the benefits of full membership.

Oh wow thanks for all that. I did read the membership details. I was wondering if you offered a free trial before joining. Maybe a 3 day or a week trial?

Oh wow thanks for all that. I did read the membership details. I was wondering if you offered a free trial before joining. Maybe a 3 day or a week trial?

No. Sorry. We don't have trial memberships. However, I'll let other members speak to the value that they receive from their membership. 

You have, by the way, found one of the largest, most active local reef clubs in the country.

Aside from the knowledge you gain from this board and the meetings, the $20 membership fee is quickly recouped by buying equipment, livestock, etc from other members in the classifieds section and the SWAP program. 

Edited by mr11

For what it's worth I have clubs closer to me yet choose to be a part of this one. It's a bit of a drive for meetings or linking up to buy/sell but worth it for me. So yeah def worth the $20!

Welcome! Iv had fresh water fish all my life and got into keeping a reef tank about a year ago. I got on WAMAS almost immediately and it was a fantastic decision. The membership fee is a drop in the bucket for the general information, help with tank set ups and takedowns, coral frags sales, the group meetings, and peace of mind that there's a community of like minded hobbyists just a click away. I think if you stick around you'll be very happy. As for live stock in your tank. A school of blue or green cromies would be nice. They are fairly hardy and looks nice darting around the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk