Aiptasia in LFS frag tanks

blmurphy1982

Checked out one of my local stores today in anticipation of some coral purchases in the future and noticed aiptasia literally everywhere. My first thought was, no corals from this place, but is that unfair?

Just wanted some seasoned reefers' opinions.

To each his own. Its what your willing to take a risk on. I have in the past but i also have a ton of peppermint shrimp which make quick work of any that gets in

To each his own. Its what your willing to take a risk on. I have in the past but i also have a ton of peppermint shrimp which make quick work of any that gets in

Peppermint shrimp is the way to go. My tank used to be infested with aiptasia, got a crew of shrimp, and was gone in about a week

That actually sounds like a lfs near me as well. Even the snails are covered in aiptasia. I refuse to buy from there anymore plus there fish selection looks worst then petco.

For me that's a show stopper. If the tanks are that infested with Aiptasia  then what other pests might be hiding that you can't see. No matter the how nice the coral is I would find it somewhere else or wait for the store to clean up their act. 

The LFS closest to me has finger length aiptaisia literally crawling up the glass in the tank.  Most of their tanks have aiptasia so large that the peppermint shrimp can't even make a dent.  

I feel bad for any coral that ends up in Petco's store tanks.  All of the frags Ive seen look horrible.  Not sure if light demands aren't being met, or more likely water parameters safe for fish but out of whack for coral.  

Yeah, I get it that it happens and it's inevitable to have some In a tank but when the aiptasia to frag ratio is 60/40 I do get nervous. Checking out another local store tomorrow with my son that's only open on weekends that I've heard terrific things about.

For me that's a show stopper. If the tanks are that infested with Aiptasia  then what other pests might be hiding that you can't see. No matter the how nice the coral is I would find it somewhere else or wait for the store to clean up their act.

This s so true. I personally don't even like buying corals from people that run wrasse's in their tanks because most of time they were put there for a pest problem. I've found even dipping in bayer it's not 100% to get rid of all pest.

I on the other hand believe most LFS are infected with pests. It's true that 100s of different people put corals in their tanks every year. And suppliers have a crazy amount of corals hoarded. And it is too labor intensive for LFS to dip. Aiptasia is a bummer but if I saw I frag I like I would chop it off the plug, use a tooth brush if there is a skeleton and go with it.

Edited by gmerek2

I agree with a lot of what's on here. I've been incredibly surprised at the plethora of what we consider pests are out there and get passed around. That being said for the most part there is generally a solution maybe not always the more desirable but out there none the less.

I wouldn't dare ask anyone to slander a LFS, but if any of you have recently seen a LFS that has an Aiptasia infestation could you please message me and pass along their name or info, PLEASE?

I'm collecting them for a Berghia food setup and could always use more. THANKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk