Suggestions on how to kill Zs&Ps?

Reefer_Madness

Anybody have a tried and true method for killing select targeted Zoas? I have some spreading to areas I don't want them in.

Strangely they are spreading/growing in high light areas with low nutrients. They obviously didn't get the memo...

I'm hoping some solution in a syringe so I can have sniper accuracy.

I know some of you on Wamas are very good at killing Zoas....

I've used epoxy to create a mat over them. what kind of zoas and palys are you trying to get rid of? Some will be harder than others (see my battle with pink and golds a few years ago.)

I've used epoxy to create a mat over them. what kind of zoas and palys are you trying to get rid of? Some will be harder than others (see my battle with pink and golds a few years ago.)

A lot of different ones. I did some trading a while back and ended up with a bunch. I saw your battle. A couple of years ago. Mine aren't as invasive. I just have a few randos I don't want.

A lot of different ones. I did some trading a while back and ended up with a bunch. I saw your battle. A couple of years ago. Mine aren't as invasive. I just have a few randos I don't want.

I've got a nice pair of garden sheers that are made for branches about 2" thick (for trees and shrubs, etc.) I use those sometimes to work the rock off that they are on, if that's a possibility.

Just don't go on a rampage man.all z and p have different levels of palytoxin. I don't think you will be on that bad of a rampage to make anyone have the "feel bads"but I would worry about your SPS with trace amounts. I have killed some here and there with no problems. Just something to keep in the back of your mind. I personally would frag them off rock with bone cutters cutting them clean off the rock in the trash then a week or two later clean up with another round of frag trash then follow up the doctors orders with some super glue or Kalk paste with remnants.

Edited by gmerek2

That's what I do.

The other thing I do is cut the tissue between polyps with a razor blade, then use the corner of the razor blade to work the  unwanted part of mat off of the rock. Then you can give them to someone. Wear gloves.

Edited by treesprite

Kalk paste (aka Joe's Juice and Aiptasia X) will do the job. You'll have to turn off your pumps, though, to let the stuff settle on the zoa. And then you'll have to leave it there for an hour or so (typically). 

Good suggestions.  I'm going to give it a try.  It's going to be a case by case prescription.  Some are easy to get to and some are in cracks and such.  The ones I am a most concerned about are huge green ones spreading across the top of a flat spot I want to use.  Zoas really aren't my thing, so I don't get into the names, but I want to say they are called Incredible Hulks?  They are tall (1.5") and take up a bunch of room that would be nice for some new SPS frags I have.  I have not interest in loosing a high end SPS frag to a zoa.....

Wil - the ones I have issues with are randos.  They don't form a mat like the others.